Gospel Study

Mustard

I need help...

When I am I'm the mood, gospel study for me is most enlightening. But most of the time I plop open the scriptures or open the iPad app and I am so not motivated to read even a verse. My big problem is I have many topics I want to dig into but I have no idea how to effectively study topics - I just have no idea where to begin. I was wondering if any of you could give me some pointers on how you study the gospel and what methods work for you. Thanks.

LDS.org has a great gospel topics resource. You can select a topic and then read scriptures talks etc on that topic.

Personally I prefer to read from my paper scriptures still. If I try to study on my electronic device I'll soon be distracted by some social media notification pinging at me.

I need help...

When I am I'm the mood, gospel study for me is most enlightening. But most of the time I plop open the scriptures or open the iPad app and I am so not motivated to read even a verse. My big problem is I have many topics I want to dig into but I have no idea how to effectively study topics - I just have no idea where to begin. I was wondering if any of you could give me some pointers on how you study the gospel and what methods work for you. Thanks.

Just a few ideas:

To over come the "mood" effect: in your daily prayers, don't stop until you identify something specific from the scriptures for which you are truly greatful.

To overcome the "plop" effect: set a time aside each day (preferably morning) to read. This will develop some discipline--it may not be fun all the time, but the Lord knows you're trying.

To overcome the "motivation" effect: memorize a passage that you can reflect on throughout the day. After awhile it will take on new and deeper meanings.

To study by topic, try lds.org's Gospel Topics. Or, stay up to date on the priesthood manual lessons, which are also by topic, and you can branch out from there.

Good luck!

By keeping up with the Sunday curriculum and Ensign, temple attendance and serving in my calling, and just by living life, I find many things that catch my attention for study.

LDS.org has a great gospel topics resource. You can select a topic and then read scriptures talks etc on that topic.

I love LDS.org's resources, here is the link:

http://www.lds.org/scriptures/study-helps?lang=eng

you can choose from:

Personally I prefer to read from my paper scriptures still. If I try to study on my electronic device I'll soon be distracted by some social media notification pinging at me.

I agree, there is something soothing about the feel of an old-fashioned book.

I downloaded the Doctrines of the Gospel institute book on my Nook and it really helps me study. Each chapter is a simple gospel topic, like revelation or God the Father for example, and then it just lists scriptures and quotes from prophets. There is no commentary.

I've been amazed at how much I look forward to studying now.

Edited by bluebell

I need help...

I start with the Bible, beginning with Genesis then go through Revelation, one or two chapters

a day. As I read, I take notes on a piece of paper and then commit them to electronic format

where I add extra comment or insight (including keywords to signify a specific topic - makes

it easy to search afterwards). It's pretty slow this way but some things are worth going through

slowly.

If you want 'fast', then a topical guide in book or website form will do.

Regards,

Jim

I need help...

I find a scripture about something on my mind or a debate in which I am involved. I read the scripture(s) and the follow the footnotes for about an hour, sometimes more...it is fascinating where this can take you. One of the best means of study is to find a topic and go to the Bible dictionary, and then follow those scriptures. Anyway this is my method. I hope this is helpful. :)

For an awesome study guide for the Book of Mormon, Brant Gardner wrote a great set of books that goes verse by verse and give great insight into what is in it. I would never had the patience to do such a thing.

There is on the web, a draft copy of it before it was published. Not as good, but it's still a great read.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090227035032/http://frontpage2000.nmia.com/~nahualli/commentary.htm

Try proving the anti's are wrong. There is much debate and you may convert someone. And that someone may be yourself. Then again according to some the LDS scripture is not without error and can be changed to accommodate the new view. Interesting but difficult to sustain historically. So glad the Bible is confirmed by archeologists and lives in the true believer by inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Social Hall is designated as a place to have civil and friendly conversations.  You will be banned if you attack anyone's religion in this folder.