Jump to content

Gift ideas?


Tacenda

Recommended Posts

I know it's a little late, but what do you all like to get your children that are out of the house? I'm feeling like it's boring to just give gift cards or cash. Any ideas? I know that's probably a dumb question since none of you really know my children. Just curious if anyone has found a fun way to gift their children. I ask what they need and some just say nothing, haha. 

Link to comment

Depends on age, personalities and how much you want to spend.

My mom usually gets me a gift card to a restaurant she knows I like, she makes me some of my favorite Christmas candy to take home and a small item or two.  I got a stadium seat thing so I can go watch games in bleachers more comfortably.  She always gets us a movie for the family as well.  

Link to comment

Kaleidoscopes and other nice looking toys to sit on shelves or tables to give people something to do with their hands and minds while visiting (family full of fidgeters due to inherited restless legs)

I go on to museum catalog and other unusual things sites.

Link to comment

I have some really nice rocks you can have...they haven't been named yet..so I know my kids love them every year as pets..Edited to add:  they got tired of the little bags of coal..:P

Edited by Jeanne
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Radio controlled model boats for the men, Sperry Topsiders for the women. 

Funny you mentioned Sperry Topsiders! I did buy my 19 yr. old son some Sperry boat shoes on Amazon! That's all he would tell me he wanted, his are worn out. 

But I'm mad at the little stinker, he and a friend, his roommate, went to California for the Christmas holidays to visit his friend's family. Oh well, he'll have fun. The weather looked nice and balmy!

Link to comment
23 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Take them at their word and get them nothing. ;) 

You wink,  but I agree. My parents want to give us things and I really wish they would take me at my word when I tell them I want  nothing. There is one other thing I would want (I tell them every few years) which is well within their reach,  but they don't do that either.  My husband and I don't even give each other gifts.  I'm glad we both mean and believe it when we say we want nothing. 

Edited by Rain
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I know it's a little late, but what do you all like to get your children that are out of the house? I'm feeling like it's boring to just give gift cards or cash. Any ideas? I know that's probably a dumb question since none of you really know my children. Just curious if anyone has found a fun way to gift their children. I ask what they need and some just say nothing, haha. 

Freezer slow cooker meals. Homemade that they can just throw in the slow cooker.

Link to comment

My mom is loving my daughter in law's vacuumed sealed meals, they probably get old (she has three or four different ones), but so easy and it guarantees balanced meal.  Highly recommend this as a gift for anyone whose health you are concerned about or has a busy life.  Also for singles (a family meal...include a family picture to have on the table while they eat :) ).

My VT gave me dried mango and pineapple, as delicious as any candy given and healthier...though sugars probably close to candy and make sure you brush your teeth :) ).

Specialty popcorn can be fun as stocking stuffers and if concerned about calories (the sweetened stuff often lists sugar as first ingredient), go for the savory variety. I love it with olive oil and Italian seasoning.

If you know their favorite food and it works with popcorn, I bet there is a recipe for it somewhere.  Or the flavoring itself.  For example chicken and waffles:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/263007405/chicken-waffles-gourmet-popcorn

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Calm said:

My mom is loving my daughter in law's vacuumed sealed meals, they probably get old (she has three or four different ones), but so easy and it guarantees balanced meal.  Highly recommend this as a gift for anyone whose health you are concerned about or has a busy life.  Also for singles (a family meal...include a family picture to have on the table while they eat :) ).

My VT gave me dried mango and pineapple, as delicious as any candy given and healthier...though sugars probably close to candy and make sure you brush your teeth :) ).

Specialty popcorn can be fun as stocking stuffers and if concerned about calories (the sweetened stuff often lists sugar as first ingredient), go for the savory variety. I love it with olive oil and Italian seasoning.

If you know their favorite food and it works with popcorn, I bet there is a recipe for it somewhere.  Or the flavoring itself.  For example chicken and waffles:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/263007405/chicken-waffles-gourmet-popcorn

As soon as I read Rain's suggestion, I've been looking for crockpot freezer meals on Pinterest. It will be a lot of work, but I want to do this. Both of my daughters work and I know they would appreciate it so much, and I have a son who is single and living alone that will too.

That seasoning for the popcorn sounds interesting, never heard of it! I'll see what I can find, so unique!

Link to comment
On 12/17/2016 at 6:42 PM, Tacenda said:

I know it's a little late, but what do you all like to get your children that are out of the house? I'm feeling like it's boring to just give gift cards or cash. Any ideas? I know that's probably a dumb question since none of you really know my children. Just curious if anyone has found a fun way to gift their children. I ask what they need and some just say nothing, haha. 

You know your children... what are their interests?... for instance, if one likes to create art or crafts, supplies would be welcome... a reader? then books.  Just think about what each is particularly interested in and go from there... this may sound simplistic but it's true...  Loves to cook? Then a special cooking utensil they may have been wanting... Take the time to really think about each person and you'll know what to get.  It doesn't have to be something big... just something that shows you gave it some thought in relation to them.

Hope you have a good holiday, filled with love...

GG

Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

You know your children... what are their interests?... for instance, if one likes to create art or crafts, supplies would be welcome... a reader? then books.  Just think about what each is particularly interested in and go from there... this may sound simplistic but it's true...  Loves to cook? Then a special cooking utensil they may have been wanting... Take the time to really think about each person and you'll know what to get.  It doesn't have to be something big... just something that shows you gave it some thought in relation to them.

Hope you have a good holiday, filled with love...

GG

You too GG! Hope you do the same!! I'm sure you will!! Hoping to go on another trip to Oregon before too long. My husband still talks about it and wants to go again. Hopefully we can go have lunch with you or do something else if we go!

BTW, I had them answer a questionaire not too long ago on what is their favorite this or that, or favorite thing to do in spare time, etc. I didn't get too much out of them. I spoke to my son today, who is married and lives out of state, his answer was just money is good, no gift cards. :( I hate that because I worry it just goes to bills. But if that's what they need. My dad couldn't afford much but he would give out cash, and once he made it special when he gave out $2.00 dollar bills to all the grandkids and their parents. You don't see those around anymore. 

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

You too GG! Hope you do the same!! I'm sure you will!! Hoping to go on another trip to Oregon before too long. My husband still talks about it and wants to go again. Hopefully we can go have lunch with you or do something else if we go!

BTW, I had them answer a questionaire not too long ago on what is their favorite this or that, or favorite thing to do in spare time, etc. I didn't get too much out of them. I spoke to my son today, who is married and lives out of state, his answer was just money is good, no gift cards. :( I hate that because I worry it just goes to bills. But if that's what they need. My dad couldn't afford much but he would give out cash, and once he made it special when he gave out $2.00 dollar bills to all the grandkids and their parents. You don't see those around anymore. 

Then I'd suggest a small specific personal type gift, and a check for what you can afford to send... 

Would be fun to see you again...

GG

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Tacenda said:

My dad couldn't afford much but he would give out cash, and once he made it special when he gave out $2.00 dollar bills to all the grandkids and their parents. You don't see those around anymore. 

My dad still gives my kids $2.00 bills.

And my dad is incredibly hard to shop for and hates gift cards, so some years, I call up the energy company and pay an amount towards his energy bill.  They can't tell me what he owes, but they are allowed to tell me the average amount of a bill for that home because it is public record (for people buying a new home or renters moving in).  

Link to comment
20 hours ago, Jeanne said:

I have some really nice rocks you can have...they haven't been named yet..so I know my kids love them every year as pets..Edited to add:  they got tired of the little bags of coal..:P

Oh my, this made me laugh! I just saw this post! My dad would threaten us kids with coal every year. You made my day Jeanne!:lol:

My dad would also tell us kids he found us under a rock! And he'd even ask if our face hurt, because it was killing him. :o I miss my dad! 

Pet rocks are real:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Rock  Pet Rocks were smooth stones from Mexico's Rosarito Beach.[3] They were marketed like live pets, in custom cardboard boxes,[3]complete with straw and breathing holes for the "animal."[1] The fad lasted about six months, ending after a short increase in sales during the Christmas season of December 1975. Although by February 1976 they were discounted due to lower sales, Dahl sold 1.5 million Pet Rocks for $4 each,[3] and became a millionaire.[4][5][6]

 

Link to comment
17 hours ago, Rain said:

You wink,  but I agree. My parents want to give us things and I really wish they would take me at my word when I tell them I want  nothing. There is one other thing I would want (I tell them every few years) which is well within their reach,  but they don't do that either.  My husband and I don't even give each other gifts.  I'm glad we both mean and believe it when we say we want nothing. 

That's my husband and I too usually. We're not the house with all the gifts piled under the tree either.   

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
4 hours ago, emeliza said:

My dad still gives my kids $2.00 bills.

And my dad is incredibly hard to shop for and hates gift cards, so some years, I call up the energy company and pay an amount towards his energy bill.  They can't tell me what he owes, but they are allowed to tell me the average amount of a bill for that home because it is public record (for people buying a new home or renters moving in).  

Fantastic idea!!

Link to comment
10 hours ago, emeliza said:

My dad still gives my kids $2.00 bills.

And my dad is incredibly hard to shop for and hates gift cards, so some years, I call up the energy company and pay an amount towards his energy bill.  They can't tell me what he owes, but they are allowed to tell me the average amount of a bill for that home because it is public record (for people buying a new home or renters moving in).  

I tried to do that once for my sister.  They wouldn't let me pay.  Glad you were able to do it.

Link to comment

Thanks for "hittin' and runnin'," S[p]am1.  I'm sure your invaluable two- or three-word contributions to all of these threads will be remembered for years to come. They're certainly one of the things I'll look for when I visit the Wayback Machine a few years hence. :unsure::huh::unsure: 

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...