Shout Out To Pope Francis

bluebell

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis said on Saturday it pained him to see priests driving flashy cars, and told them to pick something more "humble".

As part of his drive to make the Catholic Church more austere and focus on the poor, Francis told young and trainee priests and nuns from around the world that having the latest smartphone or fashion accessory was not the route to happiness.

"It hurts me when I see a priest or a nun with the latest model car, you can't do this," he said.

"A car is necessary to do a lot of work, but please, choose a more humble one. If you like the fancy one, just think about how many children are dying of hunger in the world," he said.

Since succeeding Pope Benedict in March, the former cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has eschewed some of the more ostentatious trappings of his office and has chosen to live in a Vatican guest house rather than the opulent papal apartments.

The ANSA news agency said the pope's car of choice for moving around the walled Vatican City was a compact Ford Focus.

The return button doesn't work on my posts right now, and I didn't want to clutter the OP by having my thoughts mixed in with the article, but I did want to say that I think Pope Francis is pretty awesome.

I drive a Focus ! :clapping::yahoo::clapping::rofl:

P.S. Then again, with all of that traveling around the country, that can get pretty opulent and ostentatious ... Of course, Vatican City is the world's smallest country, so I guess it's OK. :huh::unsure::rofl:

P.P.S: My Focus is kinda tricked out, though. I wonder if that's OK. :huh::unsure::rofl:

I want my priest to dive a nice car. He drives an old Subaru with over 200,000 miles on it. It isn't a choice between dead children and a decent car.

Maybe i'm reading him wrong, but it didn't sound like the Pope has anything against decent cars (after all, ford focuses are not cheap and he seems fine driving one of those). I thought, through his use of the word 'flashy' and his desire that the clergy be more humble in their choices, that he was talking about those cars that are status symbols or which draw attention to the driver because they are so fancy or opulent. :)

That can apply to us Mormons too! :)

Maybe i'm reading him wrong, but it didn't sound like the Pope has anything against decent cars (after all, ford focuses are not cheap and he seems fine driving one of those). I thought, through his use of the word 'flashy' and his desire that the clergy be more humble in their choices, that he was talking about those cars that are status symbols or which draw attention to the driver because they are so fancy or opulent. :)

I appreciate the thread and the post. Its good of you to note that you approve of the pope. But I have never seen a priest in a flashy car and I disagree with the pope's leftist politics. I'll leave it at that.

3DOP

The return button doesn't work on my posts right now, and I didn't want to clutter the OP by having my thoughts mixed in with the article, but I did want to say that I think Pope Francis is pretty awesome.

Yes, bluebell, he is a true man of God. I love the guy, and I'm not even Catholic.

We don't need more Vatican Bank scandals. We need more men like Pope Francis, a man with a good heart and good values. The simple and humble people of the world look to such men for advocacy on their behalf. Who else will speak for them?

It is as though the Pope in "Shoes of the Fisherman" has come to life in our time.

I appreciate the thread and the post. Its good of you to note that you approve of the pope. But I have never seen a priest in a flashy car....

3DOP

Perhaps it is something he has been seeing around Rome?

Though I have been impressed with some of the things that Pope Francis has been doing, I have talked with enough good Catholics like my friend 3DOP to know that South American priests may come with a very leftist political agenda that motivates some of their perceived charity. There is a long history of problems with SA priest theology and what the Catholic Church actually teaches. I am not wanting to discount the good he is doing, but he has put many Catholics in a wait and see mode with a degree of concern. I do think that not living in the papal apartments is bit silly, but then again I have never seen them. Maybe in staying away he seeks to avoid the temptation of getting wrapped up in what he is obviously trying to teach the Italian priesthood.

The ANSA news agency said the pope's car of choice for moving around the walled Vatican City was a compact Ford Focus.

Was it the ANSA or NSA international?

All jokes aside the Pope is a PR beast. He is definitely going to get many people from my generation to join Catholicism. You know "leftist" is really in right now.

I would prefer to see leftist and rightist when talking about people of God go out the window and focus instead on faith, hope, and charity. Anyone that espouses these principles and lives them will reflect the Holy Spirit regardless of which church they belong. Tyler, have you ever investigated the Catholic Church? You will find that it is a wonderful religion, but it does not mince words or standards about its desire to follow Christ, as in: against SSM, SSA, and some of your other strongly held beliefs. You will find the CC has far more in common with the LDS Church than what is dissimilar.

I would prefer to see leftist and rightist when talking about people of God go out the window and focus instead on faith, hope, and charity. Anyone that espouses these principles and lives them will reflect the Holy Spirit regardless of which church they belong. Tyler, have you ever investigated the Catholic Church? You will find that it is a wonderful religion, but it does not mince words or standards about its desire to follow Christ, as in: against SSM, SSA, and some of your other strongly held beliefs. You will find the CC has far more in common with the LDS Church than what is dissimilar.

Rather that is followng Christ is strongly up for debate.

As far as knowing about the Catholic Church, I know a bit. I do not know what happens on Sundays in the Catholic Church, heard it is pretty symbolic. I do know the history and many beliefs the Catholic Church holds. Despite all that he will gain followers, cult of personality.

That can apply to us Mormons too! :)

That's what I thought was so great about it. I can't imagine any Christian on the planet that couldn't benefit from the reminder or wouldn't be happy to have the sentiment expressed as part the teachings of Christ. :)

I appreciate the thread and the post. Its good of you to note that you approve of the pope. But I have never seen a priest in a flashy car and I disagree with the pope's leftist politics. I'll leave it at that.

3DOP

Who knew we would see the day on here that a Mormon would be defending a teaching of the Pope to a practicing Catholic. :D

I thought Priests took poverty vows? So are they using family money?

I believe they do take a vow of poverty, but I have no idea how that is supposed to translate to real life for Catholic clergy.

No, Catholics priests don't take a vow of poverty, they aren't monks, but lives in a more "secular" way, with the danger of materialistic temptations, because they use money every day.

No, Catholics priests don't take a vow of poverty, they aren't monks, but lives in a more "secular" way, with the danger of materialistic temptations, because they use money every day.

I realize not all priests take such vows, but I was under the impression that some do. Could definitely be wrong about that though.

Archived