Seriously No Politics ×

Surviving Coronavirus in Style

Lincoln City, OR is one of several "destination" cities for visitors to the Oregon coast... our businesses count on tourist dollars to sustain them through the winter months... our govenor has issued an executive order that closes all hotels, motels, and short term rentals... among other things... until this virus is controlled... this will have a serious impact on our area.  The order was issued because of all the people ignoring the guidelines for physical distancing and self-quarantine, and are coming to the coast...

GG

2 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Lincoln City, OR is one of several "destination" cities for visitors to the Oregon coast... our businesses count on tourist dollars to sustain them through the winter months... our govenor has issued an executive order that closes all hotels, motels, and short term rentals... among other things... until this virus is controlled... this will have a serious impact on our area.  The order was issued because of all the people ignoring the guidelines for physical distancing and self-quarantine, and are coming to the coast...

GG

That is so difficult for so many, like a domino affect.

My sister and her husband are going through a hardship because their livelihood is in the wedding and events field. They had to postpone or cancel 40 events at their venue because of covid-19.

Edited by Tacenda

This article from Israel is indicating that it may be useless to try to forestall the epidemic.  Thus it may be unwise to be causing so much economic dislocations and shut downs.  It may be better to simply wash hands thoroughly, avoid coughing and generally engage in self isolation where practical.

Isreali News Article

22 minutes ago, longview said:

This article from Israel is indicating that it may be useless to try to forestall the epidemic.  Thus it may be unwise to be causing so much economic dislocations and shut downs.  It may be better to simply wash hands thoroughly, avoid coughing and generally engage in self isolation where practical.

Isreali News Article

Can’t read it without signing up. Just enough there to know Netanyahu is wrong (one does not infect only two, they could infect hundreds or thousands).

38 minutes ago, Calm said:

Can’t read it without signing up. Just enough there to know Netanyahu is wrong (one does not infect only two, they could infect hundreds or thousands).

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-israeli-expert-trump-is-right-about-covid-19-who-is-wrong-1.8691031?v=CDBFACA5662E8174BA824BAD929EA12B  Try this link, or maybe it let me read because it was my first time opening it up.

That one worked, thanks. 

Notable comments...

The basic principle is that a virus with an R0 of 2 in a non-immune population can be expected to infect 50 percent of the population. 

In other words, the coronavirus did not undergo mutations at the same frequency as the flu. Of course, the mutations themselves are a function of the number of infections: The more infections there are, the greater the likelihood that mutations will occur. But in practice, the most rapid mutations occur in animals, and they only infect us then, and obviously it’s less probable that we will be infected again by a bat in the near future.

“The actual number of people who are sick with the virus in South Korea is at least double what’s being reported, so the chance of dying is at least twice as low, standing at about 0.45 percent – very far from the World Health Organization’s [global mortality] figure of 3.4 percent. And that’s already a reason for cautious optimism.”

Using .45% and 150 million infected, I get 675,000 deaths in the US.  My math right?

So what you’re saying is to tear the bandage off in one fell swoop, and explose everyone at once, the way they tried to do in Britain.

I don’t think he addresses this question. This approach ignores limits on health care. Death rates will go up with lower quality care for the severely ill.  You dump everyone in the hospital in two months rather than over two years...where are the ventilators to keep them alive going to come from?

Edited by Calm

This is what people do when disaster strikes, love it! My sis shared it on FB, I c/p'd word for word. Hope it helps cheer folks up!

🇺🇸 🇺🇸🌎🌎🇺🇸🇺🇸🌏🌏🇺🇸🇺🇸🌍🌍🇺🇸🇺🇸

“Hey World, hold my beer and watch this."

The reports are that the truckers are getting supplies to the stores. People are stocking the shelves all night and letting old people shop first. Carnival Cruise line said, “We can match those big Navy Hospital ships with some fully staffed cruise ships” GM said hold our cars and watch this; we can make those ventilators where we were making cars starting next week. Women and children are making homemade masks and handing out snacks to truckers. Restaurants and schools said, We’ve got kitchens and staff; we can feed kids.” Churches are holding on-line services and taking care of their members and community. NBA basketball players said, “Hold our basketballs while we write checks to pay the arena staff.” Construction companies said, “Here are some masks for the medical staff and doctors”. Breweries are making sanitizer out of the left-over ingredients. We thought we couldn’t live without Baseball, NASCAR, NBA or going on vacation, or to restaurants or a bar. Instead, we’re trying to keep those businesses open by ordering take-out and gift cards.

I think a Japanese Admiral in the middle of the Pacific said it best in 1941, "I think we have awakened a sleeping giant."

Give us a few more weeks/months and we will be doing much better!

We have a wonderful country and an amazing God.

I know we will be ok .🇺🇸🙏🏻🙌🏻🙏🏻🇺🇸

**I copied, edited (took out partisan references)and pasted it from someone else.

#unitedwestand

6 hours ago, Calm said:

I don’t think he addresses this question. This approach ignores limits on health care. Death rates will go up with lower quality care for the severely ill.  You dump everyone in the hospital in two months rather than over two years...where are the ventilators to keep them alive going to come from?

We simply need to change the focus on who to safeguard.  Those younger than 30 (or even 50) can shrug off the CCP virus with a death rate way less than the seasonal flu (which number in the tens of thousands).  Read Epoch Times report on the CCP Virus

Ann Coulter states:

"If, as the evidence suggests, the Chinese virus is enormously dangerous to people with certain medical conditions and those over 70 years old, but a much smaller danger to those under 70, then shutting down the entire country indefinitely is probably a bad idea.  "But even when the time is right — by Easter, June or the fall — there will be no one to stop the quarantine because the media will continue to hype every coronavirus death, as if these are the only deaths that count and the only deaths that were preventable.
What mayor, governor or president will be willing to take the blame for causing a coronavirus death?
"We’ll get no BREAKING NEWS alerts for the regular flu deaths (so far this season, more than 23,000, compared to 533 from the coronavirus).
Nor for the more than 3,000 people who die every day of heart disease or cancer. No alerts for the hundreds who die each day from car accidents, illegal aliens and suicide.
"Only coronavirus deaths are considered newsworthy.
We’re told by the “Quarantine Everybody” crowd: Listen to the scientists! Unfortunately, most of the “scientists” they present to us are lawyers. (How did Robert Reich, Donna Shalala and Ron Klain become medical professionals?)

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/03/25/coulter-how-do-we-flatten-the-curve-on-panic/

Edited by longview

Longview, This shouldn't be in Social, so skipping your response so I can resist responding myself.  Feel free to repost it elsewhere if you want me to engage it.  :)

On a lighter note....

https://babylonbee.com/news/man-working-from-home-encounters-nasty-10-matchbox-car-pileup-on-evening-commute

CHINO, CA—Local man Barrett Hampton encountered a nasty 10-Matchbox-car pileup on his evening commute Monday.

He was making good time from his makeshift upstairs office to the living room when he had to put on the brakes, spotting the brutal car crash just ahead. 

"Honey, I'm gonna be late -- there's a huge accident up ahead," he said, phoning his wife, who was sitting on the couch ten feet away. "Oh, man, it looks bad. A Hummer is dangling off a cliff, there's a jackknifed trailer attached to a Jeep, and there's some kind of dune buggy flipped over. What's with all the dune buggies out today? And... does that car up there have a mounted .50 caliber machine gun? I'd better try to get around this."

The man attempted to reroute himself around the accident but immediately stepped on a Lego....

https://babylonbee.com/news/god-breaking-quarantine-and-going-everywhere

HEAVEN—The CDC now recommends that everyone stay home and avoid going out as much as possible. Despite this, reports are that God is breaking quarantine and going absolutely everywhere.

Hospitals, nursing homes, prisons -- wherever He is needed, God is going. He is reportedly visiting everyone and checking on everyone in this time of need and not using any amount of social distancing. God is said to be following the absolute best practices, though, and is at no risk of making people sick but only making people better.

“We have absolutely no control over the guy,” said CDC spokesman Jim Wells, “which is extremely frustrating. We want to remind you, though, that you’re not God, so please stay put in small groups.”....

I mentioned elsewhere that I teach Chinese children English online. We noticed a bump of demand back in January as families in isolation signed up their children for more classes. I am grateful that I had that awareness that early because it made me much more mindful of hygiene measures as a traveled daily on buses and attended school, and it prepared me for the changes that came as the virus emerged in the UK. Today I am teaching and one of my regular Chinese students and her mother checked on me. They asked for my address so that they could send me some masks.

I loved tutoring the Asian kids, both immigrants and visitors just coming over to learn the language (stayed with friends or family). I was astonished at the sacrifice parents and children were willing to make. In many ways Asian kids are raised more independently, even elementary age travel public transportation on their own because parents are often already at work or won’t be home until late. OTOH, there are some tight ties of obligations and commitment between generations.  Parents seem to have much greater input into decisions their adult children make, but I may be out of date since our close Chinese and Korea friends were left behind in Canada.