Tacenda Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Increase the amount of actual praise and worship in sacrament meeting. In other words, make sacrament meeting a worship service. To me, a talk about tithing, priesthood authority, modesty, or whatever, is instruction, not worship. Save most of the doctrinal instruction for another meeting.More music in sacrament meeting, as a form of worship. Perhaps loosen up a bit on the rules regarding what kinds of music and instruments are permitted, within reason. My mother was once told that the Bach organ piece she played as prelude music was inappropriate. Never mind that Bach wrote the piece for a Christian worship service!Scripture readings, and readings of relevant poetry could also be included in sacrament meeting. (Poetry often touches my soul.)Perhaps eliminate one of the other meetings, and give people some time to socialize. There's been a lot of emphasis on reverence recently, and I suspect part of the problem is that people are happy to see each other and want to socialize, but have to rush off to other meetings, and so they take what chance they can and chat before sacrament meeting, and immediately afterwards, rather than quietly enter the chapel and calm down before the service, and then reverently exiting afterwards. If they knew they'd have a half hour or so to socialize later, it might be easier to convince them to be reverent in the chapel immediate before and after sacrament meeting. (Maybe!)Keep teaching doctrine, but put more emphasis on praxis, how to make practical everyday use of the principles being taught.And I do like the idea of lowering the temperature a bit. All that body heat makes a difference!Big thumbs up, this would be a joy to attend church this way! The part about socialising would be awesome, they do that for the Single Adult ward's don't they? Socials right after the block? Especially since the church eliminated "activities committees". I long for the fun of yesteryear in the church, I'm thinking 60's & 70's here!
Craig Paxton Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 (edited) It is wonderful that you are here to entertain us. You always make us laugh. Laugh or laugh at.....any way...are you disputing my observation? If I didn't know better I'd think that it was required in LDS worship services that every one must bow and bob their heads throughout the sacrament service...or rest their heads on the pew in front of them.I observed this LDS tradition both as a participant sitting in the pews, as a bishopric member fighting to stay awake myself...and of course...being the High Councilman inflicting boredom on the congregation in my best GA monotone speaking voice...but I must admit that some of my best sleep was at church...so maybe to answer the OP...they could install a bunch of lazy boy rocking chairs...and we could all just be abit more comfortable as we sleep....well those that still attend churchIF the church ever said that "you can go to the celestial kingdom and not attend church...I'd guess that about 90% would never attend another meeting...but you will always have the hard core 10% who loves attending church in a masochistic way... Edited June 26, 2012 by Craig Paxton 1
John Ping Pong Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 I agree with this. If you're not having fun, it's not the Church's fault.Certainly not.Nothing is ever the Church's fault.If the Church is deficient in any regard, it is the fault of the member.This is because Church programs are perfect, having been instituted by perfect people, of which the Church apparently contains a superabundance.Please don't make that mistake again.
blackstrap Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 I was sad when the words of "How Firm a Foundation" were changed.I like the YooWhoo song.
The Nehor Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 The Church is not primarily about intellectual stimulation (though some will come) or being entertained (this happens too). It is about having a spiritual experience, getting spiritually fed, and spiritually taught so that you are fortified for another week.If you are bored point out to the Holy Ghost that you are where you were commanded to be and are ready to be taught the gospel and if the speaker is unable or unwilling to do so you expect Him to pick up the slack. I've never been disappointed with the results.being the High Councilman inflicting boredom on the congregation in my best GA monotone speaking voiceSo were you unable or unwilling to feel the sheep? Why are you complaining about an alleged problem that you seem to be quasi-boasting about contributing to? 1
Craig Paxton Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 (edited) The Church is not primarily about intellectual stimulation (though some will come) or being entertained (this happens too). It is about having a spiritual experience, getting spiritually fed, and spiritually taught so that you are fortified for another week.If you are bored point out to the Holy Ghost that you are where you were commanded to be and are ready to be taught the gospel and if the speaker is unable or unwilling to do so you expect Him to pick up the slack. I've never been disappointed with the results.So were you unable or unwilling to feel the sheep? Why are you complaining about an alleged problem that you seem to be quasi-boasting about contributing to? I would NEVER Feel the sheep...that goes against my moral standards to feel the sheep Edited June 26, 2012 by Craig Paxton 1
selek1 Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Nehor,I gave you a rep point earlier, but I wanted to reiterate just how I awesome I found post #24 to be.Bravo Zulu, sir! Well done!
The Nehor Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 I would NEVER Feel the sheep...that goes against my moral standards to feel the sheepWhy not? They're so soft and fuzzy. I remember going sheep-busting on my mission and grabbing the sheep and flipping on their back. Good times....then the Mission President gave a talk asking us if we could see Joseph Smith or Oliver Cowdery going sheep-busting. I thought to myself that Joseph might have joined in. In any case the guy with the keys banned it I gave you a rep point earlier, but I wanted to reiterate just how I awesome I found post #24 to be.Thanks. 1
Craig Paxton Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Why not? They're so soft and fuzzy. I remember going sheep-busting on my mission and grabbing the sheep and flipping on their back. Good times....then the Mission President gave a talk asking us if we could see Joseph Smith or Oliver Cowdery going sheep-busting. I thought to myself that Joseph might have joined in. In any case the guy with the keys banned it Thanks.Where in the world did you go Sheep Flipping ?
The Nehor Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Where in the world did you go Sheep Flipping ?Northwest England and parts of Wales.
Craig Paxton Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Northwest England and parts of Wales.Ahhh... Beautiful Sheep Feeling Country
John Ping Pong Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 I think Church could be more entertaining if it were less structured.It seems everything is controlled to the point there is little room left for the Spirit.Even in the one forum where some Spirit-directed spontaneity might be allowed (fast and testimony meeting), the saints are repeatedly reminded of the mantras they should recite in order for it to be "acceptable."
KevinG Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Church can be more fun by excommunicating the whiners and malcontents who complain about how our services are no fun. Preferably publicly flogging them in the second hour of meetings. (let the fur commence to a-flyin') 1
Craig Paxton Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 (edited) Church can be more fun by excommunicating the whiners and malcontents who complain about how our services are no fun. Preferably publicly flogging them in the second hour of meetings. (let the fur commence to a-flyin')Whoa...now even I might return for that....but then maybe I'd be the one being flogged...I've often wondered why public flogging went out of fashion Edited June 26, 2012 by Craig Paxton 1
selek1 Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Church can be more fun by excommunicating the whiners and malcontents who complain about how our services are no fun. Preferably publicly flogging them in the second hour of meetings. Yeah- but then we'd have no bishops to preside at the next meeting. 2
The Nehor Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Church can be more fun by excommunicating the whiners and malcontents who complain about how our services are no fun. Preferably publicly flogging them in the second hour of meetings. (let the fur commence to a-flyin')Downside is you end up plucking some tender wheat when you are chopping up the tares. 1
KevinG Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 I think Church could be more entertaining if it were less structured.It seems everything is controlled to the point there is little room left for the Spirit.Even in the one forum where some Spirit-directed spontaneity might be allowed (fast and testimony meeting), the saints are repeatedly reminded of the mantras they should recite in order for it to be "acceptable."Valid- I would prefer less well practiced and more heartfelt prayers and testimonies at times. It happens for us occasionally with all of the converted baptists and evangelicals among our ranks. My Jewish-Mormon friend likes to say Shalom Sabbot and waits until everyone responds before she continues with her testimony.I would love to play my trumpet in an artistic offering but know its not the most appropriate thing for the purposes of Sacrament meeting= the focus of which should always be communing with God through the Holy Ghost.A little levity and joy can be a good thing for our culture but it must be balanced with the need to make meetings edifying first and fun second. Many Saints would be more distracted than edified by too much commotion.In the end my having fun or being edified has more to do with my attitude than what others do to entertain me or tickle my ears. 2
KevinG Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Whoa...now even I might return for that....but then maybe I'd be the one being flogged...I've often wondered why public flogging went out of fashionCleaning blood out of carpets is a pain. 1
KevinG Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Yeah- but then we'd have no bishops to preside at the next meeting.You win the thread!
Craig Paxton Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Cleaning blood out of carpets is a pain.Yes but with all the church cleaning being done by volunteers...who's to complain...
Craig Paxton Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 So Serious Question:If church attendance was made optional...would you still attend? As I earlier stated I contend that 90% would never step foot in the church again...except for a ward dinner...and that is becasue it is BORING and Redundant
John Ping Pong Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 Valid- I would prefer less well practiced and more heartfelt prayers and testimonies at times. It happens for us occasionally with all of the converted baptists and evangelicals among our ranks. My Jewish-Mormon friend likes to say Shalom Sabbot and waits until everyone responds before she continues with her testimony.As long as she doesn't shout "Allah Achbar" like that nutter who calls into Van Hale's radio program all the time.I would love to play my trumpet in an artistic offering but know its not the most appropriate thing for the purposes of Sacrament meeting= the focus of which should always be communing with God through the Holy Ghost.Here I respectfully disagree. I would love to be at a sacrament meeting where you played your trumpet. I sometimes think our western European heritage constricts our willingness to be open to other forms of instruments and musical expression--and even dance!A little levity and joy can be a good thing for our culture but it must be balanced with the need to make meetings edifying first and fun second. I do not see the two as mutually exclusive, though I think it fun to explore restorationist ideas and thoughts in a gospel setting. I think many members are turning to I-Pads at Church in order to find diversion to something more stimulating.In the end my having fun or being edified has more to do with my attitude than what others do to entertain me or tickle my ears.For me, being edified is entertaining. I think the majority of saints would feel the same way if given the chance, though there are always some who will find anything gospel related to be mundane and uninteresting. (Hence the I-Pads.)I think it fair to say that we know pretty well what is going to happen in church for the entire three hours before we even go, because it is so structured. It is hard to find a lot of enthusiasm for such a proposition. After a number of years, it is like watching paint dry.
KevinG Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 So Serious Question:If church attendance was made optional...would you still attend? As I earlier stated I contend that 90% would never step foot in the church again...except for a ward dinner...and that is becasue it is BORING and RedundantIt is optional. I assume you mean "if you could attend the Temple without attending Sacrament meeting would you?"I would.
KevinG Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 As long as she doesn't shout "Allah Achbar" like that nutter who calls into Van Hale's radio program all the time.Here I respectfully disagree. I would love to be at a sacrament meeting where you played your trumpet. I sometimes think our western European heritage constricts our willingness to be open to other forms of instruments and musical expression--and even dance!I do not see the two as mutually exclusive, though I think it fun to explore restorationist ideas and thoughts in a gospel setting. I think many members are turning to I-Pads at Church in order to find diversion to something more stimulating.For me, being edified is entertaining. I think the majority of saints would feel the same way if given the chance, though there are always some who will find anything gospel related to be mundane and uninteresting. (Hence the I-Pads.)I think it fair to say that we know pretty well what is going to happen in church for the entire three hours before we even go, because it is so structured. It is hard to find a lot of enthusiasm for such a proposition. After a number of years, it is like watching paint dry.The I-pad thing is mostly those who perused their scriptures during talks in the past (my observation). I think those people are cheating themselves of the learning they would receive by paying better attention to speakers who were called to teach on any given Sunday.There is also a responsibility on the part of the speakers to prepare well. The best talk I've heard in a long time came from a 15 year old the other week. It was doctrinal and well researched.
The Nehor Posted June 26, 2012 Posted June 26, 2012 So Serious Question:If church attendance was made optional...would you still attend?Yes, I'd probably be on the fast road to hell if I skipped for long.As I earlier stated I contend that 90% would never step foot in the church again...except for a ward dinner...and that is becasue it is BORING and Redundant.Going off the parable of the 10 virgins I would guess it is closer to 50%.
Recommended Posts