Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Dehlin, Reel, And Other Do-Gooders Asking For Money To Do...good.


Recommended Posts

Posted

I have been on record for criticizing Bro. Reel for conducting a for-profit ministry, and then doubly critical when he pretended to not understand the distinction between a for-profit business and a non-profit business.   But then he has qualified as a non-profit.

 

The distinction is really silly, as non-profits tend to simply zero out their revenue by paying salaries.  I doubt Bill gets more than a few bucks a month out of the business.  IF this is his sole means of support whatever reservations I had about donations would have quadrupled.  

 

The church employs lawyers, accountants, bureaucrats just like a casino or the United Way.  Judas kept the purse.  Acts documents contributions and the handling of money.  So, why not.

For the record as Bob has brought it up and I am very comfortable with being financially transparent.   I work for a family owned business in St. George Utah "Family Pawn" as the manager of one of their shops.  (Stop in sometime and say hi).  I work 6 days a week and about 60 hours a week.  My podcasting is in my off time and has only brought in $2,513 in 2015 to date.   ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted

Dehlin, Reel, etc. the slippery slope into hell. It starts out innocent but then pride kicks in and one become quite certain they are right and the church is wrong. Then they start applauding fallen Mormons and taking their sides more frequently. Then slowly, they come up against in arms of the main principles of the church (such as women and the priesthood, racism, homosexuality, etc) and then its war. On top of this they still want to voice opposition and BE HEARD and get money to pay for their squackings. Ah...the slippery slope into hell.

I feel warmer already.

Posted

I can see your beef with his podcasts and the issues discussed there (though I don't share it). But that's entirely different from the work he does within the church. At the meetings I've been to he never mentions his podcast or offers any products - except maybe to say that Bushman's RSR is a good general source or that Hales' polygamy series is the most complete.

Thanks my friend.  I have done numerous firesides in Canada, SLC, Las Vegas, Indiana and Ohio, and St./ George.  I never asked for a cent and spent my own money to get to most of these places.  But hey who wants to let facts stand in the way of a good debate.  

Posted

What beefs?  In the past, months ago, I criticized him on a number of substantive fronts but that was some time ago and I had to stop as he kept reporting my posts and I was on the verge of being evicted.  He's different in his podcasts than he is as a board poster.  Have I criticized his podcasts here?  No.  I think they are entertaining and useful.

that's probably the nicest thing you have ever said to me.... the cockles of my heart warmed and not just because I am on a slippery slope to hell

Posted

I gotta just point out... this is two threads started on Bill Reel in as many days.  I guess that means Bill is making quite an impact.  Good for him!

 

He's obviously not a seasoned broadcasting professional but he has produced some great work.  Thoughtful, insightful, often inspiring.

 

Keep it up DBMormon!  Nice to see you getting more publicity here.

Thank you.

Posted

Bill,

I am always hesitant to send people to listen to your podcasts. I fear they may go to find an answer to one item, but then would be introduced to many others which might be detrimental to their faith.

Posted

I don't know who Bill Reel is and why the kerfuffle is about him lately, is he ICE-T's rapper cousin or something?

No, he is just the host of the coolest LDS podcast ever - http://mormondiscussionpodcast.org(just interviewed D Michael Quinn and it was awesome)

Posted (edited)

Folks like Bill worry me more than anyone. Let me explain why. First- they are in a high leadership position with an exacting stewardship. Second- they have established their voice to a large audience. Third- they have questioned the validity of the prophets.

Now, when you combine those three it sets for a big prideful downfall into apostacy. Not only that but they drag so many with them to also question the prophets. If he really is a bishop, he has no business questioning the authority of the church on important issues let alone posting his voice all over the world as a voice of questioning dissent. There is a proper way to question the church and it's history and beliefs. His method is like a wolf set out to devour lost sheep. I am sorry if I am blunt but I have seen this before and it doesn't end well.

I was released as Bishop more than two years ago... you have to let it go kid.  I teach 13 and 14 year olds now that women have priesthood power and authority and none of them listen... relax

Edited by DBMormon
Posted

I think Bill is just having a little fun, and if he snares the sanctimonious he his having more fun. Listen to his podcasts before judgment. He is different there. I think his written output is terrible and doesn't do him justice. I have been guilty of confusing his lack of grammatical skill with lack of ability.

Thanks again Bob

Posted

He's evil, duh. :)

lol

Posted

CFR that Bill Reel has questioned the validity of the prophets or that he has questioned the authority of the church.

 

Which of Bill's podcasts have you listened to in their entirety?

Hoping to see an answer to this as I read along and catch up.

Posted

If you are going to continue making accusations against Bill you need to provide some support.  Quote what he has said that is incorrect otherwise what you are doing is libel, not a "voice of warning".

its okay... there's no such thing as bad publicity

Posted

If I can get legally either/both for free it doesn't bother me. The Church doesn't charge me money for going to their website, or sing the songs in their hymnal. Though unfortunately for other peoples ears I don't have a good singing voice. :lol:

And all of my episodes are free to the public at some point.  Those who donate only get to listen sooner and know they are supporting the podcast

Posted

WEll, we do know he has publicly questioned every point in his podcasts and posts on these boards here. Its no debatable. We all know where he stands on certain issues like women and the priesthood, the BoM, the LGBT movement, etc..

Where do I stand on Women in the PH?

Where do I stand on the Book of Mormon?

Where do I stand on LGBT issues?

 

I hope you have the guts to tell me what I believe rather than just throw out there that you do.

Posted

I have you the CFR you asked for with a direct link. Your second question is not a CAR but I will answer it anyway. I have listened to several of his podcasts. The last one I listened to was his interview with Quinn.

What I find of interest Ius that you never hear him with a positive endorsement for the church and it's current teachings. Why do you think that is?

ooooohhhhh   what you don't hear is the only evidence you have..... I am scared of the power you wield.  Sounds like you may have your own seer stone.

Posted

I heard from a reliable source that Bill spoiled the end of Walking Dead on his podcast, without warning! I also heard from a reliable source that he often parks his car too close to the line, therefore making it harder to park in the spot next to him!

And he has the gall to ask for donations!

[head down in embarrassment] : its true, it's true

Posted

I heard that at a Ward Dinner, he placed the jello-salad prepared by the Relief Society President, on the desserts table instead of the main dish table.

Now that is too much.  I never did that!

Posted

Bill,

I am always hesitant to send people to listen to your podcasts. I fear they may go to find an answer to one item, but then would be introduced to many others which might be detrimental to their faith.

Like FairMormon. weird......    My podcast is more for those in full fledged crisis or seriously aware of the deeper issues and seeking to not be alone while they go through it.  It also works to keep people in and moving forward.  I would not recommend my podcast generally to an orthodox member though many episodes would be beneficial 

Posted (edited)

Hoping to see an answer to this as I read along and catch up.

Perhaps not the "validity", but the comparison here of the Church with an abusive father is troubling:

http://www.wheatandtares.org/17936/does-the-church-need-an-intervention/

I am not sure how an organization that as a whole engages in the level of abuse described here, even if it was meant figuratively---which given the examples given seems unlikely---could maintain a valid spiritual, priesthood authority given what the scriptures and leadership have taught about such behaviour, but perhaps Bro. Reel sees it differently and believes a father who engages in physical abuse of his children can continue in authoritative spiritual leadership of them.

Edited by calmoriah
Posted

Perhaps not the "validity", but the comparison here of the Church with an abusive father is troubling:

http://www.wheatandtares.org/17936/does-the-church-need-an-intervention/

I truly feel that I and many feel this way in our relationship with the Church.  Does that mean I love him any less?  nope  Does this mean he is not my "true dad" nope.  So be troubled all you want just don't invalidate others experience simply because it is not yours... that would be troubling as well

Posted

Perhaps not the "validity", but the comparison here of the Church with an abusive father is troubling:http://www.wheatandtares.org/17936/does-the-church-need-an-intervention/

I am not sure how an organization that as a whole engages in the level of abuse described here, even if it was meant figuratively---which given the examples given seems unlikely---could maintain a valid spiritual, priesthood authority given what the scriptures and leadership have taught about such behaviour, but perhaps Bro. Reel sees it differently and believes a father who engages in physical abuse of his children can continue in authoritative spiritual leadership of them.

Wasn't going to comment on this thread topic, but wow!
Posted (edited)

But what do you believe in regards to the priesthood authority?

After all, there is D&C 121:36-37.

How can an abusive father lay any righteous, valid claim to priesthood authority?

Edited by calmoriah
Posted (edited)

But what do you believe in regards to the priesthood authority?

After all, there is D&C 121:36-37.

How can an abusive father lay any righteous, valid claim to priesthood authority?

Are you seriously unaware of D&C 1

 

 24 Behold, I am God and have spoken it; thesecommandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of theirlanguage, that they might come to understanding.

 25 And inasmuch as they erred it might be made known;

 26 And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might beinstructed;

 27 And inasmuch as they sinned they might be chastened, that they might repent;

 28 And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receiveknowledge from time to time.

 

God fully acknowledges his servants are a mixed bag of good and bad like the rest of us and they will error and need to repent.  Calmoriah - seriously?  Let's not do this as I don't have time or desire to debate.  All I am saying is the Church's leaders and its teachings at times have offended and harmed some and I empathize with those who have been hurt.  Are you really going to argue that no one is harmed by any church teaching that missed the mark?  Or that one who feels harmed could not still love the Church?

Edited by DBMormon
Posted (edited)

Are you seriously unaware of D&C 1

24 Behold, I am God and have spoken it; thesecommandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of theirlanguage, that they might come to understanding.

25 And inasmuch as they erred it might be made known;

26 And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might beinstructed;

27 And inasmuch as they sinned they might be chastened, that they might repent;

28 And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receiveknowledge from time to time.

God fully acknowledges his servants are a mixed bag of good and bad like the rest of us and they will error and need to repent. Calmoriah - seriously? Let's not do this as I don't have time or desire to debate. All I am saying is the Church's leaders and its teachings at times have offended and harmed some and I empathize with those who have been hurt. Are you really going to argue that no one is harmed by any church teaching that missed the mark? Or that one who feels harmed could not still love the Church?

Your analogy was not of individuals, but of the Church as a whole. The Church is the abusive father in your analogy.

I ask again, do you see an abusive father being able to hold on to priesthood authority given his abusing of his children?

Edited by calmoriah
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...