Seriously No Politics ×

Dan McClellan on Mormon Stories

I know @maklelan was around it at lot in the early years. He was in the church translation department for many years and is now very popular on social media. He's super popular for making scholarly biblical topic understandable. 
Here is his Mormon Stories interview Part 1

Phaedrus

Edited by Nemesis
I left the link intact to allow the discussion, but I don’t link to anything that deals with dehlin as it would be supporting his business model.

Amazing how much the LDS church has changed since i was a kid. I remember the class manual  where Sperry attacked the multiple authorship of Isaiah. I had an Institute teacher who said it was thought Job was not historical. Nibley was the flavor of the month and a GD teacher had all Skousens books. Meanwhile the Tanners and Dialogue stirred thinks up. Odea in his book on the Mormons mentioned how dangerous it was to send the young scholars to the Ivy League universities. I read Stirling McMurrin's book on the Theological Foundations of Mormonism a man Joseph Fielding Smith wanted  disciplined but President McKay wanted him left alone. Now we have the Stoddards looking for heresies  in Behind Closed Doors. If the  church gets too liberal it will go the way C S Lewis says in Fern Seeds and Elephants the average church member will see no reason to stay. 

Mormonstories isn't my go to as much these days, but was delighted to listen to Dan, I only started at 5:00 am this morning so didn't get very far. Very interesting to hear his story and have had communication on this board. Maybe he'll post hopefully!

1 hour ago, Benjamin McGuire said:

It's changed in other ways since I was a kid. The priesthood ban is gone. It's changed even more since my father was a kid. When my grandfather was a kid, we didn't even have a three tiered model of the Celestial kingdom ... should it surprise us that a church that claims to be a 'living' church should change? And should it surprise us that the Church would change in ways that reflect better understandings of difficult things? You cannot be a convert Church and not get change. The biggest difference between the LDS Church of today and the LDS Church of 150 years ago isn't that it changes, it is that often those changes are more reactive than proactive.

C.S. Lewis wasn't really worrying about the liberalism of the Church in that essay (again, I wonder how much of the things you reference you have actually read). There is a fascinating problem here in that Mormonism's theology, at its core, is a truly liberal theology. It had already abandoned much of what Lewis calls the "old orthodoxy" in its origins with Joseph Smith. The very idea of producing new scripture, of correcting old scripture - these are foreign elements to Lewis's perspective in "Fern Seeds and Elephants." The original title of that essay was "Modern Theology and Biblical Criticism." And Lewis's primary complaint against modern biblical criticism wasn't whether or not it was useful or whether it worked, but rather his own complaints about how it had been applied to his own body of material:

Now, this sort of discussion really isn't all that interesting to most Mormons (I am something of an exception I suppose). But this is, to some extent, a real caricature of textual criticism. And Mormonism in general has a unique space from which to appreciate textual criticism. Look, for example, at Skousen's mammoth work on the original text of the Book of Mormon - his list of changes, his suggestions for emendations to the text. Look at what the LDS Church has done with the Joseph Smith Papers, and how they reveal the developmental construction of some of our scripture. What these kinds of efforts reveal is that even in a time when there is an overwhelming wealth of material, the kinds of changes and adjustments to Mormon scriptural texts show just how easy it is for the kinds of changes suggested by biblical scholars for the biblical text. Lewis's real concerns aren't really about the text and its history here. He is concerned about whether or not he is the person (as an author) whose interpretation of the text he wrote should be considered supreme. I stand on the other side of the fence from Lewis on this question. Mormonism, like some other branches of Christianity (notably Catholicism) doesn't have a real issue with textual criticism. As I noted, we engage with it. This isn't true for all of Christianity though. It reminds me a little bit of what Bart Ehrman wrote in his book Jesus Interrupted:

Don't get me wrong, I think that Mormonism has developed a similar notion for the Book of Mormon (at least in its popular views), but the fact that we can embrace textual criticism as a valid way to look at scriptural texts in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon makes us much different than the Church of England to which C.S. Lewis refers in his essay. By the way, here is the actual quote that you refer to:

I figured it would be helpful to quote what he said (and wrote) because of its relevance to several other arguments I have been engaged in here in this forum recently. Lewis points out here that in its strictest sense, a literal reading is not a spiritual or theological reading. If we were to read Genesis completely literally, then it would cease to be a religious story. In any case, Lewis's assertion isn't prophetic (and it isn't at all prophetic in the context of Mormonism). Embracing a more liberal view of scriptures isn't a significant factor in church decline. The PRRI research suggests that the sharpest declines in denominational membership come from the highly conservative denominations and not from the more moderate and liberal denominations. Mormonism is a socially conservative group (for the most part) but is theologically liberal (especially in its roots). The expression of that liberal theology is so ingrained that most members are not aware of it. Consider this line from the popular hymn "O My Father": "No, the thought makes reason stare! Truth is reason; truth eternal Tells me I’ve a mother there." It is partly because of this liberal theological streak that Mormonism is able to adapt and change in ways that help it remain relevant (at least to its members).

All of this is merely to point out that we run into a challenge here with the way that Mormonism is portrayed versus the way that Mormonism really is. There is no question that Mormonism is different from where it was when you were a kid. It is not its liberalness that brings decline, it is the unwillingness to change despite the changes (in knowledge and understanding that occur external to the church) that lead to greater religious decline. We need to be careful to distinguish between theological liberalism and politicial or social liberalism. They are very different things. C.S. Lewis is not referring to a social or political liberalness when he made these comments but to a theological liberalness. And Mormonism is still a theologically liberal denomination. And even if it is not as liberal as it once was, its past becomes a way of providing for future shifts (just as it has in the past).

And the church changes according to the men running it and their personal revelations IMO, or opinions. 

1 hour ago, Rain said:

I have no interest in taking 5 hours to watch that.  Care to give a summary or a discussion point?

Apologetics is bad.

Questions about whether Mormonism is true are bad.

Boundry maintenace is bad.

Data should be followed over dogma.

+ a lot or personal backstory.

We should be more open to alternate point of views.

The church is built on the corpses of sacred cows.

Edited by CA Steve

Dan is not a fan of the KJV.

"The KJV of the bible is not that great of translation."

"The KJV language is wildly out of date and leads to all kinds of misunderstandings and confusions."

"Modern translations of the bible use different source texts [than the KJV]."

"Non-English speaking LDS members have a different encounter with the bible than English speaking."

3 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

"The KJV language is wildly out of date and leads to all kinds of misunderstandings and confusions."

"Non-English speaking LDS members have a different encounter with the bible than English speaking."

Did he say which translation he prefers? 

1 hour ago, InCognitus said:

That's the beauty of having it on Youtube.  Change the playback speed to 1.5 times normal or greater, and you can still understand it and get through it in 3.3 hours or less!  :) 

😀 Oh, I almost always do it at 2 times normal (never music and some speak way to fast for that), but still that's a lot of info to listen to and discuss.

17 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

One of my Sunday School teachers 10+ years ago worked for the church scripture dept and told our class the church had discussed using a different versions, but that copyright was a problem.

31 minutes ago, Rain said:

One of my Sunday School teachers 10+ years ago worked for the church scripture dept and told our class the church had discussed using a different versions, but that copyright was a problem.

At about the 3:10 mark Dan spends a few minutes on the KJV and why we use it. He does not mention any copyright problems but notes that restoration scripture is couched in para-KJV English and going to a different version of the Bible in English would separate the D&C, BoM and PoGP from it.

45 minutes ago, Benjamin McGuire said:

But then, who really is?

Half my ward!

45 minutes ago, Benjamin McGuire said:

Once you know enough about the source languages to work through it on your own, you start to realize how inadequate that translation has become.

15 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

At about the 3:10 mark Dan spends a few minutes on the KJV and why we use it. He does not mention any copyright problems but notes that restoration scripture is couched in para-KJV English and going to a different version of the Bible in English would separate the D&C, BoM and PoGP from it.

There could be multiple reasons.  What I heard from my SS teacher was long enough ago that even if he was correct about copyright it might not still be a problem.

What you said he mentioned is an interesting thing. I wonder if that will be a problem as more people get comfortable with other versions. 

19 minutes ago, Rain said:

There could be multiple reasons.  What I heard from my SS teacher was long enough ago that even if he was correct about copyright it might not still be a problem.

I would bet copyright is still a problem.  The New Revised Standard Version was written in 1989 and so has a copyright for several more decades.  The New International Version was written in 1973 and still will have a copyright.

Back in 2009, the church published a Spanish edition of the Bible and it was based on a translation from 1909 which would have been out of copyright.

The church should be able to pay for a copyright license but they would want permission to do basically everything with the text and the copyright owners might not want to allow that.

Edit to add:

The Portuguese edition on the website is based on a translation from 1914.  The French edition is a translation from 1912.  The German edition is based on a translation from 1939.  The Italian edition on the website is from 1924.  All of those are public domain translations.  The Spanish, Portuguese, and German are all recently selected and modified so they could have picked newer translations but they chose ones that are in the public domain.  Does look like copyright is an issue.

Edited by webbles
34 minutes ago, Rain said:

Half my ward!

I love reading and speaking the KJV.  It is moving.  Count me as one of its fans…in a limited sense.

It is also poor for learning about the gospel or the experience of those behind the words imo.  It opens me to the Spirit more as a personal experience like beautiful music might than rather than connecting with a spiritual principle being taught.  For that I prefer other versions.

Edited by Calm
15 hours ago, Rain said:

13 hours ago, webbles said:

I would bet copyright is still a problem.  The New Revised Standard Version was written in 1989 and so has a copyright for several more decades.  The New International Version was written in 1973 and still will have a copyright.

I do not believe it is a copyright issue at all. The suggestion isn't that the church switch to another existing copyrighted version but that it produce its own translation. The church produces its own version of the KJV for which it holds the copyright as it does for Bibles in many other languages. It would want an English bible that was cross-referenced to the rest of its scriptures. In order to do that it would have to do its own translation. Given its resources it would take very little time. 

I think there are two problems. Such a translation would no longer line up with the rest of the LDS canon and we have become accustomed to scripture sounding like the English from the KJV. Neither of these issues are problems for non-English LDS.

31 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

I do not believe it is a copyright issue at all. The suggestion isn't that the church switch to another existing copyrighted version but that it produce its own translation. The church produces its own version of the KJV for which it holds the copyright as it does for Bibles in many other languages. It would want an English bible that was cross-referenced to the rest of its scriptures. In order to do that it would have to do its own translation. Given its resources it would take very little time. 

I think there are two problems. Such a translation would no longer line up with the rest of the LDS canon and we have become accustomed to scripture sounding like the English from the KJV. Neither of these issues are problems for non-English LDS.

The church has made its own translation in Spanish, Portuguese, and German.  All of those were based on a much earlier translation.  I would expect if the church went through a custom translation in English, it would base it on an existing translation that is in the public domain and I believe most translations that are better are all too new.  So it would still be based on the KJV or similar.

We've already had General Authorities use non-KJV versions of scriptures (I believe President Uchdorf was one of the more memorable ones) so I don't think the issue with "scripture sounding like KJV" is that big of a problem.

19 hours ago, CA Steve said:
19 hours ago, Rain said:

I have no interest in taking 5 hours to watch that.  Care to give a summary or a discussion point?

Apologetics is bad.

Questions about whether Mormonism is true are bad.

Boundry maintenace is bad.

Data should be followed over dogma.

+ a lot or personal backstory.

We should be more open to alternate point of views.

The church is built on the corpses of sacred cows.

I know this was sort of a tongue-in-cheek response, but I'm also guessing it's a totally valid summary, based on all the Dan TikToks I watched in 2021 and '22.    I'd also add:

The only reasons people want words to have a definition, is 1) to preserve existing power structures, and 2) to make sure that historically marginalized people remain marginalized.