Seriously No Politics ×

Bill Reel $150 Challenge to Church Newsroom

I think it's noteworthy to point out that while the LDS Church reserves the right to make changes to the presentation of the endowment (not just a new, shorter film), it has consistently been critical of other presentations of the baptismal ordinance. IOW, the endowment can be changed, but the baptismal ordinance cannot.

1 minute ago, Thinking said:

I think it's noteworthy to point out that while the LDS Church reserves the right to make changes to the presentation of the endowment (not just a new, shorter film), it has consistently been critical of other presentations of the baptismal ordinance. IOW, the endowment can be changed, but the baptismal ordinance cannot.

I don't know about that. One of the baptismal ordinances that we have in the BOM, for example, is different than the one we have now.  It's not change that the church is critical of, it's (in their belief) unauthorized change.  

20 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I don't know about that. One of the baptismal ordinances that we have in the BOM, for example, is different than the one we have now.  It's not change that the church is critical of, it's (in their belief) unauthorized change.  

No surprise there. The wording of the temple ordinances must be strictly followed. The sacrament prayers too for that matter. 

But the sacrament prayers as recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants differ (by one word) from how they are in the Book of Mormon. A lot of people are unaware of that. 

1 hour ago, stemelbow said:

I think Bill set this all up by quoting leaders who said the ordinances would not change.  I do believe one or two of the quotes he used said not one word of the temple rite would change.  I"m not really eager to back and re-listen. 

Sounds like you may be interested to argue that the ordinances didn't change even if the ceremony did, or something?  

No, I just want to know what he had in mind.  Bill tends to misconstrue stuff. 

But, like you, I’m not about to go listen to his podcast just to find out. 

On 1/18/2019 at 10:39 AM, stemelbow said:

I think it's clear, Bill didn't expect the challenge to be met.  Of course he knew there was a chance it would be met, that's why he only offered 50 bucks.  If he felt really strongly that the challenge would not be met he'd offer 5 grand or something, for effect.  

It was met.  The big problem he faced is he thought all the quotes from past leaders which basically said the ceremony and ordinances would never change, represented, essentially, a canonized view.  He probably imagined other leaders and prophets would contradict each other, because it happens all the time.  But it is apparent, he really didn't think they would have contradicted each other on this.   

Whatever the case, cinepro enjoyed the whole challenge and found it worthwhile, so that's all that counts.  If we can entertain that dude, we've got something.  

On 1/18/2019 at 10:42 AM, Duncan said:

I like you! 

On 1/18/2019 at 12:32 PM, stemelbow said:

That's one of us.

Unless I'm missing something, that seems rather mean-spirited.  I miss the "old" stem, from the "love, stem" days. :(

17 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Unless I'm missing something, that seems rather mean-spirited.  I miss the "old" stem, from the "love, stem" days. :(

I read it as self deprecating, as in he didn't like himself (joking hopefully).

9 hours ago, Duncan said:

I didn't read it as a dig on me either!

I read it like the youngest daughter in the movie "Sound of Music" that at first didn't like her governess, Maria (Julie Andrews) and then she changed her mind and said, "I like you!"

21 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I read it like the youngest daughter in the movie "Sound of Music" that at first didn't like her governess, Maria (Julie Andrews) and then she changed her mind and said, "I like you!"

to quote Barney Rubble, "could be, couuuuuuuld be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"