Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

This is pretty cool. I looked once, and there was just the picture. Then I saw that there were replies and figured it had been edited.

I wonder how many replies we can generate to a non-existent thread?

This is becoming a conceptual art piece.

Posted

Perhaps the picture is being used to prove that there are no "others" in the picture :acute:

However, it cannot be used to prove that "others" don't exist in other pictures.

Posted

  • He is an author who wrote a book!
  • His book is loved by John Dehlin!
  • I have never read it!

Three interesting facts about Grant Palmer

Posted

gpalmer-150x150.jpg

Nellie's blogspot (Nelson Chung) has been carrying on a debate with another site which is prohibited here, and so was probably removed from the OP by a moderator. It may have had something to do with Grant Palmer's erroneous belief that science and religion conflict within Mormonism.

Posted (edited)

Grant Who?

Oh

Grant the Grocer. Oh yeah, I know that guy. Doesn't he work for Harmon's?

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram
Posted

Nellie's blogspot (Nelson Chung) has been carrying on a debate with another site which is prohibited here, and so was probably removed from the OP by a moderator. It may have had something to do with Grant Palmer's erroneous belief that science and religion conflict within Mormonism.

Or I just like posting creepy pictures of our critics.

Handsome devil for an old guy, no?

Indeed.

Posted

Oh! THAT Grant Palmer! I wish him well, but he's wrong.

Posted

Perhaps the picture is being used to prove that there are no "others" in the picture :acute:

However, it cannot be used to prove that "others" don't exist in other pictures.

On the other hand, we could switch his name around to "Palm Granter" which might imply that he could not only read your palm, but grant the wishes he sees there. :ph34r:

Posted

On the other hand, we could switch his name around to "Palm Granter" which might imply that he could not only read your palm, but grant the wishes he sees there. :ph34r:

"Palm Granter" makes me think of the concept of "crossing ones palm with silver."

Posted (edited)

Grant Who?

Oh

Grant the Grocer. Oh yeah, I know that guy. Doesn't he work for Harmon's?

I think you're getting your ad hominems mixed up. The grocery store smear concerned another scholar, whose magisterial works are owned, used, and appreciated by virtually every scholar who currently does any serious work on Joseph Smith. Your confusion is understandable, however, since most of the smears of Palmer were similarly inappropriate and irrelevant.

Edited by Chris Smith
Posted

Thats funny Chris, I was on Skype one day recently talking to that scholar and he got a call from the grocery store about his hours the next day. It's funny how someone who is working on projects that when published will not make him a lot of money, because he loves history. I heard Grant Palmer's book was a good seller. It was the same with Wesley P Walters. He did most of his research during his vacations and never received any great load of money. Both Dan Vogel and Michael Quinn paid him a visit in his office where he shared his research.

Posted

I think you're getting your ad hominems mixed up. The grocery store smear concerned another scholar, whose magisterial works are owned, used, and appreciated by virtually every scholar who currently does any serious work on Joseph Smith. Your confusion is understandable, however, since most of the smears of Palmer were similarly inappropriate and irrelevant.

Thank you, Chris. I must say, I disagree with Palmer on most of his conclusions. However, I'll judge his scholarship on its own merits and leave his personal life (and appearance) to himself.

If MDDB members ever wonder why so many people are fed up with the current state of Mormon apologetics, this thread is a classic example. It's something I'd expect to see while browsing the TrailerPark™ to be quite honest.

Mormon Studies as a whole has benefitted greatly from so-called "amateur" scholars, particularly those involved with Dialogue, The Journal of Mormon History, BYU Studies, and several self-published authors with careers largely unrelated to Mormonism and the study of religion in general.

Posted

Thats funny Chris, I was on Skype one day recently talking to that scholar and he got a call from the grocery store about his hours the next day. It's funny how someone who is working on projects that when published will not make him a lot of money, because he loves history. I heard Grant Palmer's book was a good seller. It was the same with Wesley P Walters. He did most of his research during his vacations and never received any great load of money. Both Dan Vogel and Michael Quinn paid him a visit in his office where he shared his research.

That's funny Noel,

I used to share my research with Wes Walters, back before there was such a thing as Skype. He was always a gentleman and a scholar (he decided to be a missionary to the Mormons when he was a student at Johns Hopkins, back in the day when Freedman and Cross were doing their dual dissertatons there under Albright), well almost always -- the Tanners called him to repentance on one noteworthy occasion, and Mike Quinn on another. Wes took his lumps like a man. I loved Wes' jokes, and his willingness to address any aspect of Mormon or biblical history. What a guy. The Mormons were all afraid of him, though, and would carefully avoid him.at Sunstone and MHA meetings. I think they were genuinely fearful that he might convert them, or at least give them nightmares. I am very sad that he is gone from the scene, to be replaced by plastic anti-Mormons who have no knowledge or scruples.

Posted

Thank you, Chris. I must say, I disagree with Palmer on most of his conclusions. However, I'll judge his scholarship on its own merits and leave his personal life (and appearance) to himself.

If MDDB members ever wonder why so many people are fed up with the current state of Mormon apologetics, this thread is a classic example. It's something I'd expect to see while browsing the TrailerPark™ to be quite honest.

Mormon Studies as a whole has benefitted greatly from so-called "amateur" scholars, particularly those involved with Dialogue, The Journal of Mormon History, BYU Studies, and several self-published authors with careers largely unrelated to Mormonism and the study of religion in general.

Absolutely agree.

Posted (edited)

Ecclesiastes 3

1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

That includes being silly as well.

I am sure no offense was intended. Of course offense is one of those things which may be taken, intended or not.

Edited by mfbukowski
Posted

Throwing rocks at that old apostate, to speed him on his way to outer darkness?

I wonder what would happen if I would make a post with different names and pictures of people more beloved by the mods on this board?

Certain beloved people cant even be mentioned in hints before threads are closed.

Its almost like trying to shout יהוה in the former days..

Although I dont agree with all of Palmers theories, I sure can respect the man, and just find this post silly.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...