Seriously No Politics ×

The Demise of Scouting

1 hour ago, longview said:

Yes, as big as the Koran plus many traditions thrown in.  But there are elements in western governments that are too willing to allow sharia practises to supercede the protections of the Constitution.  Such as honor killings, FGM, subjugation of females and homosexuals, etc.  Which simply cannot be allowed.

(Note:   I had a lengthier response to Nehor on this issue that was censored perhaps due to my needlessly graphic description of the process of FGM)

That's OK. I don't need a lengthier version  to know about Islam. I know enough. While some western governments have allowed some Sharia courts, those are typically for domestic matters. While I do believe many millions of Muslims are wonderful, peaceful people, I do believe classical Islam spells trouble for the future, and have my strong doubts that classical Sunni and Shia can live together peacefully in any large numbers inside western countries. In every country where Muslims have become a majority or near majority, they began to press for Sharia. I don't believe western governments are allowing sharia practices to "supercede the protections" of their constitutions, but these things go on inside their countries because Muslims want to practice their religion. Some of them have gone on in the United States as well. There are cases of FGM, and "honor killings" like the daughter in NJ who said she wanted to leave Islam. It is not that we are "allowing" them. It is just that we have allowed in some Muslims who want to keep these practices rather than honor the US constitution. I am of the opinion that applicants for citizenship who pass initial screening should be given something like a 10 year visa. If they violate any constitutional principles or rights of others in that time, they should get deported or be tried as a foreigner under US law. To my knowledge there is no other religion which poses as many and as major challenges to the US Constitution as Islam does. I certainly do not favor an open door policy.

The Church has announced its separation from the BSA snd all other scouting associations from  31 December 2019.  It will roll out a new children and youth program in 2020, worldwide. 

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/new-program-children-youth

what does this mean? Scouts and cubs and all that animal stuff is out the door?

You do have a way with words, Duncan! :D 

1 hour ago, sheilauk said:

The Church has announced its separation from the BSA snd all other scouting associations from  31 December 2019.  It will roll out a new children and youth program in 2020, worldwide. 

Sheilauk is, without question, the best poster of posts that have ever been posted.

(MIC DROP!)

On 4/23/2018 at 12:18 PM, Bernard Gui said:

In spite of an old and very good Girl Scout/Brownie tradition, Cub Scouting is no longer an activity for boys. Another important American cultural institution falls to progressive action. Perhaps it is now time for the Church and Scouting to permanently separate. As a life-long Scouter, I’m sad to see the program fail. Your thoughts?

http://www.thenewstribune.com/opinion/article209368169.html

You know being a hard line liberal from every angle it's hard to disagree with you, when traditional scouting work OK without interference of progressive intrusion....why mess with it? 

13 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

The reality is that unless scout camps allow non-scouts to use the facilities they can't remain fiscally solvent. It's worth noting that many already do. Camp Jeremiah up Hobble Creek south of Provo regularly has Activity Days girls scheduled. Our ward's girls have gone several times. Many of the counselors are female teens as well.

Of course a lot depends upon the new program the Church organizes. One problem is that many boys already didn't really like scouts, but that was the only program. I suspect the new program will be a lot less scouty in an aim to appeal to more youth. Also I suspect the real transition problem is members feeling half hearted about scouts knowing it's being canceled for something new.