Nba Hall Of Famer Karl Malone And Missionaries Question

This article from Deseret News got me wondering if the Church has a certain protocol or approach when it comes to Missionary Work to more notable/public figures? Or is it left to the Mission President in the specific area to approach it however he feels? The photo of 4 FT missionaries in this article leads me to assume maybe the best of the best was made available to teach him? This is only an assumption of mine of course but I wonder about the process? Obviously its feather in the hat for the church when famous figures show interest so is there 'special treatment' offered or made available? Assuming there is I'm not sure how I feel about that. Thoughts?

That's a great question ... rank-and-file missionaries versus Assistants to the President for high-profile investigators, that kind of thing? :unknw: Beats me. (I was only a District Leader for a short time ... ;)) I'd be surprised if it weren't left to the Mission President's discretion. He holds the keys for the missionary work in his mission. Just my 1.896537025 cents' worth. :)

P.S.: Why would the number of missionaries lead you to believe Brother Malone received any special treatment? Why couldn't it be that the Malones said, "Hey, why don't we go ahead and have all the missionaries in the District over for dinner?" or that one missionary said to another, "Hey, do any of you guys want to meet Karl Malone?" and word got around? I think you might be making a whole lot of something out of a whole lot of nothing.

Edited by Kenngo1969

. (I was only a District Leader for a short time ... ;))

ME too, despite being told a few times by the AP's that I would train some one. Oh well. I had a good mission.

On another note, the Mail Man is co owner of Teriyaki Grill. I think there are 5 or 6 locations in Utah and one in LA. I only know this because I went there yesterday to eat and asked the lady why they had one in LA and 5 in Utah.

http://t-grill.com/locations/.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

This article from Deseret News got me wondering if the Church has a certain protocol or approach when it comes to Missionary Work to more notable/public figures? Or is it left to the Mission President in the specific area to approach it however he feels? The photo of 4 FT missionaries in this article leads me to assume maybe the best of the best was made available to teach him? This is only an assumption of mine of course but I wonder about the process? Obviously its feather in the hat for the church when famous figures show interest so is there 'special treatment' offered or made available? Assuming there is I'm not sure how I feel about that. Thoughts?

Important to note; any Elder outranks any celebrity. Also fame should nave no bearing on how we approach someone. A policy is in place the way Christ and his Fishermen took care of the issue. Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

There are four elders in my town, a set for each ward, soon to be eight with an additional two sets of sister missionaries. With the sisters here, I expect the missionary work to take off again.

I try having all four over for dinner. I just found out that one of the elders in the other ward has a sister who married a nephew of mine. The only reason I found out was he pronounced my last name perfectly when I was introduced to him.

I remember when Karl Malone went to the Lakers for his last year (in a desperate attempt to win an NBA title). He took out a full-page ad in the DN and SLT thanking the people of Utah for his time there. He said that when he got there, as a young teenager from Lousiana, he was shocked that they would throw a big parade just for him on his birthday (July 24). :)

I won't claim any knowledge of any special protocol, especially not in this present time.

That being said, I would imagine that there is some kind of general advice or guidance to mission presidents that they receive during their training.

But an examination of the conversion story of Gladys Knight (found here in Meridian Magazine "The Gladys Knight Conversion Story"), makes it sound that no special guidance was followed -- although because two of her children were already active members and were the chief influence in her investigations, this might not have been applicable, even if the guidance exists.

There doesn't seem to be much evidence of special guidance in the conversion story of Eldridge "Soul on Ice" Cleaver, either. See MormonMatters.org on this: "From Black Panther to Mormon: the Case of Eldridge Cleaver". Although he apparently met with President Ezra Taft Benson, and I recall hearing a talk by Cleon Skousen in which he described his meeting with Cleaver, I don't see any evidence of special handling.

With Thurl Bailey's conversion story, there is likewise no evidence of any special handling (although he wasn't baptized in the USA, but in Italy where perhaps his fame had less impact?): "Thurl Bailey's Wonderful Life".

Just noticed that these are all black Mormons. I guess they stand out in my mind best, and who wants to bring Glen Beck into it with all the political baggage? Although i don't believe he was famous when he joined the Church.