Duncan Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 A quotation or whatever I hear sometimes is that Pres. Kimball has never been to a boring sacrament meeting. While I can't speak for him I am not entirely certain it's always the listener's fault. Elder McConkie said,"On other occasions we have meetings where the speaker comes and all he brings is a little cup of eternal truth, and the members of the congregation come with a large jug, and all they get in their jugs is the little dribble that came from a man who should have known better and who should have prepared himself and talked from the revelations and spoken by the power of the Holy Spirit. We are obligated in the Church to speak by the power of the Spirit."7 Deadly heresies talk
Calm Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 If church attendance was made optional...Church attendance is optional as soon as you leave home and go out on your own, sometimes even earlier depending on your parents. Just be patient, I know it seems like forever at your age, but just wait, soon you'll be an adult and making your own decisions and wishing you were back at home being taken care of and told what to do because being an adult responsible for your own choices can be really scary at times.
The Nehor Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 A quotation or whatever I hear sometimes is that Pres. Kimball has never been to a boring sacrament meeting. While I can't speak for him I am not entirely certain it's always the listener's fault. Elder McConkie said,"On other occasions we have meetings where the speaker comes and all he brings is a little cup of eternal truth, and the members of the congregation come with a large jug, and all they get in their jugs is the little dribble that came from a man who should have known better and who should have prepared himself and talked from the revelations and spoken by the power of the Holy Spirit. We are obligated in the Church to speak by the power of the Spirit."7 Deadly heresies talkYeah, hence ignore the idiot and get the Holy Ghost to take over. 1
Somebodyz Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 Certainly not.Nothing is ever the Church's fault.If the Church is deficient in any regard, it is the fault of the member.This is because Church programs are perfect, having been instituted by perfect people, of which the Church apparently contains a superabundance.Please don't make that mistake again.This isn't for some a Church concept. I taught my children if they are bored or not having fun, it's down to them. Be that school, college, church, where ever. We are can't place the blame on to other, they aren't there to entertain us. We should take responsibility for ourselves.I take it from your sarcasm you don't agree.Please can you state were we are taught the people are perfect and programs are perfect ? 1
Brian 2.0 Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 I wish we mixed it up with the sacrament more, like when I was on scout trip and they didn't have bread so we blessed Doritos instead.Imagine the bread tray coming down the pew and seeing a stack of fun size snickers. Hell yeah.
Somebodyz Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 I wish we mixed it up with the sacrament more, like when I was on scout trip and they didn't have bread so we blessed Doritos instead.Imagine the bread tray coming down the pew and seeing a stack of fun size snickers.Hell yeah. Imagine how the kids would react. ...they'd be at least one who'd hop seats to get another go.
Garden Girl Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 So Serious Question:If church attendance was made optional...would you still attend? As I earlier stated I contend that 90% would never step foot in the church again...except for a ward dinner...and that is becasue it is BORING and RedundantHello Craig...90%?? I absolutely disagree... and attendance is optional as we all have our agency. You may find it boring and redundant but you speak for yourself. No one drags us kicking and screaming... of course I do agree there are some (but not 90%) who attend for various reasons other than a desire to be there... I've never found attending boring... it depends upon my attitude... sure I get tired of some of the same topics, but if I listen with the proper attitude and spirit, I can find something of benefit. Sometimes I'll turn to the subject of a talk in the Topical Guide of my scriptures and read some related scriptures... no, I don't think 90% of the people would not attend if given a choice...GG 2
Brian 2.0 Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 90%?? I absolutely disagree... and attendance is optional as we all have our agency. I also think 90% is high, but I think your definition of optional is different that the one Craig is using.I'm pretty sure he meant optional, by that there are no eternal consequences/restrictions/or lack of blessings granted to you if you chose not to attend.By your definitions EVERYTHING is optional because we have our agency.Keeping the Word of Wisdom is optional, but if the Prophet said he was taking Iced Tea out of the list of no-nos, there'd be a lot more people at the McDonald's drive thru for $1 Sweet Tea.But I do think 90% is high because there are a lot of reasons people attend beyond the call of duty to attend.
blackstrap Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 (edited) ". I think many members are turning to I-Pads at Church in order to find diversion to something more stimulating."Since the intro of ipad etc. I have noted a marked increase in sighting of the reverent position of heads bowed in spiritual contemplation. Edited June 27, 2012 by blackstrap
The Nehor Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 ". I think many members are turning to I-Pads at Church in order to find diversion to something more stimulating."Since the intro of ipad etc. I have noted a marked increase in sighting of the reverent position of heads bowed in spiritual contemplation.That's only because everyone else forgets their manual and I have to loan them mine. Anything else you heard is just base slander.
cwald Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 Please can you state were we are taught the people are perfect and programs are perfect ?Actually, I would ask you to show one incident where the church instition admitted they made a mistake and the program/policy was a mistake.
The Nehor Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 Actually, I would ask you to show one incident where the church instition admitted they made a mistake and the program/policy was a mistake.Sure, I had a Stake President institute a program. Six months later he admitted it was a mistake and wasn't working, apologized to those involved, and we moved on. 1
mnn727 Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 Get different manuals that show some interesting teachings and progress us in our eternal knowledge. The ones we have are truly horrible, or to quote our own Daniel C. Peterson "I think they are not very good." The problem is not with the manuals, its with the teachers - the manuals are just outlines with some filler idea's a good teacher can really make a class interesting (and a bad one can make your brain turn to mush - I walked out on HP group last Sunday because of a sub teacher that obviously put the lesson together in 2 minutes - he had a week to prepare)
Verum Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 (edited) 1. Officially announce as new doctrine to be amended to the D&C that a hymn played in sacrament meeting below tempo, as displayed in the official hymn book , is no longer a prayer unto God and thus shall not be answered with any blessing upon your heads (D&C25:12)2. Sacramental wine on fast Sunday3. 5th Sunday is casual Sunday4. Nursery for ALL THREE HOURS5. Journal of Discourses used for curriculum in place of Teaching of Presidents manuals for 1 year Edited June 27, 2012 by Verum
cinepro Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 Shortest Thread Ever:How can Church be less fun??????
wenglund Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 Shortest Thread Ever:How can Church be less fun??????Please don't under-estimate the gripers and complainers and ark steadiers regardless what the question is in terms of changing the Church. The well from which they draw seems limitless.Besides, in my mind, they are, themselves, the answer to your question. LOLThanks, -Wade Englund-
seriously honestly Posted June 27, 2012 Posted June 27, 2012 (edited) I enjoy attending LDS services more now as a non-member than I did as a member, but for the purpose of this thread I'm going to say limit the number of members allowed to speak on fast and testimony day and/or give a strict cut off time of 15 before sacrament ends (wrap it up if you're talking, and no new speakers). Edited June 27, 2012 by seriously honestly
Kerry A. Shirts Posted June 28, 2012 Posted June 28, 2012 We could all actually put the Gospel into better action on Saturday night, go down to the local bars, play some pool and have some beers with the rest of the lost house of Israel (inactive members) who we have already chased out through our own arrogance and self righteousness........ that way, we could actually sleep in on Sunday and take the day off.....
Calm Posted June 28, 2012 Posted June 28, 2012 (edited) Are we at least allowed to have root beers instead as the smell of beer makes me sick and I suspect the taste of it would do much the same...Pool....haven't played that in decades, wonder if my old cue is stuck somewhere in storage with Mom and Dad's other stuff. Edited June 28, 2012 by calmoriah
Kerry A. Shirts Posted June 28, 2012 Posted June 28, 2012 (edited) Are we at least allowed to have root beers instead as the smell of beer makes me sick and I suspect the taste of it would do much the same...Pool....haven't played that in decades, wonder if my old cue is stuck somewhere in storage with Mom and Dad's other stuff.Oh there ain't nuthing better than an ice cold beer on a very hot day........oh those were the good ole days..........GRIN!And yes, root beer are in the bars also........ I used to tell the boys that I would only drink Diet Coke, but I could act as drunk as they got, and then they'd have a good designated driver to get em home safely! They LOVED me man....... it actually was a hoot an a holler ........ the wife was in a pool league and the only tables in town were in the bars, so we went bar hoppin every summer...... Edited June 28, 2012 by Kerry A. Shirts
Calm Posted June 28, 2012 Posted June 28, 2012 (edited) Oh there ain't nuthing better than an ice cold beer on a very hot daySo I've been told. Personally though I think I'll have to stick with my preferred ice cold water with lemon and lime added if only because due to my one and only experience with Nyquil, if I were to indulge on a Sat. night, there would be a good chance there would not only be no sleeping in on Sunday, but possibly Monday and Tuesday as well....but since all that means is I'd be passing on my drink to someone else, that would just make me more popular, right? Edited June 28, 2012 by calmoriah
Kerry A. Shirts Posted June 28, 2012 Posted June 28, 2012 (edited) So I've been told. Personally though I think I'll have to stick with my preferred ice cold water with lemon and lime added if only because due to my one and only experience with Nyquil, if I were to indulge on a Sat. night, there would be a good chance there would not only be no sleeping in on Sunday, but possibly Monday and Tuesday as well....but since all that means is I'd be passing on my drink to someone else, that would just make me more popular, right?ABSOLUTELY! That's what I did.....I'd buy the boys their beer, they'd buy me my diet coke and we'd sing and dance the night away........ it really was rather fun......and I made a lot of friends I never would have been able to otherwise, and not a one of them was not Mormon. No Catholics, Protestants, or Jews.....all our lost brothers and sisters from a self righteous judgmental church who refused to have them.....That is what absolutely blew my mind.....I heard all their stories (the tongue loosens up when drunk), and was horrified at how lousy we treat our own.....it was a stark sobering lesson to me........ Edited June 28, 2012 by Kerry A. Shirts 1
Calm Posted June 28, 2012 Posted June 28, 2012 I heard all their stories (the tongue loosens up when drunk), and was horrified at how lousy we treat our ownNothing can hurt so much as family.... 1
why me Posted June 28, 2012 Posted June 28, 2012 The problem is not with the manuals, its with the teachers - the manuals are just outlines with some filler idea's a good teacher can really make a class interesting (and a bad one can make your brain turn to mush - I walked out on HP group last Sunday because of a sub teacher that obviously put the lesson together in 2 minutes - he had a week to prepare)If I am not mistaken, there used to be teacher training classes in wards. At least I remember something along these lines. I think that it is difficult for people to be teachers without some training. Also, these days, people have very little time to do activities outside of work and family.
why me Posted June 28, 2012 Posted June 28, 2012 I enjoy attending LDS services more now as a non-member than I did as a member, but for the purpose of this thread I'm going to say limit the number of members allowed to speak on fast and testimony day and/or give a strict cut off time of 15 before sacrament ends (wrap it up if you're talking, and no new speakers).Since fast and testimony meeting is spirit moved, it would be difficult to interfere with the spirit. Cut off has to be by time and not speakers. However, it can be mentioned to limit the testimony to 5 minutes or less. And I do think that this was mentioned years ago: testimony meeting is not the time to give a talk.
Recommended Posts