Seriously No Politics ×

Picture In The Chapel

Is it against a specific guildline in the handbook to take a photo in the chapel near the pulpit, NOT DURING a meeting?

Facebook arguement going on, just curious if there is an actual priesthood guideline (if so citation needed), if photos cannot be taken up near or infront of the pulpit.

My current understanding was that it wasn't allowed during meetings, other than that wasn't a problem.

I have never heard of any objection to a picture being taken of an LDS chapel when a meeting is not in session. During a meeting picture taking and all recordings are not appropriate.

I know that when a couple of my children got married outside the temple, the ceremony was performed in the cultural hall because pictures were not allowed in the chapel. This may have been our branch president's interpretation of the CHI. I never read it myself.

Glenn

I have never heard that. People in my ward, sometimes, take pictures of their kids, when they are performing up front (usually very discreetly...not running down in front and snapping with a flash or anything, but usually from a cell phone). I also saw a video of David Archuleta singing, up front, in his own ward.

I have never heard that. People in my ward, sometimes, take pictures of their kids, when they are performing up front (usually very discreetly...not running down in front and snapping with a flash or anything, but usually from a cell phone). I also saw a video of David Archuleta singing, up front, in his own ward.

That is what the no pictures policy is about. Imagine what it could become. The reverence of the meeting is disrupted for the rest of the congregation.

Photographs, Video Recordings, and Broadcasts in Chapels

Taking photographs or making video recordings in chapels is not permitted. Meetings and other events that are held in the chapel may not be broadcast over the Internet or by any other means

from hand book 2

Wow. A lot of people seem to be breaking that rule (or don't know about it).

We have always been told not photos or photography in the chapel. The only time I have seen it allowed was when our building was under construction so they had to have people sitting in the RS room and Primary room during Sacrament meeting. They hooked up a video camera and fed it directly into those rooms so they could watch.

Photographs, Video Recordings, and Broadcasts in Chapels

Taking photographs or making video recordings in chapels is not permitted. Meetings and other events that are held in the chapel may not be broadcast over the Internet or by any other means

from hand book 2

Except if you're Terryl and Fiona Givens and you're being filmed for a PBS documentary about Mormonism, right?

I think there are tasteful ways to do it, and trashy ways to do it.

PBS = tasteful.

Disgruntled member secretly filming his "testimony" over the pulpit against the Church's involvement in Prop 8 = trashy. Just my opinion, though.

Don't know if it is still there but BYUTV used to have a sacrament meeting broadcast for people who were unable to attend. MW

It's still there.

It's on every sunday morning at 9:00 am MDT. It's really weird to watch because you can tell it was filmed in the 80's/early 90's. Fashion and hair have come a long ways since then.....

It's still there.

It's on every sunday morning at 9:00 am MDT. It's really weird to watch because you can tell it was filmed in the 80's/early 90's. Fashion and hair have come a long ways since then.....

With Bishop Ed Pinegar!

Edited by cinepro

Is it against a specific guildline in the handbook to take a photo in the chapel near the pulpit, NOT DURING a meeting?

Facebook arguement going on, just curious if there is an actual priesthood guideline (if so citation needed), if photos cannot be taken up near or infront of the pulpit.

My current understanding was that it wasn't allowed during meetings, other than that wasn't a problem.

There are excecptions. But typing on IPad on my back in bed due to injury. Maybe others could list them.

There is a recent Katie Couric interview that was filmed in part in the chapel, but it was not up front by the pulpit. I also assume they got special permission. It was a good chance to let nonLDS see what it looks like inside a Mormon church, no pictures of Satan on the wall, etc.

I remember several students and staff, like myself, were asked to be a part of a picture for a brochure for LDS Business College and we did in a nearby chapel. I think the problem comes when it would be distracting in a meeting or detract from the reverence of the chapel.