rockpond Posted January 6, 2016 Posted January 6, 2016 (edited) In an interview with Gina Colvin on the A Thoughtful Faith podcast, Greg Prince discusses *this* Mormon moment. Here's a link to the podcast page. It's a great podcast -- worth the listen regardless of your opinion on the issues. “I don’t know the way forward yet. I think that it’s going to be a combination of people at the top exercising their inspiration and the people at the bottom exercising their inspiration as well and somehow coming to a comfortable interface in the middle that takes advantage of both sources.” ~~Greg Prince He talks about the new policy. Church growth, activity, and the future. He asked an interesting question: What happens when today's 25 year old eventually becomes a Stake President? Also, he's currently writing a book on the Church and LGBT issues. Should be a fascinating read. Edited January 6, 2016 by rockpond 2
Popular Post Mystery Meat Posted January 6, 2016 Popular Post Posted January 6, 2016 43 minutes ago, rockpond said: He asked an interesting question: What happens when today's 25 year old eventually becomes a Stake President? Based on my experience? It will look very similar to how it currently looks. I am in a singles ward (and have lived in singles wards, both inside and outside of Utah) and I would say something close to 95% of the YSAs I have come in contact with are very supportive of the church's stance on SSM and the new policy. So I don't think the younger generation is going to come in and try to make the Church more gay friendly, at least not in the way that SSM proponents would like. I will take this a step farther and say that that same 95% would rather be members of shrinking church (in terms of numbers) and risk being unpopular in the eyes of the world, then turn their backs on the revealed word of God. Finally, of the remaining 5%...none of them were ever going to be called to be SPs anyway. 5
Scott Lloyd Posted January 6, 2016 Posted January 6, 2016 12 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said: Based on my experience? It will look very similar to how it currently looks. I am in a singles ward (and have lived in singles wards, both inside and outside of Utah) and I would say something close to 95% of the YSAs I have come in contact with are very supportive of the church's stance on SSM and the new policy. So I don't think the younger generation is going to come in and try to make the Church more gay friendly, at least not in the way that SSM proponents would like. I will take this a step farther and say that that same 95% would rather be members of shrinking church (in terms of numbers) and risk being unpopular in the eyes of the world, then turn their backs on the revealed word of God. Finally, of the remaining 5%...none of them were ever going to be called to be SPs anyway. Stake presidents don't tell prophets and apostles what to do. That was clearly demonstrated with the recent episode regarding the ill-fated intent to shorten the meeting block schedule in Boston. 1
Scott Lloyd Posted January 6, 2016 Posted January 6, 2016 Having seen this thread title, I'm going to have that old Drifters/Jay and the Americans song running through my head for the rest of the day.
consiglieri Posted January 6, 2016 Posted January 6, 2016 1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said: Stake presidents don't tell prophets and apostles what to do. God doesn't either, apparently. 1
Mystery Meat Posted January 6, 2016 Posted January 6, 2016 8 minutes ago, consiglieri said: God doesn't either, apparently. Nothing about that is apparent.
consiglieri Posted January 6, 2016 Posted January 6, 2016 Just now, Mystery Meat said: Nothing about that is apparent. How would the LDS Church behave any differently if it weren't led by revelation? 1
Scott Lloyd Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 15 minutes ago, consiglieri said: God doesn't either, apparently. 7 minutes ago, Mystery Meat said: Nothing about that is apparent. It's just more sniping, indicative of consig's "faith journey" [cough, cough, hack, hack]. 1
Scott Lloyd Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 2 hours ago, rockpond said: He asked an interesting question: What happens when today's 25 year old eventually becomes a Stake President? In some areas of the Church, it is not uncommon to call men in their 20s to such high positions, so that day could come sooner than you think. But not with the outcome you are evidently hoping for/anticipating/expecting. And it's a new year, perhaps a good time for another countdown clock check on Dehlin's wishful thinking timeline of 40 years. The clock now stands at 39 years, 1 month, 4 days, 3 hours, 41 minutes and 17 seconds. 1
Scott Lloyd Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 13 minutes ago, consiglieri said: How would the LDS Church behave any differently if it weren't led by revelation? The way the ark steadiers and self-styled "progressives" wish it would, probably. (I like those easy questions.) 2
consiglieri Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 7 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said: It's just more sniping, indicative of consig's "faith journey" [cough, cough, hack, hack]. A faith journey is called a journey because you actually go somewhere. 1
Jeanne Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 Is there any place I can get a transcript of this? Listening doesn't work for me. 1
consiglieri Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 8 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said: The way the ark steadiers and self-styled "progressives" wish it would, probably. (I like those easy questions.) Wrong! The answer is it would look just the same as it does now. Thanks for playing, though. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.
consiglieri Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 Okay, okay, let me try to contribute something of substance here. I listened to the interview with my wife last evening, and enjoyed it very much. I especially resonated with Prince's concluding remarks, including his assertion that the LDS Church, courtesy of the Correlation Committee, is boring the youth out of the Church. 1
Scott Lloyd Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 (edited) 47 minutes ago, consiglieri said: Okay, okay, let me try to contribute something of substance here. I listened to the interview with my wife last evening, and enjoyed it very much. I especially resonated with Prince's concluding remarks, including his assertion that the LDS Church, courtesy of the Correlation Committee, is boring the youth out of the Church. Depends on the youth, I suppose. I covered an event last night in Provo -- the 60th anniversary of the Provo Utah YSA 1st Stake -- at which Elder Ballard spoke. More than 1,000 were in attendance. None seemed bored. My eldest son and those serving with him in the Sweden Stockholm Mission don't seem bored. And there are more young missionaries these days than at any time in history. The youth event of Family Discovery Day at the Church's annual RootsTech family history conference in Salt Lake City held in the Salt Palace is so well-attended that every year they have to turn hundreds away. Did you say you had something of substance to contribute? Edited January 7, 2016 by Scott Lloyd 3
Scott Lloyd Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 20 minutes ago, consiglieri said: A faith journey is called a journey because you actually go somewhere. Those headed in the wrong direction are, by definition, going somewhere. Just not where they need to be. 2
salgare Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said: Having seen this thread title, I'm going to have that old Drifters/Jay and the Americans song running through my head for the rest of the day. holy cow, I thought I was old
Danzo Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 41 minutes ago, consiglieri said: Okay, okay, let me try to contribute something of substance here. I listened to the interview with my wife last evening, and enjoyed it very much. I especially resonated with Prince's concluding remarks, including his assertion that the LDS Church, courtesy of the Correlation Committee, is boring the youth out of the Church. I just had two nephews get called on missions, I don't think they are going because they are bored, but maybe next time I talk to them I'll ask.
Scott Lloyd Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 (edited) 1 hour ago, salgare said: holy cow, I thought I was old The music of the late '50s through the early '70s is the canon; everything that followed is merely counsel or policy. Edited January 7, 2016 by Scott Lloyd 3
salgare Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 21 minutes ago, Danzo said: I just had two nephews get called on missions, I don't think they are going because they are bored, but maybe next time I talk to them I'll ask. And if they do go, it is rumored there is a high rate of depression and early returns. It's almost cruel to send these young innocent individuals out into an internet savvy world ready to tear them up.
Danzo Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 2 minutes ago, salgare said: And if they do go, it is rumored there is a high rate of depression and early returns. It's almost cruel to send these young innocent individuals out into an internet savvy world ready to tear them up. I think they will survive. (I just had another nephew return and he seems just fine), Another nephew is almost done with his mission had (You might find this amazing!) he doesn't seem to be returning early! (Unbelievable isn't it?) As I recall, on my mission there were plenty of people who tried to "tear me up". For most people (In my experience) a mission is where you encounter the most anti Mormon activity, as well as other trials. I always tell people there was a time in my life where I viewed pornography every day, tasted liquor often, often spent time with prostitutes and pimps and talked to anti Mormons. My Mission!
Scott Lloyd Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 (edited) 12 minutes ago, salgare said: And if they do go, it is rumored there is a high rate of depression and early returns. It's almost cruel to send these young innocent individuals out into an internet savvy world ready to tear them up. Irresponsible rumor-mongering. Our son has been out just since September, and already his letters reflect a growth and maturity level I scarcely would have considered possible at this point. I've been astounded. Edited January 7, 2016 by Scott Lloyd 2
salgare Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said: Irresponsible rumor-mongering. I'm just glad my sons were back well before all this took off. Having a door slammed in your face is one thing, being taught in a shocking and abusive manner by those you were sent to teach is yet another.
Scott Lloyd Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 3 minutes ago, salgare said: I'm just glad my sons were back well before all this took off. Having a door slammed in your face is one thing, being taught in a shocking and abusive manner by those you were sent to teach is yet another. I think you are projecting.
Recommended Posts