All Units To Have Sacrement Meeting First?

tonie

The quote function doesn't seem to be working for me....

I don't understand the statement about this not working in buildings that are shared by more than one ward.  Sharing a building is common in my state (and I thought it was pretty much everywhere in the states), and this is a common practice.

The ward I am in now shares the building with two other wards.  Each ward starts their block with sacrament meeting.  The first at 9:00, the second at 11:00, and the last at 1:00.  Each ward then continues their block with the rest of their meetings also in the same order....Sunday school followed by RS/Priesthood meetings.  It was the same in the last stake I was in.  Works smoothly and well.

I've always been in a building with 2-3 wards. They have worked similar to what Raingirl stated though times have been a little different.

The only building that might have been different was one I visited with 6 wards. They cut meetings short by 15 minutes, but may have also flipped half the meetings. I only visited once so I don't know.

So in most buildings it is easily doable.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard that starting in July all units will have sacrement meeting first.

I can confirm this.  We were involved in Ward Council training at our Stake this past Sunday.  During the course of the training, segments of a video were played.  One of the recommendations made by Elder Nelson on behalf of the Quorum of the 12 apostles was for all Wards and Branches to hold Sacrament meeting first.  We had our training at 7 AM--can you say "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed?!"  The Sacrament first recommendation was also reported here.

I can also confirm, as reported in the Tribune article, that there was an emphasis on making sure women have more say in the planning.  My wife, who was sitting next to me, was thrilled.

Edited by Okrahomer

I can confirm this.  We were involved in Ward Council training at our Stake this past Sunday.  During the course of the training, segments of a video were played.  One of the recommendations made by Elder Nelson on behalf of the Quorum of the 12 apostles was for all Wards and Branches to hold Sacrament meeting first.  We had our training at 7 AM--can you say "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed?!" 

As you stated, sacrament meeting being held first is a recommendation made by the Twelve.  It's still up to local leadership to implement.  If for any reason it isn't possible it can still be held last.  There is a branch in my stake that, because of scheduling conflicts with the meeting space, will need to continue to hold sacrament meeting last.  All other units will make the switch if they haven't already.

Also, no date was given by the Twelve in the training for this to be implemented.  "By July" was not mentioned.

As you stated, sacrament meeting being held first is a recommendation made by the Twelve.  It's still up to local leadership to implement.  If for any reason it isn't possible it can still be held last.  There is a branch in my stake that, because of scheduling conflicts with the meeting space, will need to continue to hold sacrament meeting last.  All other units will make the switch if they haven't already.

Also, no date was given by the Twelve in the training for this to be implemented.  "By July" was not mentioned.

Agreed.  I didn't hear anything but a recommendation--and nothing about "implementing" it by a certain date.

We have 4 wards meeting in our building. Two in the morning starting at 9am and 9.30 am and then two wards in the afternoon starting at 1pm and 1.30pm. The wards starting on the half hour have Sacrament first the others start with Priesthood and RS. There is no way possible we could have all four wards start with Sacrament. We don't have enough classrooms for all to be holding classes at the same time either!!

I am from the old school of Sacrament Meeting in the Evenings..we would go home have dinner and then return to church.  At the time I thought pooey...but now I wonder if my sacrament meetings would have been more special..and separate from all the rest.   Interesting.

I honestly didn't know there were still wards that had sacrament meeting last.  The last time I was in a ward that did it that way was back in VA in the early to mid 90s.

My observation has been that wards that meet in the morning (start 9 am) are more likely to hold sacrament meeting last.  The idea being that fewer people will come in late that way.

My observation has been that wards that meet in the morning (start 9 am) are more likely to hold sacrament meeting last.  The idea being that fewer people will come in late that way.

I've only been in two wards that held sacrament meeting last, and both of them began in the afternoon (both were student wards).  Doesn't mean you are wrong though.

I've only been in two wards that held sacrament meeting last, and both of them began in the afternoon (both were student wards).  Doesn't mean you are wrong though.

I've attended an afternoon ward that held sacrament meeting last as well.  That's why I qualified my statement with "more likely."  

At least every other week in this ward either my wife or myself would have to take one of our boys home.  He was 1-1/2 or so and it was nap time.  Instead of getting sleepy being tired would make him very irritable.  Even taking him out in the foyer didn't work because he'd just yell.  Take him home and put him in his bed and he'd go right to sleep.  Afternoon sacrament meeting definitely didn't work for us at the time.

I've attended an afternoon ward that held sacrament meeting last as well.  That's why I qualified my statement with "more likely."  

At least every other week in this ward either my wife or myself would have to take one of our boys home.  He was 1-1/2 or so and it was nap time.  Instead of getting sleepy being tired would make him very irritable.  Even taking him out in the foyer didn't work because he'd just yell.  Take him home and put him in his bed and he'd go right to sleep.  Afternoon sacrament meeting definitely didn't work for us at the time.

I used to be a staunch defender of sacrament meeting last. Almost every ward I have been in did it that way. However, I have changed my tune. I think having it first will help with the increased focus on reverence before and during the meeting.

It's very hard.  Our sacrament meeting starts at 1 right now (we will go back to 9 in Jan.  Can't wait!!) and it's a killer on the kids.  I have a two year old and a 10 month old and sacrament is usually the worst part of my sunday.