Church buys apartment complex in Texas

rockpond

The Church has recently purchased a 386-unit apartment complex in Irving, Texas.  We don't know the price paid but it is valued for tax purposes at $45 million. 

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20160725-new-las-colinas-apartment-community-sells-to-mormon-investment-company.ece

From the article:

"Apartment builder JPI sold its new Jefferson Las Colinas, which opened last year with 386 units.

The six-acre rental community is on Las Colinas Boulevard just north of Northwest Highway.

JPI senior vice president Matt Brendel said the project is "one of the prominent properties within the city's Urban Center."

JPI did not disclose the buyer of the apartment community.

But it was purchased by Utah-based Property Reserve Inc., a real estate investment and development company owned by the of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, county deed records show."

Oh no!  What sinister motives do they have now?  :P

6 hours ago, rockpond said:

The Church has recently purchased a 386-unit apartment complex in Irving, Texas.  We don't know the price paid but it is valued for tax purposes at $45 million. 

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20160725-new-las-colinas-apartment-community-sells-to-mormon-investment-company.ece

From the article:

"Apartment builder JPI sold its new Jefferson Las Colinas, which opened last year with 386 units.

The six-acre rental community is on Las Colinas Boulevard just north of Northwest Highway.

JPI senior vice president Matt Brendel said the project is "one of the prominent properties within the city's Urban Center."

JPI did not disclose the buyer of the apartment community.

But it was purchased by Utah-based Property Reserve Inc., a real estate investment and development company owned by the of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, county deed records show."

The prophecies make it clear that by the time of the Second Coming the Church and kingdom will be a totally self-sufficient and independent economic and political entity. In order for these glorious prophecies of refuge and protection in the midst of worldwide tribulation to be fulfilled, the Church will be making more and more decisions designed to establish that prophesied economic independence. So lucky for the naysayers and ark-steadiers they will have plenty of Church financial decisions and acquisitions to decry and be upset about as we move close and closer to the establishment of Zion. 

12 minutes ago, Bobbieaware said:

The prophecies make it clear that by the time of the Second Coming the Church and kingdom will be a totally self-sufficient and independent economic and political entity. In order for these glorious prophecies of refuge and protection in the midst of worldwide tribulation to be fulfilled, the Church will be making more and more decisions designed to establish that prophesied economic independence. So lucky for the naysayers and ark-steadiers they will have plenty of Church financial decisions and acquisitions to decry and be upset about as we move close and closer to the establishment of Zion. 

1.  Which prophecies make that clear?

2.  Aren't we already self-sufficient economically?

3.  What does it mean for the church to be an independent political entity?  What would that look like and how would this apartment complex play into it?

51 minutes ago, rockpond said:

1.  Which prophecies make that clear?

2.  Aren't we already self-sufficient economically?

3.  What does it mean for the church to be an independent political entity?  What would that look like and how would this apartment complex play into it?

Go to the Book of Mormom, Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl of Great Price and look up all the passages of scripture that mention Zion and its destiny and you'll have your answers. It makes no good sense for Yours Truly to spoon-feed naysayers these prophecies because they'll most likely look at them for a moment and instantly discount them or explain them away. And please don't say I didn't answer your call for references...

• establish the cause of Zion:  D&C 6:6 . (  D&C 11:6 ;  D&C 12:6 . )
  • have taken the Zion of Enoch into mine own bosom:  D&C 38:4 . (  Moses 7:68 . )
  • every man that will not take his sword … must needs flee unto Zion:  D&C 45:68 .
  • land of promise, and the place for the city of Zion:  D&C 57:2 .
  • land upon which the Zion of God shall stand:  D&C 58:7 .
  • an agent … to receive moneys to purchase lands in Zion:  D&C 58:49 .
  • land of Zion—I, the Lord, hold it in mine own hands:  D&C 63:25 .
  • Zion shall not be obtained but by purchase or by blood:  D&C 63:29 .
  • Zion shall flourish:  D&C 64:41 .
  • These are they who are come unto Mount Zion:  D&C 76:66 .
  • Zion must increase in beauty, and in holiness:  D&C 82:14 .
  • Mount Zion … city of New Jerusalem:  D&C 84:2 .
  • condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion:  D&C 84:56 .
  • I … will contend with Zion:  D&C 90:36 .
  • Zion is the city of our God:  D&C 97:19 .
  • this is Zion—the pure in heart:  D&C 97:21 .
  • Zion shall escape if she observe to do all things:  D&C 97:25 .
  • Zion shall be redeemed, although she is chastened:  D&C 100:13 .
  • Zion shall not be moved out of her place:  D&C 101:17 .
  • redemption of Zion must needs come by power:  D&C 103:15 .
  • as your fathers were led … so shall the redemption of Zion be:  D&C 103:18 .
  • Zion cannot be built up unless it is by the principles … of the celestial kingdom:  D&C 105:5. (  D&C 105:32 . )
  • kingdom of Zion is in very deed the kingdom of our God:  D&C 105:32 .
  • come forth to Zion, or to her stakes:  D&C 109:39 .
  • thou didst appoint a Zion unto thy people:  D&C 109:51 .
  • power of priesthood to bring again Zion:  D&C 113:8 .
  • gathering together upon the land of Zion:  D&C 115:6 .
  • that Zion may go forth unto the regions round about:  D&C 133:9 .
  • Gentiles flee unto Zion:  D&C 133:12 .
  • Jerusalem and the land of Zion shall be turned back into their own place:  D&C 133:24 .
  • fall down and be crowned with glory, even in Zion:  D&C 133:32 .
  • he shall stand upon Mount Zion, and upon the holy city:  D&C 133:56 .
  • prepared to receive … the glory of Zion:  D&C 136:31 .
  • Lord called his people Zion, because they were of one heart:  Moses 7:18 .
  • Enoch … built a city … even Zion:  Moses 7:19 .
  • Zion shall dwell in safety forever:  Moses 7:20 .
  • Zion … was taken up into heaven:  Moses 7:21 .
  • it shall be called Zion, a New Jerusalem:  Moses 7:62 .
  • days of Zion, in the days of Enoch, were three hundred and sixty-five years:  Moses 7:68 .
  • Enoch … dwelt in the midst of Zion … thence went forth the saying, Zion is Fled:  Moses 7:69 .
  • Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent:  A of F 1:10 .
Edited by Bobbieaware
27 minutes ago, Bobbieaware said:

Go to the Book of Mormom, Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl of Great Price and look up all the passages of scripture that mention Zion and its destiny and you'll have your answers. It makes no good sense for Yours Truly to spoon-feed naysayers these prophecies because they'll most likely look at them for a moment and instantly discount them or explain them away. And please don't say I didn't answer your call for references...

• establish the cause of Zion:  D&C 6:6 . (  D&C 11:6 ;  D&C 12:6 . )
  • have taken the Zion of Enoch into mine own bosom:  D&C 38:4 . (  Moses 7:68 . )
  • every man that will not take his sword … must needs flee unto Zion:  D&C 45:68 .
  • land of promise, and the place for the city of Zion:  D&C 57:2 .
  • land upon which the Zion of God shall stand:  D&C 58:7 .
  • an agent … to receive moneys to purchase lands in Zion:  D&C 58:49 .
  • land of Zion—I, the Lord, hold it in mine own hands:  D&C 63:25 .
  • Zion shall not be obtained but by purchase or by blood:  D&C 63:29 .
  • Zion shall flourish:  D&C 64:41 .
  • These are they who are come unto Mount Zion:  D&C 76:66 .
  • Zion must increase in beauty, and in holiness:  D&C 82:14 .
  • Mount Zion … city of New Jerusalem:  D&C 84:2 .
  • condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion:  D&C 84:56 .
  • I … will contend with Zion:  D&C 90:36 .
  • Zion is the city of our God:  D&C 97:19 .
  • this is Zion—the pure in heart:  D&C 97:21 .
  • Zion shall escape if she observe to do all things:  D&C 97:25 .
  • Zion shall be redeemed, although she is chastened:  D&C 100:13 .
  • Zion shall not be moved out of her place:  D&C 101:17 .
  • redemption of Zion must needs come by power:  D&C 103:15 .
  • as your fathers were led … so shall the redemption of Zion be:  D&C 103:18 .
  • Zion cannot be built up unless it is by the principles … of the celestial kingdom:  D&C 105:5. (  D&C 105:32 . )
  • kingdom of Zion is in very deed the kingdom of our God:  D&C 105:32 .
  • come forth to Zion, or to her stakes:  D&C 109:39 .
  • thou didst appoint a Zion unto thy people:  D&C 109:51 .
  • power of priesthood to bring again Zion:  D&C 113:8 .
  • gathering together upon the land of Zion:  D&C 115:6 .
  • that Zion may go forth unto the regions round about:  D&C 133:9 .
  • Gentiles flee unto Zion:  D&C 133:12 .
  • Jerusalem and the land of Zion shall be turned back into their own place:  D&C 133:24 .
  • fall down and be crowned with glory, even in Zion:  D&C 133:32 .
  • he shall stand upon Mount Zion, and upon the holy city:  D&C 133:56 .
  • prepared to receive … the glory of Zion:  D&C 136:31 .
  • Lord called his people Zion, because they were of one heart:  Moses 7:18 .
  • Enoch … built a city … even Zion:  Moses 7:19 .
  • Zion shall dwell in safety forever:  Moses 7:20 .
  • Zion … was taken up into heaven:  Moses 7:21 .
  • it shall be called Zion, a New Jerusalem:  Moses 7:62 .
  • days of Zion, in the days of Enoch, were three hundred and sixty-five years:  Moses 7:68 .
  • Enoch … dwelt in the midst of Zion … thence went forth the saying, Zion is Fled:  Moses 7:69 .
  • Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent:  A of F 1:10 .

Those citations don't actually answer the questions I asked.  But your seemingly antagonistic reply makes me feel that I should just drop it.  I wasn't trying to start an argument. 

This is a situation where language is important.  Did the Church buy it or an investment group owned by the Church?  Obviously the distinction makes a world of difference to the meaning of what Rock has presented.  

I strongly suspect that an investment group owned by the Church has made an investment - that being the case what else is new?  Do we expect an investment group not to make investments?

If the Church is buying an apartment complex then it makes no sense.  Guess which one I think has happened and what a yawner this is.  

Edited by Storm Rider
1 hour ago, rockpond said:

Those citations don't actually answer the questions I asked.  But your seemingly antagonistic reply makes me feel that I should just drop it.  I wasn't trying to start an argument. 

If you look these verses up and read them in context, many of them would answer your questions.

One of the things I'm finding quite grating of late about this board is that the LDS Church member naysayers on this board seem to be quite ignorant of basic LDS doctrine, and this in spite of the fact that they are otherwise obviously intelligent and well-informed people. So it seems to me that the ignorance that's on display here is often a willful ignorance-- an ignorance of things scriptural and spiritual that exists simply because some don't want to know the truth.

For example, you act surprised that I assert the prophecies of scripture testify that the Church and kingdom of God will one-day become a totally independent economic and political state, yet this is -- or at least should be -- common knowledge among the saints. For example, The Lord himself proclaims the following will most-assuredly come to pass

And thus, with the sword and by bloodshed the inhabitants of the earth shall mourn; and with famine, and plague, and earthquake, and the thunder of heaven, and the fierce and vivid lightning also, shall the inhabitants of the earth be made to feel the wrath, and indignation, and chastening hand of an Almighty God, until the consumption decreed hath made a full end of all nations; (D&C 87)

It goes without saying that when all the nations of the world have ceased to exist the only governing body and economic system that will continue to exist is the Zion of God, the central governing and administrative body of which will be located in the capital city of New Jerusalem, as testified to in the Articles of Faith.

If one believes the religion of the Latter-day Saimts, he or she will believe these things are going to happen. And why will they happen? Because the Lord knows the governments and institutions of the world are going to completely (not partially) fall apart, and cease to exist, and that's why he has commanded the saints to faithfully do the following:

13 Behold, this is the preparation wherewith I prepare you, and the foundation, and the ensample which I give unto you, whereby you may accomplish the commandments which are given you;

14 That through my providence, notwithstanding the tribulation which shall descend upon you, that the church may stand independent above all other creatures beneath the celestial world; (D&C 78)

This is basic stuff. Why is it necessary to have to review doctrines and prophecies that any member with a basic knowledge should already know? 

1 hour ago, Storm Rider said:

This is a situation where language is important.  Did the Church buy it or an investment group owned by the Church.  Obviously the distinction makes a world of difference to the meaning of what Rock has presented.  

I strongly suspect that an investment group owned by the Church has made an investment - that being the case what else is new?  Do we expect an investment group not to make investments?

If the Church is buying an apartment complex then it makes no sense.  Guess which one I think has happened and what a yawner this is.  

It was purchased by Property Reserve, Inc which is owned and controlled by the Church.

I thought it was interesting enough to post and share.  If it's a "yawner" for you, you can pass over it.

1 hour ago, Bobbieaware said:

If you look these verses up and read them in context, many of them would answer your questions.

One of the things I'm finding quite grating of late about this board is that the LDS Church member naysayers on this board seem to be quite ignorant of basic LDS doctrine, and this in spite of the fact that they are otherwise obviously intelligent and well-informed people. So it seems to me that the ignorance that's on display here is often a willful ignorance-- an ignorance of things scriptural and spiritual that exists simply because some don't want to know the truth.

For example, you act surprised that I assert the prophecies of scripture testify that the Church and kingdom of God will one-day become a totally independent economic and political state, yet this is -- or at least should be -- common knowledge among the saints. For example, The Lord himself proclaims the following will most-assuredly come to pass

And thus, with the sword and by bloodshed the inhabitants of the earth shall mourn; and with famine, and plague, and earthquake, and the thunder of heaven, and the fierce and vivid lightning also, shall the inhabitants of the earth be made to feel the wrath, and indignation, and chastening hand of an Almighty God, until the consumption decreed hath made a full end of all nations; (D&C 87)

It goes without saying that when all the nations of the world have ceased to exist the only governing body and economic system that will continue to exist is the Zion of God, the central governing and administrative body of which will be located in the capital city of New Jerusalem, as testified to in the Articles of Faith.

If one believes the religion of the Latter-day Saimts, he or she will believe these things are going to happen. And why will they happen? Because the Lord knows the governments and institutions of the world are going to completely (not partially) fall apart, and cease to exist, and that's why he has commanded the saints to faithfully do the following:

13 Behold, this is the preparation wherewith I prepare you, and the foundation, and the ensample which I give unto you, whereby you may accomplish the commandments which are given you;

14 That through my providence, notwithstanding the tribulation which shall descend upon you, that the church may stand independent above all other creatures beneath the celestial world; (D&C 78)

This is basic stuff. Why is it necessary to have to review doctrines and prophecies that any member with a basic knowledge should already know? 

Again, maybe you can dialogue with me without the antagonism.  I'm not a "naysayer" so you can drop all the references to such.

You wrote:  "...by the time of the Second Coming the Church and kingdom will be a totally self-sufficient and independent economic and political entity"

1.  That phrasing, "by the time of", implied to me that it needed to happen before the Second Coming or in order to usher in the Second Coming.  But my understanding, as well as the scripture citations you offered, instead imply that the end of all nations is something that occurs as a result of the Second Coming, right?  Or am I missing something?

2.  Your terminology of an "independent political entity" is also what confused me.  I understand the Kingdom of God will consume the entire world and put an end to all other political boundaries but I didn't associate that with the church being an "independent political entity".

3.  You stated that the prophecies are that the Church would be a totally self-sufficient economic entity.  Hasn't it already achieved that?  If not, what does that look like?  I'm not seeing that in the scriptures you reference.

4.  Maybe your answer to #3 will resolve this but I'm curious how you see the purchase of the apartment complex as achieving the ends that you describe.

1 hour ago, rockpond said:

Again, maybe you can dialogue with me without the antagonism.  I'm not a "naysayer" so you can drop all the references to such.

You wrote:  "...by the time of the Second Coming the Church and kingdom will be a totally self-sufficient and independent economic and political entity"

1.  That phrasing, "by the time of", implied to me that it needed to happen before the Second Coming or in order to usher in the Second Coming.  But my understanding, as well as the scripture citations you offered, instead imply that the end of all nations is something that occurs as a result of the Second Coming, right?  Or am I missing something?

2.  Your terminology of an "independent political entity" is also what confused me.  I understand the Kingdom of God will consume the entire world and put an end to all other political boundaries but I didn't associate that with the church being an "independent political entity".

3.  You stated that the prophecies are that the Church would be a totally self-sufficient economic entity.  Hasn't it already achieved that?  If not, what does that look like?  I'm not seeing that in the scriptures you reference.

4.  Maybe your answer to #3 will resolve this but I'm curious how you see the purchase of the apartment complex as achieving the ends that you describe.

How is it possible that the Church is a totally independent provider of security and the necessities of life for its members at this time? The Church may not be in debt, and it may have some money and investments put aside, but there's no way it's now capable of providing to all its members jobs, financial security, protection from enemies, housing, health care, education, food, clothing, etc..

Are you not aware of the fact that the scriptures teach us the world is going be in a state of total chaos before the Second Coming? The entire world (except for the Latter-day Saints) will be caught up in endless wars, unprecedented cataclysmic natural destructions will abound, economic disaster will be a worldwide phenomenon. There will be draughts, famines and pestilence, and the human institutions men have heretofore relied upon for safety and security will utterly collapse. Social Security, Medicare, Medicade, Welfare agency's, etc. will go bankrupt and be no more, and this because the world will have ripened in iniquity. 

It's prophesied that in the midst of this horrific chaos the Latter-day Saints are going to band together beneath the banner of Zion, and under the protective hand of divine providence the kingdom will be able to provide it's members with the necessities of life and a measure of peace and safety in the midst of such great tribulations and divine judgments. .And in order for the Church and kingdom of God to be able to successfully govern the world during the millennium, it will require a lot of practice and PREPARATION prior to the Second Coming in order to to be able to hit the ground running after the Lord returns.

The revealed Latter-day scriptures testify that the only people who are not going to be swept up in the great final wars will be the Latter-day Saints. In order for this blessing to be bestowed, the saints are going to have largely be separated from the rest of warring society by fleeing to Zion and its stakes; and, of necessity, in order for this to occur the Church is going to have to oversee a system of economic order that will be able to provide life's necessities its faithful members.

To imagine the Church isn't going to do something to make it possible to set up a system that will enable the saints to provide for their own needs by working together in harmony wisdom, especially when every other previous form of human provision will no longer be able to be relied upon, is to imagine a dereliction of duty and gross irresponsibility on the grandest of scales. The Church is going to have to find a way to set up an economic system that will provide for the separated saints or all will eventually perish. When the members are finally called upon to leave their former homes, and gather to Zion for their mutual comfort and protection, they are going to need food, water, clothing, protection from the elements, transportation, fuel, a system to enlighten and educate, etc., or chaos will reign, all will eventually die, and a kingdom that was set up to supposedly help a people prepare to meet the Lord in righteousness will have failed. All of this is nothing if not pure common sense. Or are you one of those people who believe the prophesied great tribulations of the last days are alarmist fantasies that will never actually take place?

Edited by Bobbieaware
10 hours ago, Bobbieaware said:

How is it possible that the Church is a totally independent provider of security and the necessities of life for its members at this time? The Church may not be in debt, and it may have some money and investments put aside, but there's no way it's now capable of providing to all its members jobs, financial security, protection from enemies, housing, health care, education, food, clothing, etc..

Are you not aware of the fact that the scriptures teach us the world is going be in a state of total chaos before the Second Coming? The entire world (except for the Latter-day Saints) will be caught up in endless wars, unprecedented cataclysmic natural destructions will abound, economic disaster will be a worldwide phenomenon. There will be draughts, famines and pestilence, and the human institutions men have heretofore relied upon for safety and security will utterly collapse. Social Security, Medicare, Medicade, Welfare agency's, etc. will go bankrupt and be no more, and this because the world will have ripened in iniquity. 

It's prophesied that in the midst of this horrific chaos the Latter-day Saints are going to band together beneath the banner of Zion, and under the protective hand of divine providence the kingdom will be able to provide it's members with the necessities of life and a measure of peace and safety in the midst of such great tribulations and divine judgments. .And in order for the Church and kingdom of God to be able to successfully govern the world during the millennium, it will require a lot of practice and PREPARATION prior to the Second Coming in order to to be able to hit the ground running after the Lord returns.

The revealed Latter-day scriptures testify that the only people who are not going to be swept up in the great final wars will be the Latter-day Saints. In order for this blessing to be bestowed, the saints are going to have largely be separated from the rest of warring society by fleeing to Zion and its stakes; and, of necessity, in order for this to occur the Church is going to have to oversee a system of economic order that will be able to provide life's necessities its faithful members.

To imagine the Church isn't going to do something to make it possible to set up a system that will enable the saints to provide for their own needs by working together in harmony wisdom, especially when every other previous form of human provision will no longer be able to be relied upon, is to imagine a dereliction of duty and gross irresponsibility on the grandest of scales. The Church is going to have to find a way to set up an economic system that will provide for the separated saints or all will eventually perish. When the members are finally called upon to leave their former homes, and gather to Zion for their mutual comfort and protection, they are going to need food, water, clothing, protection from the elements, transportation, fuel, a system to enlighten and educate, etc., or chaos will reign, all will eventually die, and a kingdom that was set up to supposedly help a people prepare to meet the Lord in righteousness will have failed. All of this is nothing if not pure common sense. Or are you one of those people who believe the prophesied great tribulations of the last days are alarmist fantasies that will never actually take place?

Fascinating point of view.

Personally, I think that you're reading some things into those scriptures and prophecies that aren't really there but I do find your interpretation to be interesting.

So, then what is your thought with respect to the apartment complex?  Church is buying it to potentially use as housing for dispersed Latter-day Saints to gather at/before the second coming?

If that is the case, we'd expect to see a lot more of these types of investments, right?

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

I was reading some naysayers that because the Church is losing tithe payers to inactivity and so this kind of thing is a good investment and generates money 

Naysayers?

Is there something wrong with that plan?  It's along the lines of what Bobbieaware is saying... create wealth & income to be able to provide for the saints as the world goes downhill.

32 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Naysayers?

Is there something wrong with that plan?  It's along the lines of what Bobbieaware is saying... create wealth & income to be able to provide for the saints as the world goes downhill.

it would imply the church is only after money and somehow circumventing the missionary program, "we'll put on a parade but in reality few will show up to the show"

if it's what you say then sounds good to me! I would think that investing in a Star Wars movie would be more lucrative:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Duncan said:

it would imply the church is only after money and somehow circumventing the missionary program, "we'll put on a parade but in reality few will show up to the show"

if it's what you say then sounds good to me! I would think that investing in a Star Wars movie would be more lucrative:ph34r:

Ha.  I'm not sure that Disney is offering such an investment. :)

I see nothing to indicate that the church is circumventing the missionary program (if that's what someone was implying).  Quite the opposite, except for those occasional publicity blunders.

The church also seems intent on expanding its commercial real estate portfolio.  But we can't really know that as long as the church keeps its financials under wraps.

6 hours ago, Duncan said:

Well the church is in the biz of producing several box office films now, it could happen.

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Anijen said:

What amount (if any) that a non-profit organization may accrue profit before it affects the tax issue? I am very busy any help in making this question less murky would be appreciated.

It is my understanding that these business/investment oriented corporations owned by the Church's are taxed like normal.

Edited by Meadowchik
On 7/28/2016 at 1:18 PM, Anijen said:

What amount (if any) that a non-profit organization may accrue profit before it affects the tax issue? I am very busy any help in making this question less murky would be appreciated.

Pretty much as much as the can as long as it is used for their charitable purpose(s).  On the other hand their commercial ventures are not a part of the non-profit organization but instead are owned by the investment holding company and are subject to income tax just as any commercial venture.

On 7/28/2016 at 2:18 PM, Anijen said:

They can't accrue any profit. Now to be clear they can make money but the money does not go to shareholders or any owners. Non-profits are not technically owned by anyone and all money has to be used for the organization (salaries, operating costs, etc) or given away (charities). Non-profits are not necessarily charities. They can pay large salaries to their employees and make money. It just has to go back into the company.

Charitable non-profits are stricter. Generally no salary can be paid to the trustees, financial disclosure is generally required, they can only do things that are for public benefit, and they get large tax relief.

Non-charitable non-profits run a gamut. I worked for one right after High School and it was basically an office job where our goal was to make money. They can make a profit in terms of income to expenses but they cannot then pay dividends and there is no owner in the background collecting the profit.

The weird thing about non-profits is technically they are unowned. Trustees control it but there is no ownership. You cannot buy or sell a non-profit entity.