Seriously No Politics ×

Minor update: On disposing of a substantial library in ways expected and unforeseen

16 minutes ago, cksalmon said:

I'm finally giving away my fairly substantial library of theological and biblical books and publications — to a local Southern Baptist pastor, of all people. He also happens to be the younger brother of a dear friend I met in seminary so many years ago. This particular method of disposal was expected; I've always known I'd give away my library, at some point, to someone who could still make some use of it.

But something interesting happened as I was going through those boxes and boxes of books. Of course, I found several books on the topic of Mormonism (mostly from the perspective of Evangelical Christianity), and I found myself putting them aside, in the small 'do-not-give-to-the-pastor' stack. I just don't want to potentially empower someone else to 'witness' to Mormons.

In an unforeseen twist, I've decided instead to use those books as kindling for my chiminea in a sort of very low-energy, low-stakes book burning. It's not a ritual, exactly, but I expect some measure of catharsis.

I thought some of the old-timers around here might get a kick out of that.

Brethren, adieu.

I have two or three boxes of books from my move from Arizona to Utah (last year) that are likely in the same category as the books you have set aside. 

It's much colder in Utah than in Arizona, and we have two fireplaces in our home here now, but not much of a supply of firewood.  I decided during last year's very cold and snowy winter (more than this Arizona boy can take) that if there was ever some kind of catastrophic event in the winter where there was no power and I needed to keep warm, those books would make a good fire starter at the very least.  

But that would be in a dire need situation.  I sometimes refer to those books even now when I'm trying to document a specific tactic used in those publications, or if some notes I took in reference to them years ago is lacking. 

29 minutes ago, InCognitus said:

I sometimes refer to those books even now when I'm trying to document a specific tactic used in those publications, or if some notes I took in reference to them years ago is lacking. 

In my case, perhaps the most compelling reason for the purge (in toto) is to remove any lingering inclination to make use of those resources to some good end. For me, those books have exerted a vague, but noticeably uncomfortable, mental pressure.

I lack your fortitude.

At any rate, the decision to tear down this monument to a life I no longer inhabit has brought me some welcome relief. 

9 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Good to hear from you again!

Thank you, bluebell!

---

Would you believe that I joined this forum ever so slightly before you did!? Like a couple of months. Wow. 

I'm amazed by the longevity of this place. 🕰️

Just now, cksalmon said:

Thank you, bluebell!

---

Would you believe that I joined this forum ever so slightly before you did!? Like a couple of months. Wow. 

I'm amazed by the longevity of this place. 🕰️

Geez, I had no idea.  When you're a newbie everyone else seems so seasoned!  It really is crazy that this board is still around and doing so well.

31 minutes ago, cksalmon said:

In my case, perhaps the most compelling reason for the purge (in toto) is to remove any lingering inclination to make use of those resources to some good end. For me, those books have exerted a vague, but noticeably uncomfortable, mental pressure.

I lack your fortitude.

At any rate, the decision to tear down this monument to a life I no longer inhabit has brought me some welcome relief. 

Since reading your opening post, I looked at a few of your prior posts, and I now have a different perspective of your reasoning. 

Even though I created an account on this board back in 2013 (and made only a handful of posts at that time), I wasn't really active on this board until 2019 when I was in between callings in the church for about two months (I was trying to fill a void in my life :)).  So, I didn't really know of your prior contributions to this forum.  I appreciate better what you are saying now.

19 hours ago, cksalmon said:

I'm finally giving away my fairly substantial library of theological and biblical books and publications — to a local Southern Baptist pastor, of all people. He also happens to be the younger brother of a dear friend I met in seminary so many years ago. This particular method of disposal was expected; I've always known I'd give away my library, at some point, to someone who could still make some use of it.

But something interesting happened as I was going through those boxes and boxes of books. Of course, I found several books on the topic of Mormonism (mostly from the perspective of Evangelical Christianity), and I found myself putting them aside, in the small 'do-not-give-to-the-pastor' stack. I just don't want to potentially empower someone else to 'witness' to Mormons.

In an unforeseen twist, I've decided instead to use those books as kindling for my chiminea in a sort of very low-energy, low-stakes book burning. It's not a ritual, exactly, but I expect some measure of catharsis.

I thought some of the old-timers around here might get a kick out of that.

Brethren, adieu.

Vicarious work for the Tanners!

Acts 19: 18 And many that believed came, and aconfessed, and shewed their deeds. 19 Many of them also which used curious aarts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. 20 So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.