Seriously No Politics ×

Hi all, I know I'm not around here much anymore, but you guys are all pretty good about giving out prayers :) I think I'm losing my mind and could really use some prayers… my dad is in this hospital, he's 80 and he's been sick with various stuff for several years, and it seems that this is it. Congestive heart failure, aortic stenosis and failing kidneys - he has made his choices about not wanting interventions at this time so he is on comfort care. My sister is staying with me and we are living at the hospital for the most part. We are all struggling with this - he is "in and out", confused, has trouble getting breath, and it is just so painful to watch. Prayers for all of us would be great, Sarah, Grace and Chuck. Thanks so much… I know I'll feel the prayers from all you wonderful people. xo

Oh… and I need a scripture to hold on to…. help ???? I can't think to find something…

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

-Revelation 21:4

My favorite reminder that pain and sorrow can't last forever though it may seem like it.

Lead Kindly Light lyrics

Lead, kindly light, amid the encircling gloom,

Lead thou me on;

The night is dark, and I am far from home;

Lead thou me on;

Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see

The distant scene: one step enough for me.

So long thy power hath blest me, sure it still

Will lead me on,

O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till

The night is gone,

And with the morn those angel faces smile,

Which I have loved long since, and lost a while.

How Firm A foundation

1. “Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
    For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
    I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
    Upheld by My gracious, omnipotent hand.
  2. “When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
    The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
    For I will be with thee thy trouble to bless,
    And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.
  3. “When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
    My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply;
    The flame shall not harm thee; I only design
    Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.
  4. “The soul that on Jesus doth lean for repose,
    I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
    That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
    I’ll never, no never, no never forsake.”

Edited by rpn

Hello W2K...

I'm so sorry... names in the temple tomorrow...

John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Hymn No. 124

Be Still My Soul, the Lord is on thy side

With patience bear thy cross of grief and pain.

Leave to thy God to order and provide.

Hymn No. 125

How gentle God's commands... how kind his precepts are.

Come cast your burdens on the Lord, and trust his constant care.

Hymn No. 128

I will not doubt, I will not fear;

God's love and strength are always near.

His promised gift helps me to find an inner strength and peace of mind.

I give the Father willingly my trust, my prayers, humility. His Spirit

guides; his love assures, that fear departs and faith endures.

Psalm 46:10

Be still, and know that I am God...

Hymn No. 277

As I search the holy scriptures, May thy mercy be revealed.

Soothe my troubled heart and spirit; May my unseen wounds be healed.

You're in my thoughts and prayers W2K... always...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I'm so sorry you're going through this! Be Still My Soul came to mind to me too.

Hymns, Be Still, My Soul, no. 124

1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;

With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.

Leave to thy God to order and provide;

In ev’ry change he faithful will remain.

Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend

Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake

To guide the future as he has the past.

Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;

All now mysterious shall be bright at last.

Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know

His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast’ning on

When we shall be forever with the Lord,

When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,

Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.

Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,

All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Edited by MorningStar

prayers your way.

(Old Testament | Isaiah 35:1 - 10)

1 THE wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.

2 It shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing: the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the LORD, and the excellency of our God.

3 ¶ Strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble knees.

4 Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you.

5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.

6 Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.

7 And the parched ground shall become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water: in the habitation of dragons, where each lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes.

8 And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.

9 No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be found there; but the redeemed shall walk there:

10 And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Hi all, I know I'm not around here much anymore, but you guys are all pretty good about giving out prayers :) I think I'm losing my mind and could really use some prayers… my dad is in this hospital, he's 80 and he's been sick with various stuff for several years, and it seems that this is it. Congestive heart failure, aortic stenosis and failing kidneys - he has made his choices about not wanting interventions at this time so he is on comfort care. My sister is staying with me and we are living at the hospital for the most part. We are all struggling with this - he is "in and out", confused, has trouble getting breath, and it is just so painful to watch. Prayers for all of us would be great, Sarah, Grace and Chuck. Thanks so much… I know I'll feel the prayers from all you wonderful people. xo

Oh… and I need a scripture to hold on to…. help ???? I can't think to find something…

Click on my blog link and go to last poem at bottom called "Laying Down the Sword". God bless you in every way. Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

Doctrine & Covenants 122. Christ descended below all things so that He could lift us above all things.

Miracles are not always so immediate. At times we thoughtfully wonder why the miracle we have so earnestly prayed for does not happen here and now. But as we trust in the Savior, promised miracles will occur. Whether in this life or the next, all will be made right. The Savior declares: “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”

Elder Neil L. Andersen of the Twelve, "What Thinks Christ of Me?" Ensign, April 2012, accessed on-line at <a href="http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/what-thinks-christ-of-me?lang=eng&query="i+have+overcome+the+world">http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/what-thinks-christ-of-me?lang=eng&query="i+have+overcome+the+world" on June 2, 2012.

Edited by Kenngo1969

I am so sorry for your sorrow and struggles. You are in my prayers. My heart goes out to you and yours. I pray for your father. I pray for Sarah, Grace, and Chuck.

Here is a scripture: Psalms 34:4 ~ I sought the Lord, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

God bless you and yours.

Sincerely, Naomi

Thank you everyone. My sister and I are by my fathers side now in the hospital. All of ur responses are helpful and comforting. This is torture and I wouldnt wish the experience to fall upon anyone... Thanks for being there... Sarah

I'm so sorry W2K... I understand how difficult it is right now as I felt the same way when I lost my mom so suddenly. Bless you...

GG

Prayers for you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

• 2 weeks later...

The last few weeks have not been pleasant. To say the least. As with most family crisis', family drama lives on… and to add to my loss my closest sister decided to move away and her boyfriend informed the world on facebook. For numerous reasons I'm hurt and angry and my loss is added to, but in another way my faith is strengthened. And I really had to consider this as a friend said to me yesterday, Sarah, you either believe in the plan of salvation or you don't. True. The fog of grief has been to thick and complicated for me to see through though. In the midst of all this family loss and unimaginable pain and selfish grief, I did have a realization. If it hurts so badly that the rest of my family (5 siblings) think so little of family that 4 of them didn't even call him, knowing he was on his deathbed and had days to be cognizant, or call me after being told my father was dying)… he was their stepfather… paid for all their weddings, college… but they knew they had nothing to inherit because of their behavior after Mom's death). And was in their lives for 25 years. It's not like he was an awful man. He was brilliant. Kind. Awkward maybe but loving. I just don't get how people can be so crummy to their family. And it's that realization that I KNOW the purpose of family and how it really is everything, that secures my faith in the gospel and will keep me on my path of assuring my own families eternal path. It has to be right because otherwise this wouldn't hurt so badly. I may have to do some repenting for the thoughts I have about them however… and I can't imagine ever doing temple work for them.

I may have to do some repenting for the thoughts I have about them however… and I can't imagine ever doing temple work for them.
There are few things more miserable than feeling betrayed by family.

It sounds tacky and may not be the right time to say it, if so I am sorry....my experience has been it does get easier to deal with over time. Takes a lot of effort to do on one's own though, best to let God worry about it.

I am sorry about your father. I have perhaps a few more years with my parents. I have no clue how I will react. That type of loss is unimaginable I think for those who have not experienced it yet.

Okay Sarah... now comes the hard part... forgiving... forgiving your family for their actions and inconsiderate attitudes. This is when you must lay your hurt at the feet of the Savior and make an effort to forgive them. He, the Savior, requires that of you... He will forgive whom he will, but of us it is required that we forgive all... You will not feel freedom from the hurt in your heart until you can turn this over to the Lord and truly make that effort.

When I lost my mom, and then my step-dad (to whom I'm sealed as he's the only dad I've ever really had), you can't imagine how the Plan of Salvation comforted me, with the knowledge that my family was sealed and one day would be reunited.

And when my dear non-member husband passed away, how wonderful it was to have his temple work completed and to finally enter the temple and be sealed to him. I have no doubt whatsoever that he waits for me and we will continue our eternal journey together.

Just think what peace and joy your father is experiencing right now... the beauty that surrounds him... keep those thoughts and let your heart be at ease... and through a forgiving heart let go of the pain.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

GG

I just don't get how people can be so crummy to their family. And it's that realization that I KNOW the purpose of family and how it really is everything, that secures my faith in the gospel and will keep me on my path of assuring my own families eternal path. It has to be right because otherwise this wouldn't hurt so badly. I may have to do some repenting for the thoughts I have about them however… and I can't imagine ever doing temple work for them.

Give yourself time to heal and grieve, before worrying about forgiving or doing temple work. This is your time, to grieve and feel whatever you are feeling. Sorry for your loss. The fact you grieve shows you were blessed to have such a wonderful father and you still have his love with you.

In time, you can work on forgiving family and doing their temple work. Three members of my own family practiced attempted infranticide and fillicide. Forgiveness is still expected, it is healing for the one hurt, perhaps more than those receiving the forgiveness. It could help easy your pain in time..........when your ready.

You will be in my prayers and thoughts in the coming days.

Whenever forgiveness comes up in church my husband nudges me. I have a problem with that. I have always been one who can forgive but not forget. I'll work on it. No promises. I feel like I've forgiven them for so much in the past only to get burned again and again. I guess I can't do anything but do MY best and let them figure the rest out for themselves. What is most hard is answering questions for my children. Ugh.