Working On Sundays

Dion

I sell archery supplies at Gun Shows on a regular basis. This means I work almost every Sunday and do not get to meetings. Is there anyone else who works at weekend trade shows? How do you deal with this problem?

set up your tent, with a sign that says what time you will return, and then go to your meetings.   Start a online selling service to replace attending Sunday shows (or maybe just morning sunday shows).

If your employment requires it then make sure you study and pray one your own.  There are many who must work.  A few examples;  Livestock producers,  Police and Fire workers and professional sports players.

I sell archery supplies at Gun Shows on a regular basis. This means I work almost every Sunday and do not get to meetings. Is there anyone else who works at weekend trade shows? How do you deal with this problem?

When it is absolutely essential, as it was for me some months last year, I worked twelve hour days on Sundays.  Never got to Church.  One lady whom I home taught a couple of years ago (a single mom) had to work at the hospital on some Sundays.  It was essential to the survival of the family, and no one found fault with her.  I am very glad that the Church does not take a condemnatory approach to such realities.

This also jibes with the LDS sabbath services being held on Saturdays in Israel.  Mormons are nothing if not practical and realistic.

Edited by Robert F. Smith

Hello Dion, you might consider talking to your Bishop about having the Sacrament brought into your home.  This will assist you to fulfill the renewal of covenants.  

As an aside, working in the Middle East we hold church on Fridays because that is the day Muslims have their most significant, weekly prayer.  The Sabbath is more about our heart and our desires than the actual day of the week. 

Find a Jew or Seventh-Day Adventist who could mind the store while you are at your meetings.

I like this suggestion... when we were renovating our chapel, the Seventh-Day Adventist Church graciously allowed us to use their chapel on Sundays.

And getting someone to assist would only have to be for the morning or afternoon, depending on the time of meeting.

GG

Find a Jew or Seventh-Day Adventist who could mind the store while you are at your meetings.

If gun show are like craft shows they will be in different cities every weekend, how is he going to find a person in an unfamiliar place every weekend?  I would think a combination of Camoriah and Storm Riders suggestions would work out better.

The most important thing is not to feel bad - don't be discouraged or feel unworthy or any of the negative feelings that one might have. Overcoming those feelings is the challenge in your situation - yes the Sabbath day is holy but you and your family are more important than the Sabbath - your work as a bread winner for your family is of far greater worth than the meetings you don't attend. The Sabbath was created for man and not man for the Sabbath and the atonement covers everything even your current challenge - the Lord wants us to be positive in every situation and your relationship with Him is more important than the teachings of man about what he wants and expects from you. The best thing is to go straight to the source and he will guide you and make a way - use your Sunday work to serve the Lord, continue to pray and read the scriptures and to have a positive mental attitude - by doing this you will access the power of the atonement and the Lord will comfort you. Don't listen to the nay sayers and the scoffers and mockers and slanderers among the saints who are puffed up: they have their reward. The Lord will make a way - trust Him, believe Him and don't be discouraged.