Hastening The Work-What Does That Even Mean?

Saw the broadcast in June. Other then lowering the age so that more people are serving as missionaries, missionaries using social media and less tracting, how is the Lord hastening the work? I don't even know what it means? is it supposed to mean more baptisms?

Saw the broadcast in June. Other then lowering the age so that more people are serving as missionaries, missionaries using social media and less tracting, how is the Lord hastening the work? I don't even know what it means? is it supposed to mean more baptisms?

I think it means "quicken," in the scriptural sense. I think it also means our individually putting more "umph" into it, spiritually and temporally.

• Upvote 1

Basically yes.

No, I think it means we've got to get busy because the end is sooner than we think.

• Upvote 1

The church has been loafing all this time?

No. Though, except for the minute or two about the announcement of missionaries phasing into spending a portion of their time with internet finding/ministry, there wasn't anything in the broadcast that couldn't have been said a decade or so ago. Not being new doesn't negate it being important, however. Apparently we need to implement our charge to proclaim the gospel a bit better.

• Upvote 1

is it supposed to mean more baptisms?

As we have tried to apply the outlined principles in our ward, that has indeed been one of the outcomes. And heaps of less-active members returning, too. Plus a ward council and increasingly other members who are genuinely engaged in the work of salvation.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Upvote 1

My niece is serving in the Argentina mission.

She said they have a huge problem with inactivity there. Needless to say her mission is concentrating on bringing them back. A mission is definitely for the missionary also, in doing service and putting others before themselves. Every young adult should do that through any means possible. Maybe the church is seeing this in a big way, it might be what keeps the church strong. Missionary work is all we hear about these days.

• Upvote 1

has·ten

: to cause (something) to happen more quickly

: to move or act quickly

With all due respect, most of the problems I've seen with retention of new converts are a result of too much hastening. If our goal is to baptize people and make it stick, we should slow down the missionary work.

I'm not sure this is what the church had in mind, but Ohio recently upped the speed limit for the main highway between Cleveland and Columbus.  It now takes about 5-10 minutes less travel time to get to the temple.  Increasing the speed limit has also led to a hastening of green house gases and global warming.  Perhaps that's part of the story too.

• Upvote 1

No, I think it means we've got to get busy because the end is sooner than we think.

Don't be too hasty. From Boyd K Packer, the end is not nigh (in a talk directed at the youth):

Sometimes you might be tempted to think as I did from time to time in my youth: “The way things are going, the world’s going to be over with. The end of the world is going to come before I get to where I should be.” Not so! You can look forward to doing it right—getting married, having a family, seeing your children and grandchildren, maybe even great-grandchildren.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/counsel-to-youth?lang=eng

Oct 2011

As to the OP. "Hastening the work" is little more than a marketing slogan. Something to rally the foot soldiers behind. I wouldn't be surprised if some marketing consultants got paid handsomely to come up with. Maybe they got Deseret Media's "heartsell" team onto it.

Anyone remember the 1999 call to double our efforts and double our baptisms? Hmm...

Personally I'd rather "lift where I stand" and get on with life. The "branded" initiatives get a little tiresome.

• Upvote 2

As we have tried to apply the outlined principles in our ward, that has indeed been one of the outcomes. And heaps of less-active members returning, too. Plus a ward council and increasingly other members who are genuinely engaged in the work of salvation.

Hamba, you seem to live in the perfect ward. If ever you suddenly stop posting here we'll have to presume that you've been part of "City of Enoch 2.0"

Don't be too hasty. From Boyd K Packer, the end is not nigh (in a talk directed at the youth):

When I say the end I'm referring to this Telestial existence. As we know the world goes on but under a righteous government. I think when Christ comes we will go on much as we do now. Children will still go to school, grownups will have occupations and we will still be building houses and temples and missionaries will still be teaching. So he is right it will go on and i think a key phrase is "You can look forward to doing it right." I would love my grandchildren to grow up in that kind of world. And we won't have the IRS.

Edited by Deborah

cough(just tithing settlement)cough

Actually I don't think even that. I think at that point we will be fully living the Law of Consecration; tithing is after all a lesser form of consecration.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/counsel-to-youth?lang=eng

Oct 2011

As to the OP. "Hastening the work" is little more than a marketing slogan. Something to rally the foot soldiers behind. I wouldn't be surprised if some marketing consultants got paid handsomely to come up with. Maybe they got Deseret Media's "heartsell" team onto it.

Anyone remember the 1999 call to double our efforts and double our baptisms? Hmm...

Personally I'd rather "lift where I stand" and get on with life. The "branded" initiatives get a little tiresome.

I think the Packer quote was trying to head off the really short term thinking that comes with people thinking the world is going to end in the near term. I have gotten to be kind of snippy when I hear that kind of talk anymore usually uttered to support not trying to change something for the better.

Hamba, you seem to live in the perfect ward.

Haha, I wish! We are so, so far from perfect -- an assessment I'm in a solid position to be making. At the same time, what I have discovered, and what so many others in my ward seem to be discovering as well, is that simply letting go of cynicism, pseudo-sophistication, and anything else we use to mask our selfishness and/or lack of faith and following the clear directions of the living prophets brings about the promised outcomes -- both in our personal lives and in the lives of others. I got to go to the temple last weekend with our Young Men president, and he kept telling me over and over that he's never been happier and that his family has never before been so blessed since he woke up and joined the current call to 'hasten'. I can see the changes all around me in our ward. For example, greater peace and harmony have come to this man's family as contention in the home has completely melted away. At the same time, he's extending those same blessings to others.

As we were driving back from the temple Saturday afternoon, he asked if we might visit a couple of inactive families upon returning. We were both exhausted after a 600-km trip, but it seemed like the perfect ending to our day, so instead of going home we made two visits first. Both were warm and effective. The second family I have visited a number of times in the past, since they moved into our ward about three years ago. They have always been cold and unwelcoming, but this past Saturday they were warm and open. As the YM president talked simply (because he's a very simple man) but sincerely about the blessings of the temple, the mother opened up and said they might be at church the next morning. They weren't, but then their home teacher rang me Tuesday night to report that the mum had that evening asked for help doing family history work and wanted someone to start taking her girls to church on Sundays. And in our ward, when someone asks for that kind of help, we make sure it's given.

Every week in ward council or PEC, ward leaders report on whom they've visited during the week, how the visits went, and what needs to happen next, and then we follow up and do it. Some weeks everything falls apart, but with only a couple of exceptions (our ward clerk and our YSA advisor), every single member of ward council is doing what we've been asked to do, and it's obviously working. It's made them all happier and livelier, and people's lives are being blessed at the same time.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
  • Upvote 1

It means leaving behind the notion, and all those who won't give it up, that we can sit around and wait for the Lord to do something for us.    Specifically it means also, besides the things you mentioned and others as well, getting on board with ward councils that actively go out and visit and high Councilmen called who are good at reactivating prospective Elders, etc.

I argued strenuously against that last because it meant some good Elder's Quorum Presidents were being taken by the Stakes to serve on the High Council.  My argument was that they are already doing a good job with the prospective Elders in their own wards.

Sometimes, hastening the work sounds like the death rate will increase for those of us who might be lazy or set in our ways.  The Lord is tired of waiting on this generation to get off their duffs.  I hope that refers only to the prospective Elders...

:pirate:

• Upvote 1

It means leaving behind the notion, and all those who won't give it up, that we can sit around and wait for the Lord to do something for us.    Specifically it means also, besides the things you mentioned and others as well, getting on board with ward councils that actively go out and visit and high Councilmen called who are good at reactivating prospective Elders, etc.

I argued strenuously against that last because it meant some good Elder's Quorum Presidents were being taken by the Stakes to serve on the High Council.  My argument was that they are already doing a good job with the prospective Elders in their own wards.

Sometimes, hastening the work sounds like the death rate will increase for those of us who might be lazy or set in our ways.  The Lord is tired of waiting on this generation to get off their duffs.  I hope that refers only to the prospective Elders...

:pirate:

I feel your pain, one of my best chums is the EQ pres. here but he is literally impossible to get a hold of. So if you need something from him sunday is the day to ask!

Specifically it means also, besides the things you mentioned and others as well, getting on board with ward councils that actively go out and visit...

One of the things I have loved watching as our ward council has come alive is the active role our sisters have taken in the work of ministry.

My niece is serving in the Argentina mission.

She said they have a huge problem with inactivity there. Needless to say her mission is concentrating on bringing them back. A mission is definitely for the missionary also, in doing service and putting others before themselves. Every young adult should do that through any means possible. Maybe the church is seeing this in a big way, it might be what keeps the church strong. Missionary work is all we hear about these days.

We do indeed hear a lot about missionary work these days, Tacenda.

But we also hear increasingly about temples, temple work, and the increasing efficiency and speed of genealogical work.

The Church continues to rapidly expand into these and other areas as it increases the breadth of its worldwide footprint.

Digital systems and social media have a lot to do with all of that, and those are things which were not available until recently.

Reminds me of a science fiction story about a monastery in Tibet which was intent on bringing on the end more quickly:  They purchased  computers and a computer technician was brought in to advise them.  They knew that if they printed all the possible names of God, then the world would end.  With computers the end came quickly, and the last thing the computer techie saw was the stars going out.

Of course. 2nd gear for the last 180 years or so. No one was putting any effort at all.

All kidding aside, we simply didn't have the technology, nor the world reach we have now.  Mormons were few and deeply engaged in just doing the basics of survival.  You may be too young to recall, but there were only about a million Mormons when I was baptized.