Jump to content

What religious background has the highest probability of converting to Mormonism?


What religious background has the highest probability of converting to Mormonism?  

34 members have voted

  1. 1. Please choose the answer that best fits your position

    • Conservative Protestant (emphasis on Jesus as God, holds the Bible to be inerrant)
      9
    • Liberal Protestant (emphasis on social causes, does not consider the Bible inerrant)
      5
    • Catholic
      17
    • Non-Christian religion (e.g., Hindu, Muslim)
      1
    • No religious background or preference, atheist or agnostic
      2


Recommended Posts

On 2/7/2018 at 7:54 AM, Gray said:

What about equal dignity and worth regardless of gender or sexual orientation? How does that Catholic church come down on that issue?

Sorry I missed this Gray. (I am trying to find something  else.) Every living human soul is immortal with the potential to partake of the divine nature. As such, there is neither neighbor, nor sinner, nor enemy who is unworthy of our love. 

I tend to think women have it better in the Catholic Church, but like they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Edited by 3DOP
Link to comment
On 2/6/2018 at 11:30 PM, Avatar4321 said:

What do you mean with new Mormonism? Because I go to conference and study my scriptures and go to church each week and I see the same Mormonism I see in the sermons of Joseph and Brigham

Sorry Avatar. I missed this too.

Its probably an in internet phenomenon.

But the new Mormonism to which I refer says that the ban on blacks in the priesthood was because of racism. It accepts that the polygamy Joseph Smith practiced allowed him to sleep with other men's wives while they were away on missions. It doubts the historicity of the geography and characters in the Book of Mormon. It is typified by a young man who made a video a week or two ago saying that he is Mormon even while holding to views like those I have just described. In short, the New Mormonism I have in mind accepts anti-Mormon apologetics and remains LDS.

I doubt if "new Mormonism" (my term) uses conference, Scripture study, or their church experience to arrive at their position.

Edited by 3DOP
Link to comment
On 2/13/2018 at 3:09 PM, 3DOP said:

Sorry Avatar. I missed this too.

Its probably an in internet phenomenon.

But the new Mormonism to which I refer says that the ban on blacks in the priesthood was because of racism. It accepts that the polygamy Joseph Smith practiced allowed him to sleep with other men's wives while they were away on missions. It doubts the historicity of the geography and characters in the Book of Mormon. It is typified by a young man who made a video a week or two ago saying that he is Mormon even while holding to views like those I have just described. In short, the New Mormonism I have in mind accepts anti-Mormon apologetics and remains LDS.

I doubt if "new Mormonism" (my term) uses conference, Scripture study, or their church experience to arrive at their position.

You are misinformed. 

Imagine me describing the New Catholicism and maybe you will understand that taking on the responsibility to explain one's own faith to them while you do not understand it yourself can be risky

I won't bother to go into it farther- just take my word for it that you did not get it right.

Quote

I doubt if "new Mormonism" (my term) uses conference, Scripture study, or their church experience to arrive at their position.

And here you admit you do not know it.

Edited by mfbukowski
Link to comment
On 2/6/2018 at 11:30 PM, Avatar4321 said:

What do you mean with new Mormonism? Because I go to conference and study my scriptures and go to church each week and I see the same Mormonism I see in the sermons of Joseph and Brigham

Look at the number of likes this post got.

He doesn't know what he is talking about, you do.

He does not understand what he sees as the "old Mormonism" and does not know that they are the same.

Link to comment

Here's my two cents, for what it's worth:

I think active, faithful members of conservative denominations live their faiths and receive the attendant blessings.  Hence, they may see no need to convert because they feel blessed and on the right track.

Members of liberal denominations (speaking from my pre-LDS experience,) have a void that is not being met in their faith, and are open to experimenting on the Word, as in Moroni 10, Alma 32, Matthew 7:7-8, etc. and receiving an answer.

Link to comment
On 2/16/2018 at 8:12 PM, Meerkat said:

Here's my two cents, for what it's worth:

I think active, faithful members of conservative denominations live their faiths and receive the attendant blessings.  Hence, they may see no need to convert because they feel blessed and on the right track.

Members of liberal denominations (speaking from my pre-LDS experience,) have a void that is not being met in their faith, and are open to experimenting on the Word, as in Moroni 10, Alma 32, Matthew 7:7-8, etc. and receiving an answer.

That was my theory, liberals more likely than conservatives (albeit not quite for the reason you gave), based on my experience when I was LDS.  But the poll places liberal Protestants 3rd, behind Catholics and conservative Protestants.  Not the first time a poll here has surprised me. 

But what nearly everyone seems to agree on is that a Christian background of some flavor improves the odds of converting to Mormonism.  The last two categories were decidedly unpopular (even though they constitute the majority of Earth's human population).  And with mainline denominations in long, slow decline and the U.S. population on a long-term trend of increasing diversity (the present administration's efforts notwithstanding) drawing from countries with strong non-Christian religious affiliations--perhaps it shouldn't be surprising the ratio of conversions to LDS missionaries is likewise trending down.  (I'm not saying the internet hasn't played a role in this--I'm saying demographics matter also.) 

As I noted before, Joseph Smith's Book of Mormon is really a 200-level canon that presupposes and even stipulates the reader already have "faith in Christ" for its promise to work.  It seems to me the LDS Church lacks a 100-level canon.  And it can't be the Bible, systematically stripped as they claim, of "plain and precious truths."  Teaching aids aren't canonical and can only get you so far.  So what will it be, some new revelation to fill the gap?  A gap that is all but certain to become more significant with time. 

--Erik

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...