Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

A Good Thing About Pope Francis


Recommended Posts

Posted

Past popes have worn fancy robes with designs on them and that large pope hat which looks like a bucket and act as religious rules. Pope Francis is a very down to earth man. He wears a simple plain white robe and a simple white cap. He doesn't believe in the material objects that the past ones have worn. And he seems to deeply care about his people and acts more like a religious teacher than a religious ruler. I'm not catholic, but I thought I should give credit where credit is due, and it makes me appreciate how our modern day prophets just wear suits and live in simple apartments. I love modesty and the lack of need of fancy material possessions. That's why I'm kind of confused when we're promised in the afterlife thrones, kingdoms and crowns. I hope they're modest thrones, crowns and kingdoms and more like spiritual ones of light and not physicalness.

Posted (edited)

Throne, crowns and kingdoms were used as metaphors because that is what the majority of people in history have lived under. There was nearly always a central ruler with absolute power over life and death. The use of the symbol ' the sword ' connects to the vast majority of people. It would be hard to explain that the garden of Eden was guarded by a cherubim and a flaming AK47.

VGJ, do a wiki search to see that the popes background and religious orders strongly influence his demeanor and dress.

Edited by strappinglad
Posted (edited)

True. And one scripture says we will bow to Jesus' scepter. I doubt Jesus is holding a scepter like some pharaoh. I feel things like the crown will be spiritual light radiating from our resurrected bodies. And I bet the throne is just a metaphor and will be spiritual cosmic light that we can sit on. Blazing light that we can control and not a metal or gold throne like kings of the earth have sat in. I don't think Heavenly Father is that materialistic.

Edited by VideoGameJunkie
Posted

Past popes have worn fancy robes with designs on them and that large pope hat which looks like a bucket and act as religious rules. Pope Francis is a very down to earth man. He wears a simple plain white robe and a simple white cap. He doesn't believe in the material objects that the past ones have worn.

 

Hello VGJ..

We of all people should be understanding of priestly robes and symbolism... and certainly not criticize... and how do you know he "doesn't believe" in the material objects past popes have worn.  Describing his headwear as a bucket probably goes over as well as someone describing our temple garments as magic underwear...  

I agree with Calmoriah...

 

GG

Posted

I'm just saying that Pope Francis acts and dresses modest.

 

I have to agree.  I've certainly never seen his shoulders in a spaghetti strap dress.

Posted

I'm just saying that Pope Francis acts and dresses modest.

 

That's not all you said...

 

GG

Posted

I didn't mean to bash past popes apparel, but then why does Pope Francis not wear them? Why does he dress the way he does? Would it really be like me not wearing my temple garments or participate with the endowment clothing?

Posted

Past popes have worn fancy robes with designs on them and that large pope hat which looks like a bucket and act as religious rules. Pope Francis is a very down to earth man. He wears a simple plain white robe and a simple white cap. He doesn't believe in the material objects that the past ones have worn. 

Hi, the white cassock and skullcap are the ordinary, everyday, clothing that a pope wears. Pope Francis hasn't changed this practice. Perhaps you are just noticing more pictures of Pope Francis outside of liturgy than you have other popes? He wears a black suit under the cassock.

 

The mitre, which is the hat you are referring to as a bucket, is worn during religious ceremonies. It symbolizes the Popes authority to teach. Bishops and Cardinals also wear them.

 

You are correct, however, that Pope Francis has chosen to use materials for the papal insignia/regalia that cost less. However, the liturgical vestments aren't his, they belong to the Church. He has available to him every previous Pope's vestments, which he has worn on occasion.

Posted

The robes of the popes and other priestly offices (not sure of the correct term) have great symbolic meaning to them I understand and I assume the finery is a reflection of their desire to glorify God much as LDS use the finest things in beautifying our temples.

 

We should not criticize that which we do not understand.  

 

 

Well said!

Posted

I didn't mean to bash past popes apparel, but then why does Pope Francis not wear them? Why does he dress the way he does? Would it really be like me not wearing my temple garments or participate with the endowment clothing?

A Pope has certain dress that he is expected/required to wear. But he can and does change particular details, and so over time the papal style changes. Pope Francis has focused very strongly on aligning to the poor, and the virtue of humility. His choice to not use the more expensive vestments reflects his focus.

 

I don't think it can be compared to temple garments, as there is no covenant-type relationship in papal vestments. Papal clothing and vestments are symbolic for his position as the Vicar of Christ, the successor to St. Peter, and to his priestly functions.

Posted (edited)

A good thing about every other pope:

 

They realized the obligation to honor the office to which they had been elevated.

 

When non-Catholics praise one pope against the other 265, it seems like a praise that would have to be incompatible to the Catholic faith that #266 supposedly represents.

Edited by 3DOP
Posted (edited)

I didn't mean to bash past popes apparel, but then why does Pope Francis not wear them? Why does he dress the way he does? Would it really be like me not wearing my temple garments or participate with the endowment clothing?

 

Good questions. I don't know about or have an opinion about your temple garments. I admit that I am always a little offput when non-Catholics have opinions about our religious attire. I understand that non-Catholics are very pleased with how the current pope has rejected his "papal garments". How would you feel about a Church President who in public wore blue jeans and a T-shirt, in stark contrast to all of his predecessors to the praise of all the non-Mormons who lauded him for his "humility".

 

Let me ask you another question Video Game Junkie. Is singularity (a determination to be unique), a virtue or a vice according to LDS moral theology?

Edited by 3DOP
Posted

VGJ...

I only mention temple garments because we don't like it when non-LDS who do not understand them or their purpose comment on them in a derogatory or mocking way, not because of similar symbolism, use, etc.  I simply don't think we should use terms like "bucket" to describe headwear that obviously has meaning to Catholics, any more than I appreciate people referring to garments as magic underwear. 

 

GG

Posted

3DOP, that's a very good question. I love being unique. If I was prophet of the church, in public, especially during the summer I would wear a t shirt and basketball shorts. But I'd wear a suit for General Conference and meetings. But I would be the first prophet to not always wear a suit jacket if I wanted to be comfortable. The white shirt and tie should be enough to get my point across. I think it can be a vice. Growing up Mormon I've always been taught to conform to dress code and be like everyone else. I mean they won't allow you to pass the sacrament starting at age 12 or bless the sacrament at age 16 unless you're wearing a white shirt. So in conclusion, singularity is frowned upon in the church.

 

If you speak disrespectfully of other religious leaders again you will be removed from the thread.

Posted

3DOP, that's a very good question. I love being unique. If I was prophet of the church, in public, especially during the summer I would wear a t shirt and basketball shorts. But I'd wear a suit for General Conference and meetings. But I would be the first prophet to not always wear a suit jacket if I wanted to be comfortable. The white shirt and tie should be enough to get my point across. I think it can be a vice. Growing up Mormon I've always been taught to conform to dress code and be like everyone else. I mean they won't allow you to pass the sacrament starting at age 12 or bless the sacrament at age 16 unless you're wearing a white shirt. So in conclusion, singularity is frowned upon in the church.

Don't go to BYU Idaho, no shorts allowed.
Posted (edited)

saemo, thanks for all the great information! I think Pope Francis is a wonderful man who will go to heaven and be blessed for sure. I love his focus on the poor.

You're welcome.

The Catholic,Church has always focused on the poor. :) Pope Francis reflects his Franciscan background. Catholics can be Catholics, in a lot of different ways. Papal regalia is normal for Catholics. It is correct to the high office to which we hold the Vicar of Christ. Which honors God, not the man.

Edited by saemo
Posted

Perhaps it would be more like why President Monson focuses more on the widows and poor in our church, than most other prophets before him... it is near and dear to his heart.

Some have focused on missionary work, temples, BofM, etc.

As I understand it the current pope worked a long time with the poor and needy so he is simply used to dressing... down(not sure if this quite fits)?

And, like Saemo states, he does wear the finer/ceremonial attire in the appropriate places, but we simply see more of his every day life in pictures.

Posted

You're welcome.

The Catholic,Church has always focused on the poor. :) Pope Francis reflects his Franciscan background. Catholics can be Catholics, in a lot of different ways. Papal regalia is normal for Catholics. It is correct to the high office to which we hold the Vicar of Christ. Which honors God, not the man.

 

You're confusing me a little. What Franciscan background are you referring to? He is a Jesuit. Not that he doesn't hold the values of the Franciscans, but he doesn't have a Franciscan background.

Posted (edited)

How would you feel about a Church President who in public wore blue jeans and a T-shirt, 

 

I would love it - dump the white shirts!

 

Not sure I could picture Pres Monson dressed like that, but President Packer in blue jeans and a "wife beater" t-shirt, maybe some scuffed motorcycle boots -- yeah I can picture that.

Edited by mnn727
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...