Seriously No Politics ×

What To Do When Critics Howl Around General Conference

JAHS

Pretty good article on how to handle critics and protesters: 

"The Internet is an easy target for pajama-clad critics trolling the sour waters of discontent to hook the curious.

While faithful members of the LDS Church sometimes feel like punching bags, punching back only leads to black eyes. What we need is not more doctrinal ammunition in the war of words, but more kindness from the wellspring of wisdom.

When sharing our beliefs, civility should not depend on winning or losing an argument. We ensure civility when our character is one of a “meek and lowly...heart” (Doctrine and Covenants 32:1). We should share our beliefs in faith with respect for opposing viewpoints, including the faith to keep silent when emotion says otherwise.

Honest discussion over differences in faith can be healthy, but when civility bleeds away, raised voices are an anemic substitute for substance. Engaging in angry debate over matters of faith often leaves the combatants spiritually bruised and more deeply entrenched in the rightness of their cause."

I think we encounter critics on the internet, but I don't know a church critic in real life that I can think of at the moment.  

As I have aged I also began to value being happy a lot more and tend to avoid or ignore offensive people or those with really bad attitudes.  I appreciate having a good time, having deep conversations, learning new things, serving others, and being with those I love.  I still enjoy exploring new cultures, languages, and beliefs.  I just don't have time to deal with so much negativity that is present with so many critics.  

I find it disappointing that people would protest a religious event, such as general conference or the Manti pageant.  I am sure they win few converts, and I find their motivation suspect.  Of the few times I have had contact these types of protesters, I tend to ignore them.

I've always thought treating them nicely is a good way. Get them food and drink. Let them be surprised by our love and kindness.

That is true but I have to admit fire hoses and dogs has some appeal.

Edited by ERayR

Many years ago I used to have some pretty active online debates with other "Christians" critical against the Church. I soon realized what a waste of time it mostly was. After that I finally decided it was better to just teach and testify rather than argue and judge. 

Many years ago I used to have some pretty active online debates with other "Christians" critical against the Church. I soon realized what a waste of time it mostly was. After that I finally decided it was better to just teach and testify rather than argue and judge.

That's typically my approach. Learned it in the mission field. Bible bashing is, well, bashing. Does the Spirit testify of contention or does it take a short vacation till the strife is passed?