Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

2018 FairMormon Conference: Women's Workshop, Seventy Elder Pearson


Recommended Posts

Posted

I encourage anyone interested in the Church Historian Press and how they are contributing to a better (fuller, more accurate, just as faithful) discussion of people as individuals as well as the history of early Mormonism to listen to Wednesday's free presentation of Jenny Reeder's talk (assuming it is still available Thursday).  Makes me quite excited about what is being made available to members as well as scholars to help in personal study as well as what we can add to discussion at Church, in particular the work At the Pulpit.  The Church is making it available as part of the Gospel Library and describes it as  "The talks focus on doctrinal themes" which is how the curriculum is structured these days, showing imo, intent on use in our lessons/discussions at church.

"At the Pulpit comes alive when people use it. While we know women gave great talks of doctrinal importance, we recognize the power and meaning of those words when we understand their lives that produced such testimony,” said Reeder."

https://www.lds.org/church/news/discourses-by-mormon-women-in-at-the-pulpit-book-now-online?lang=eng

Want more details? watch Jenny Reeder's talk.

There are also additional projects that are just going to add so much depth to how we talk about our heritage, imo.

Posted (edited)

Completely spaced on this today (when it rains, it pours kind of thing...also all's well that ends).  For those who haven't taken advantage of it yet, today's free streaming presentation:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2106298732714833&id=647738041904250&_rdr

Quote

John Gee on the Book of Abraham at FairMormon

 

Edited by Calm
Posted

I was present Thursday for some of the sessions. Brad Wilcox, a popular speaker in LDS circles, particularly on the topic of grace, outdid himself today in his presentation on that topic. 

This was complemented very appropriately with the subsequent presentation by Steve Densley and Geret Giles. In a stimulating (and, what I predict, will be a somewhat controversial) joint address, they made a persuasive case that a faith crisis could be attributed in part and in some instances, to a pre-existing condition of mental or emotional distress. I look forward to reading and pondering this address at my leisure when the transcript is posted. 

Gotta say it was nice for once to sit back and enjoy the conference without the nagging feeling that I would have to boil it down into a news report. My erstwhile colleague, Jason Swensen, seems to have picked up the ball nicely with his report of the Wednesday sessions and what I hope will be a follow up on the Thursday and Friday proceedings. 

Posted

I watched all of Gee's presentation and I was somewhat disappointed as he did not respond that much on the BOA. He was asked if he would respond to the response of Robert Ritner to the Gospel Topic essay on the BOA. Amazing response. From my position I kind of felt sorry for him. He set off a firestorm on FB and elsewhere. People like Randell Bowen were disappointed with it. Is there another September Six type event coming?

Posted

“Is there another September Six type event coming?“

Why in the world would you assume this could be a possibility based on a talk at FM?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, aussieguy55 said:

I watched all of Gee's presentation and I was somewhat disappointed as he did not respond that much on the BOA. He was asked if he would respond to the response of Robert Ritner to the Gospel Topic essay on the BOA. Amazing response. From my position I kind of felt sorry for him. He set off a firestorm on FB and elsewhere. People like Randell Bowen were disappointed with it. Is there another September Six type event coming?

Why would you expect that any defense of the Book of Abraham would not set off a firestorm on Facebook? Disparagment of the Book of Abraham is one of the sacred cows of the unbelievers. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Posted (edited)

Since it appears many were too busy to do live reporting this year, I suspect the individual threads will get going when the transcripts come out (all volunteered done and we have to wait for the speakers to get stuff to us, which when life happens can throw things off).

So I will just keeping posting minimal info here and then when get more detail, I would encourage new and unique threads for each topic:

 https://www.ldschurchnews.com/global/2018-08-02/sometimes-its-just-not-talked-about-fairmormon-conference-sheds-light-on-the-impact-women-have-had-on-the-church-47720

Quote

Other FairMormon 2018 highlights include a Thursday discussion on grace by BYU ancient scripture professor Brad Wilcox. Meanwhile, Wilcox's fellow BYU faculty member, Daniel Peterson, will offer Friday’s concluding presentation entitled “Apologetics: What, Why and How?”

Elder Kevin W. Pearson, a General Authority Seventy, is scheduled to speak Friday morning on “sacred and imperative” duties.

A few highlights from Wednesday’s opening day:

In a presentation entitled “Fire In My Bones,” 19th century women’s history specialist Jenny Reeder echoed Gordon’s sentiment regarding the historical visibility of women in the Church:

“Women have been and continue to be an important part of the Restoration — but they are sometimes hidden.”

As the co-author of multiple books focusing on the legacy of Latter-day Saint women, she has been reminded of women’s essential and ongoing roles in the growth of the Church.

During her presentation, Reeder utilized historical photos and quotes from several Latter-day Saint women ranging from the well-known Emma Smith and Lucy Mack Smith to more obscure, yet equally devout, women such as Phoebe Angel and Jane Wilkie Hooper Blood.

The women, she discovered, were both unified and diverse. “I read these women’s stories to know I am not alone,” said Reeder, modifying the familiar quote on reading.

Studying the histories of Latter-day Saint women provides both scholarly information and devotional inspiration. The well-being of women, she concluded, “is crucial to the success of the (Church), and these women’s stories ... encourage us and helps us to remember that we are not alone.”

Historian Lisa Olsen Tait focused her presentation Wednesday on the Gospel Topics Essays found at lds.org.

A prayerful examination of the wide-ranging essays reveals the spiritual interdependence between men and women, she said.

Discussing the history and roles of women in the Church can sometimes be painful, polemic and divisive. Tait called for care, humility and compassion as people search for answers and direction.

Taunalyn Rutherford presented her research on Latter-day Saint women in India.

The Church is, of course, in its infancy in India. There are about 13,500 Latter-day Saints in a country of well over a billion people. Still, Rutherford has witnessed local Latter-day Saint women exercising tremendous faith, often amid cultural conflict and even persecution.

Stakes are forming even as the Indian members prepare for their nation’s first temple.

India’s frequently observed caste system and marriage practices can pose day-to-day challenges for Latter-day Saints. “Where does religion end and culture start?” asked Rutherford.

Still, Latter-day Saint women in India tell Rutherford that the gospel has improved their lives, even as they make difficult personal sacrifices and often find themselves at odds with relatives and loved ones.

 

Edited by Calm
Posted
4 hours ago, aussieguy55 said:

I watched all of Gee's presentation and I was somewhat disappointed as he did not respond that much on the BOA. He was asked if he would respond to the response of Robert Ritner to the Gospel Topic essay on the BOA. Amazing response. From my position I kind of felt sorry for him. He set off a firestorm on FB and elsewhere. People like Randell Bowen were disappointed with it. Is there another September Six type event coming?

I am the poster known as Randall Bowen on facebook. I posted some thoughts on this in the thread titled "Role of Neo or Progressive Apologetics within Fairmormon".

Posted

Livestreaming today is, I think, Elder Pearson at 11.

https://m.facebook.com/fairmormon/

I have to roll over and get a few more hours of sleep.

will be showing up for the  3 PM talk; Jeff Robinson, my brother-in-law is speaking and family first and all. ;)

Posted

my email to scott dated july 30th was never responded to. 

I had emergency eye surgery last week, and would like to transfer my payment for 2 days of the conference to a streaming equivalent. 

anyone? 

Cliff 

Posted
1 hour ago, HiJolly said:

my email to scott dated july 30th was never responded to. 

I had emergency eye surgery last week, and would like to transfer my payment for 2 days of the conference to a streaming equivalent. 

anyone? 

Cliff 

I will take care of it today. Nag me if I forget

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Calm said:

Livestreaming today is, I think, Elder Pearson at 11.

https://m.facebook.com/fairmormon/

I have to roll over and get a few more hours of sleep.

will be showing up for the  3 PM talk; Jeff Robinson, my brother-in-law is speaking and family first and all. ;)

I already like your brother-in-law’s talk and he’s only part-way through. 

A sentence I like: “The idea that you acquired it [language ability] means neither that you were ‘born that way’ or that you chose it.”

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Posted
3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I already like your brother-in-law’s talk and he’s only part-way through. 

A sentence I like: “The idea that you acquired it [language ability] means neither that you were ‘born that way’ or that you chose it.”

Fantastic, wasn’t it?

Posted

If all goes as planned, transcript should be up relatively soon.

Posted
20 hours ago, HiJolly said:

my email to scott dated july 30th was never responded to. 

I had emergency eye surgery last week, and would like to transfer my payment for 2 days of the conference to a streaming equivalent. 

anyone? 

Cliff 

I spaced on your name and so was going to talk to Scott to get it, but by the time we occupied the same sphere my mind had gone back to sleep. But refund will take place. 

Posted

Bought my streaming ticket last night and have started watching.  I was pleased to see Lou Midgely get recognized!  My old branch president at BYU.  He's a little bit older nowadays.  As am I.  

Looking forward to watching the conference vicariously!

Posted
1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

Bought my streaming ticket last night and have started watching.  I was pleased to see Lou Midgely get recognized!  My old branch president at BYU.  He's a little bit older nowadays.  As am I.  

Looking forward to watching the conference vicariously!

He has been an eloquent and fearless defender of the faith  

In some ways, he reminds me of Gideon in the Book of Mormon. 

Posted
On 8/3/2018 at 8:55 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

Considerable food for thought. 

Everyone ought to come and watch Scott looking all chill and comfortable. 

Posted
1 hour ago, juliann said:

Everyone ought to come and watch Scott looking all chill and comfortable. 

Somebody in quorum meeting today asked me why I am letting my whiskers grow. 

“Because I can,” was my reply. 

Posted
On 8/4/2018 at 7:55 AM, Calm said:

I spaced on your name and so was going to talk to Scott to get it, but by the time we occupied the same sphere my mind had gone back to sleep. But refund will take place. 

I don't see a refund; i don't really need it if I can get authorization to the conference streaming content. Right now I have nothing, and it makes me sad. 

Posted
3 hours ago, HiJolly said:

I don't see a refund; i don't really need it if I can get authorization to the conference streaming content. Right now I have nothing, and it makes me sad. 

They want to do an exchange but I don’t know if they have the right name. Scott couldn’t find the email   Might have been deleted accidentally or tech issues due to the fires (life got very complicated due to the fires). The bookstore people are waiting for an email from you to process it. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...