Feminist To Working Women Who Complain About Not Being Able To Have It All: "Quit Whining"

BCSpace

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says in a new interview that she can’t stand “whining” by women who are unhappy with the work and family choices they’ve made in life and complain that they have no options.

Clinton, in the interview with Marie Claire, was discussing Anne-Marie Slaughter, a former director of policy planning at the State Department who left in 2011. This summer, Slaughter wrote a much-discussed cover story in the Atlantic — “Why Women Still Can’t Have It all” — about leaving her job because of the difficulty of balancing her work at State with the needs of her two teenage boys.

“I can’t stand whining,” Clinton told Marie Claire. “I can’t stand the kind of paralysis that some people fall into because they’re not happy with the choices they’ve made. You live in a time when there are endless choices. … Money certainly helps, and having that kind of financial privilege goes a long way, but you don’t even have to have money for it. But you have to work on yourself. … Do something!”

Clinton added, “Some women are not comfortable working at the pace and intensity you have to work at in these jobs. … Other women don’t break a sweat. …They have four or five, six kids. They’re highly organized, they have very supportive networks.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82586.html

Bcspace, I am willing to bet that you agree with her.

To wit:

one must accept the consequences of their actions/choices,

Each individual is responsible for their own life and is not entitled,

Do something, to improve you dissatisfaction with your circumstances.

Who'da thunk Clinton was such a Conservative.

She is now claiming she was talking about a character in Catcher in the Rye, not women. Ehhhh....

She has a problem identifying with women who don't have her advantages and it started in the Clinton presidential campaign when she threw out the staying home and baking cookies insult. I've come to have a lot of respect for her regardless, although as the Libya murders unravel I think the refusal to give adequate protection may bring her down.

Those with her money, prestige, and choices certainly shouldn't "whine". But 99% of women don't have those advantages let alone the choices. Her having only one child should have been enough to give her pause before judging others. This is so elitist and out of touch that I almost have to wonder if she hasn't gotten over the viciousness the Obama campaign engaged in to get the nomination and is unconsciously trying to undermine him.

She is now claiming she was talking about a character in Catcher in the Rye, not women. Ehhhh....

She has a problem identifying with women who don't have her advantages and it started in the Clinton presidential campaign when she threw out the staying home and baking cookies insult. I've come to have a lot of respect for her regardless, although as the Libya murders unravel I think the refusal to give adequate protection may bring her down.

Those with her money, prestige, and choices certainly shouldn't "whine". But 99% of women don't have those advantages let alone the choices. Her having only one child should have been enough to give her pause before judging others. This is so elitist and out of touch that I almost have to wonder if she hasn't gotten over the viciousness the Obama campaign engaged in to get the nomination and is unconsciously trying to undermine him.

Well, she surely cannot help her upbringing or her advantages. She perhaps doesn't realize how that colors her world-view -- and does it perhaps make her uncomfortable when Democrat detractors make an issue out of Ann Romney's financial advantages? Whatever.

That's something, you know. Time was I had nothing but negative feelings about Hillary Clinton. You know, "Big Sister is Watching You" and all that. And who can forget the "Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy"? But as she has branched out as a US Senator, Presidential Candidate, and now, Secretary of State, I have grown in my respect of her, far more than I would ever have expected. I still disagree with her on fundamental levels in political outlook, and would never vote for her for President, but she has surprised me on more than one occasion. Strangely enough, I've also acquired a great deal more respect for Bill Clinton as well. It's odd how gray hairs affect one's mind.

To wit:

one must accept the consequences of their actions/choices,

Each individual is responsible for their own life and is not entitled,

Do something, to improve you dissatisfaction with your circumstances.

Who'da thunk Clinton was such a Conservative.

Conservatives don't have a monopoly on those values/concepts. In any case, nobody can "have it all." Whatever choices we make, there's a price to pay, tradeoffs to make. But some people are capable of doing more things in their life and maintain a happy balance than other people are. I am constantly amazed at how many things some of my friends (I'm thinking of one family i particular) are involved in and successful at, and they're a happy family. Myself, I keep busy enough, but have a somewhat more quiet lifestyle, because that's what suits me. I wouldn't be able to keep as many balls in the air! ;)

I've come to have a lot of respect for her regardless, although as the Libya murders unravel I think the refusal to give adequate protection may bring her down.

May? Lol. What a debacle.

Not entirely. It is true there are a variety of choices. But the choice that sacrifices children to a lifestyle that is not an LDS-defined traditional family is often a wrong one. I highly doubt she, or any other third wave and higher feminist, would agree whether she is in cookie-baking back-tracking mode or not.

Archived