Church Leaders Congratulate President Obama

altersteve

I love this Church.

The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued the following statement Tuesday:

We congratulate President Obama on winning a second term as President of the United States.

After a long campaign, this is now a time for Americans to come together. It is a long tradition among Latter-day Saints to pray for our national leaders in our personal prayers and in our congregations. We invite Americans everywhere, whatever their political persuasion, to pray for the President, for his administration and the new Congress as they lead us through difficult and turbulent times. May our national leaders reflect the best in wisdom and judgment as they fulfill the great trust afforded to them by the American people.

We also commend Governor Romney for engaging at the highest level of our democratic process which, by its nature, demands so much of those who offer themselves for public service. We wish him and his family every success in their future endeavors.

http://www.mormonnew...election-result

I was on Facebook the night of President Obama's re-election as well as this morning and all I've seen is bickering and complaining and everyone declaring that they're moving to Canada. I'm sick of it already. Enough. Whether we like it or not, he is our leader. So let us instead follow the counsel of our Church leaders and ask our Heavenly Father to guide him in his presidency over the next four years. Lord knows this country needs it.

Congratulations, Mr. President. Our prayers are with you.

I love this Church.

I was on Facebook the night of President Obama's re-election as well as this morning and all I've seen is bickering and complaining and everyone declaring that they're moving to Canada. I'm sick of it already. Enough. Whether we like it or not, he is our leader. So let us instead follow the counsel of our Church leaders and ask our Heavenly Father to guide him in his presidency over the next four years. Lord knows this country needs it.

I had to post this to my FB after my daughter and some of her friends & cousins got into it about Obama. So many of them were upset. One of them said they weren't proud to be American. And it went on and on. My daughter spoke up for Obama and she got trampled. I was sooo grateful to see this from the LDS newsroom, yay!! I think politics are just like religion and we need to show respect. Also, maybe we need to help make the change and not rely so much on government.

Just because they congratulated him, and ask that we pray for him doesn't mean they support him. I pray for Obama, I pray that he doesn't distroy the country. In all honesty I don't think we will see much change as long as we have republican congress, just more gridlock.

I love this Church.

A classy response by the First Presidency, and a classy post, Steve.

After such a bitter and negative campaign (and a lot of negative comments I've been hearing from LDS family and friends here in Utah), it's nice to see some civility and calls for respect/support/prayers (or however anyone interprets the words) by LDS leaders. Well said.

Daniel2

I love this Church.

Just following God's command to pray for all our leaders, I am never surprised when our leaders do the right thing.

Unfortunately I don't think our prayers will have much impact on Obama. But I do pray for our country and those righteous leaders who will try to alleviate the effect of some of his actions.

Does this mean that the constitution isn't hanging by a thread?

I hope for all our sakes that this was a joke, and not the meanspirited jab it appears to be.

Does this mean that the constitution isn't hanging by a thread?

When isn't the Constitution hanging by a thread?

Starting with Maybury v. Madison, it has been known that the principles of the Constitution hang in the balance by a proverbial "gentleman's handshake".

I love this Church.

Canada accepts immigrants! We got extra blankets, crackers, soup and toothbrushes-we got it all!

I love this Church.

I thought the congratulatory acknowledgement by the LDS church was a classy move.

And the complaints from conservatives on Facebook who are now ready to move to Canada crack me up. You do realize that Canada has higher taxes, a nationalized healthcare system, and absolutely no military influence, don't you conservatives? I thought that these were the things that conservatives were railing against this entire campaign, and now they are ready to run to a country that embraces all of these "evils"?

Unfortunately I don't think our prayers will have much impact on Obama. But I do pray for our country and those righteous leaders who will try to alleviate the effect of some of his actions.

^^^Does this insinuate that Obama is immune to prayer because he is unrighteous? What exactly has he done to make him unrighteous, as compared to all those other righteous leaders in Washington DC?

And the complaints from conservatives on Facebook who are now ready to move to Canada crack me up. You do realize that Canada has higher taxes, a nationalized healthcare system, and absolutely no military influence, don't you conservatives? I thought that these were the things that conservatives were railing against this entire campaign, and now they are ready to run to a country that embraces all of these "evils"?

Haha, that is funny, i never thought of the irony of that before! What dorks! :D

I think it's also interesting, the number of liberals i've seen on facebook today telling everyone who's whiny and complaining about the election to find some other country to live in. I remember when that was a popular conservative thing to say during Bush's days and how a lot of liberals declared it offensive and unAmerican. Guess sour grapes look differently depending on which side of the vineyard you're on. :pardon:

I thought the congratulatory acknowledgement by the LDS church was a classy move.

^^^Does this insinuate that Obama is immune to prayer because he is unrighteous? What exactly has he done to make him unrighteous, as compared to all those other righteous leaders in Washington DC?

there is one part of Canada that hardcore conservatives would feel welcome, well not that they wouldn't be accepted elsewhere but they would meet apathy-This comes from a Canadian who doesn't know the difference between a democrat and a Republican! But whatever someone stripe we'll take whoever

I don't think we will see much change as long as we have republican congress, just more gridlock.

The US debt situation was caused by government spending (by both Republics and Democrats). They will

both share the pain when the US Dollar ceases to be the primary reserve currency. At that point, the

American dream ceases; along with the printing press. Enjoy Bernanke while you can.

If Mitt Romney can stick around for another 4 years, his next run will be more successful.

Regards,

Jim

I love this Church.

The same exact thing I thought when I seen the statement. Great statement!

If Mitt Romney can stick around for another 4 years, his next run will be more successful.

Regards,

Jim

As America becomes more socially liberal, more ethnic and more secular (as evidenced by both recent polling and census data), how do you think Romney will have a more successful run in 4 years, when America will be even more ethnic, socially liberal and secular, than he did this time around?

Romney didn't lose this election; the GOP lost this election due to their adherence to socially conservative values (in a country that is increasingly socially liberal, as evidenced by yesterday's votes to allow gay marriage and recreational marijuana use), the GOP's anti-immigrant stances (in an electorate that is increasing in ethnicity), and the GOPs continued embrace and reliance on religious votes in a country that is veering more secular each and every year.

The US debt situation was caused by government spending (by both Republics and Democrats). They will

both share the pain when the US Dollar ceases to be the primary reserve currency. At that point, the

American dream ceases; along with the printing press. Enjoy Bernanke while you can.

Regards,

Jim

According to Ann, Mitt won't be running again.

Archived