Utah

poptart

Be aware of culture shock in places outside ofvSLC.  In many ways it is still small town mentality, which has a great and not so great mentality to it.  Depending on the area there is not much cultural diversity in neighbourhoods.

A family member recently reluctantly moved there from the Bay area and they are very happy with it. The family/kid stuff there is amazing.  They are putting in new communities all over the west side that are already bogged down with traffic. The biggest down side I observed since I grew up there is much worse inversion smog. 

Edited by juliann

I guess it depends on your likes, your age group etc. Do you mind sharing some more info? I've lived here all my life. I live in Davis County and it's pretty great! But I agree with Calm, we are mostly LDS so maybe that's not what you'd like, maybe you'd like more diversity as far as religion. There are some great places in the Salt Lake area as well. It all depends on your needs etc.

I live in Layton near the Hill Air Force base and if you want to feel like you live on the set of Top Gun, this is the place!  It's got a small town feel (there are horses, cows, and sheep in the city limits) but layton is along I-15 so you have access to everywhere.  And with the air force base, we have a fairly good number of nonmembers, which I like.

If it was me in my circumstances, I'd move to a small Utah town, not too far from a temple, where I could be mostly among the Saints to finish out my sojourn here... I love the Oregon coast, but as of late... at age 76...  the rain and gray days have taken their toll...  Utah has such beautiful and diverse areas from the mountains to the deserts.  I wouldn't want to be in a large city... I'm so used to the small town feel here.  Gleneden Beach has maybe 3,000 people if that (only a post office and a nearby market).. and Lincoln City where I attend Church has about 7,500... Sadly IMO, LC has six pot shops.  Six!  LC stretches along HWY 101 for seven miles... that's a pot shop about every mile.  Other than that, the coast is so beautiful.  But if I could think where to move, I'm ready... but where could I go that doesn't have snow in winter and stifling humidity in summer... Calif is out mainly because of the congestion generally and summer heat in my hometown area... sigh... so here I stay...

GG

2 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

If it was me in my circumstances, I'd move to a small Utah town, not too far from a temple, where I could be mostly among the Saints to finish out my sojourn here... I love the Oregon coast, but as of late... at age 76...  the rain and gray days have taken their toll...  Utah has such beautiful and diverse areas from the mountains to the deserts.  I wouldn't want to be in a large city... I'm so used to the small town feel here.  Gleneden Beach has maybe 3,000 people if that (only a post office and a nearby market).. and Lincoln City where I attend Church has about 7,500... Sadly IMO, LC has six pot shops.  Six!  LC stretches along HWY 101 for seven miles... that's a pot shop about every mile.  Other than that, the coast is so beautiful.  But if I could think where to move, I'm ready... but where could I go that doesn't have snow in winter and stifling humidity in summer... Calif is out mainly because of the congestion generally and summer heat in my hometown area... sigh... so here I stay...

GG

Hawaii? ;)

Well at first I wanted to say my own hometown, but remembered we do have the winters with their gray, smog filled days that get downright depressing. 

Your best bet may be St. George, because there's always a way to beat the heat and drive to Pine Valley (makes me think of the soap opera All My Children) nearby, and there's no smog! And it has a bunch of LDS members too, and a temple right in town.

I lived in Santa Clara for a short time while I started high school, which is a little town just outside of St. George. And there are many retired people all around St. George. Back when my family moved there they didn't like outsiders but it's much better now.

Now watch just as Rodheadlee and his wife move to Oregon you'll move to Utah! ;) 

Edited by Tacenda
  • 2 weeks later...