Exploring what’s out there

I’ve been a believer in Jesus Christ since as long as I can remember. I’ve been a strong advocate for the Lutheran church for quite awhile, but I’ve been having doubts on whether my church or the “typical” Christian church is teaching the real message of the Bible. I have been friends with a few Mormons for some time now and am continually intrigued by what I have learned from them. Is there anything you can steer me to that will give me a further grasp of what the LDS church is about or what teachings may differ from what I’m accustomed too. Thanks! 

Website for investigation:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/comeuntochrist/about-us

This is the manual we use for new converts and basic reference.  I would read it from front to back and not skip around for the first reading.  But I would start out on Chum’s suggestion and the reference above (think they likely overlap, they keep updating the website so I can’t tell just by looking) to give you an idea of what our faith sees as our most important principles.

Pretty easy, quick read when done with the above.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-principles?lang=eng

Here is a link to the Book of Mormon:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/bofm?lang=eng

Other scriptures:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures?lang=eng&platform=web

Edited by Calm

I would suggest you read the following

Jesus the Christ by James Talmage

Jesus the Christ study guide published a year or two ago to update the original secular scholarship

Jesus of the World of the Old Testament

Believing Christ by Stephen Robinson

Together they will help you understand how we think differently than the rest of the Christian world about foundational issues.

The Great Apostasy by James Talmage and Key to the Science of Theology by Parley P. Pratt might also be useful for your quest.

Edited by rpn

The LDS church message is simple. We are all Gods literal children, and He wants us to return to him as a family. Everything in the program of the church is toward this end. As we live among our brothers and sisters, we should treat them with respect. 
Love God. 
Love your fellowman. 

It’s really that simple. 

1 hour ago, mrmarklin said:

The LDS church message is simple. We are all Gods literal children, and He wants us to return to him as a family. Everything in the program of the church is toward this end. As we live among our brothers and sisters, we should treat them with respect. 
Love God. 
Love your fellowman. 

It’s really that simple. 

Yeh, but the devil is in the details.  :pirate:

On 11/24/2021 at 9:16 PM, mitchellohl said:

I’ve been a believer in Jesus Christ since as long as I can remember. I’ve been a strong advocate for the Lutheran church for quite awhile, but I’ve been having doubts on whether my church or the “typical” Christian church is teaching the real message of the Bible. I have been friends with a few Mormons for some time now and am continually intrigued by what I have learned from them. Is there anything you can steer me to that will give me a further grasp of what the LDS church is about or what teachings may differ from what I’m accustomed too. Thanks! 

Welcome.  My husband comes from a Lutheran background and had lovely experiences with his Lutheran church growing up.  He converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when he was 16 (long before he knew me) but still speaks highly of his youth pastor from that part of his life.

I wish you good luck and good discernment in your journey to learn more about a different faith.  :) 

On 11/24/2021 at 8:16 PM, mitchellohl said:

Have you read the Book of Mormon yet? Or the D&C? That's what got me in the Church.