Seriously No Politics ×

I Like You Guys Better

LOSTONE

Oh my, my, my, if I ever day to say such a thing out loud around my family or non-mormon friends, the hostile reactions I would get. Boom and bang, out I go, lol. But actually, I do like my Mormon friends and Mormons in general more than I like other people, including my friends from my church and other Christian friends. You guys seem to be more better on several key levels that I find welcoming and comforting. I would of never expected this when I first started to explore the LDS / Mormon last year. I am pleasantly surprised and happy. To bad my family and other friends can not see what I see or be more like you guys. I think life would be alot better if they were. With all do respect and love to them, I like you guys better. Oh no...the donut shop is opening up, gotta go. Just wanted to share something nice here today. Bye and best to all. :acute:

I'm too new to the forum to be able to do 'like's, I guess.  But, I'll "like" this.

I converted to the Church before meeting my ward family (i.e. took all discussions without going to church even once). I will say I appreciate my church family for keeping the Spirit and helping me grow.

Oh my, my, my, if I ever day to say such a thing out loud around my family or non-mormon friends, the hostile reactions I would get. Boom and bang, out I go, lol. But actually, I do like my Mormon friends and Mormons in general more than I like other people, including my friends from my church and other Christian friends. You guys seem to be more better on several key levels that I find welcoming and comforting. I would of never expected this when I first started to explore the LDS / Mormon last year. I am pleasantly surprised and happy. To bad my family and other friends can not see what I see or be more like you guys. I think life would be alot better if they were. With all do respect and love to them, I like you guys better. Oh no...the donut shop is opening up, gotta go. Just wanted to share something nice here today. Bye and best to all. :acute:

The doctrines and teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints tend to have a mellowing affect on the minds and emotions of the Church's loyal believers, because the God of the LDS Church is powerfully presented as a Being who is truly fair-minded, merciful, compassionate, kind, wise and very loving. Because the Latter-day Saints believe in this most wonderful and admirable God -- a God truly worthy of our deepest love, worship, reverence and adoration -- such belief tends to spill over into the hearts and minds of the LDS believers because they love and admire their God so much that they want to be like Him.

It's more difficult being positive and genuinely friendly toward others when one believes in a God who is so callus and lacking in empathy that he, seemingly without a second thought, can send the majority of the human race into an endless hell of unimaginable torment and suffering without even giving such people a second chance to embrace the Gospel in the spirit world. Even most fallen human beings are more kind and compassionate than that.

Meanwhile, the teachings of the Restored Gospel have a tendency to set the mind and heart free from negative thinking about others and that, in turn, makes it easier to feel and demonstrate kindness and brotherly love to both members and non-members alike.

Edited by teddyaware

The doctrines and teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints tend to have a mellowing affect on the minds and emotions of the Church's loyal believers, because the God of the LDS Church is powerfully presented as a Being who is truly fair-minded, merciful, compassionate, kind, wise and very loving. Because the Latter-day Saints believe in this most wonderful and admirable God -- a God truly worthy of our deepest love, worship, reverence and adoration -- such belief tends to spill over into the hearts and minds of the LDS believers because they love and admire their God so much that they want to be like Him.

It's more difficult being positive and genuinely friendly toward others when one believes in a God who is so callus and lacking in empathy that he, seemingly without a second thought, can send the majority of the human race into an endless hell of unimaginable torment and suffering without even giving such people a second chance to embrace the Gospel in the spirit world. Even most fallen human beings are more kind and compassionate than that.

Meanwhile, the teachings of the Restored Gospel have a tendency to set the mind and heart free from negative thinking about others and that, in turn, makes it easier to feel and demonstrate kindness and brotherly love to both members and non-members alike.

BFP, Are you claiming that the LDS believe in a "different God" than that of "mainstream" Christianity?

BFP, Are you claiming that the LDS believe in a "different God" than that of "mainstream" Christianity?

It is the same God of the Holy Bible. But thanks to the blessings of modern prophets, additional scripture and continuous revelation, the Latter-day Saints know more about Him -- a more complete portrait of the same God, if you will.

Edited by teddyaware

Be sure to give your friends some time and space to get used to your new interest in Mormonism.  I had a few friends react badly at first when I spoke about my conversion.  It wasn't so much that they didn't like Mormons, as much as they feared the sudden change in me.

Years later some of them are my biggest supporters, even about my religion.

Lostone, it makes me wonder if the reasons that they are so likeable is because LDS follow the WoW.  Or IOW, they usually don't drink, smoke, or drink coffee or tea and try to eat a healthy diet.  I wonder if that helps them be more law abiding, mellow, or moral people?  At least they are less likely to do things under the influence. 

They are also expected to look out for one another which helps loads.  And they follow a regime of scripture and prayer usually, and are instructed to do this constantly, along with FHE, which breeds close knit families along with the spirit attending them well. 

These are some reasons why the LDS are very nice even keeled people, I don't know many people that aren't LDS, so really my reasons are probably not very scientific.  And I feel dumb, cuz maybe you weren't after reasons.      

Lostone, it makes me wonder if the reasons that they are so likeable is because LDS follow the WoW.  Or IOW, they usually don't drink, smoke, or drink coffee or tea and try to eat a healthy diet.  I wonder if that helps them be more law abiding, mellow, or moral people?  At least they are less likely to do things under the influence. 

They are also expected to look out for one another which helps loads.  And they follow a regime of scripture and prayer usually, and are instructed to do this constantly, along with FHE, which breeds close knit families along with the spirit attending them well. 

These are some reasons why the LDS are very nice even keeled people, I don't know many people that aren't LDS, so really my reasons are probably not very scientific.  And I feel dumb, cuz maybe you weren't after reasons.      

You are not dumb so please don’t feel that way. What you shared was actually insightful to me and offers me a better understanding of those I like and why. You actual gave good explanations.  I see now that those I like better ( my Mormon friends ) are acting and being/living more like what I desire from those closest to me and what I hope I can become someday. I only wish my family and non-mormon friends could see what I see and feel. I think they would find the joy and peace I seem to have found.

Now if you want to really help me, find out why I am so addicted to donuts. I love donuts of all kind and if there is a sin I will give into so willingly and blindly, it’s donuts. Throw a photo of a donut off a cliff and pray I can fly cause I am so going after it, lol. So sad, but most likely true.

Be sure to give your friends some time and space to get used to your new interest in Mormonism.  I had a few friends react badly at first when I spoke about my conversion.  It wasn't so much that they didn't like Mormons, as much as they feared the sudden change in me.

Years later some of them are my biggest supporters, even about my religion.

Good thought. I never thought about that regarding my friends and family. I will certainty keep that in mind. Thanks.

It is the same God of the Holy Bible. But thanks to the blessings of modern prophets, additional scripture and continuous revelation, the Latter-day Saints know more about Him -- a more complete portrait of the same God, if you will.

I like what you said. It helps me to better understand things.

You are not dumb so please don’t feel that way. What you shared was actually insightful to me and offers me a better understanding of those I like and why. You actual gave good explanations. I see now that those I like better ( my Mormon friends ) are acting and being/living more like what I desire from those closest to me and what I hope I can become someday. I only wish my family and non-mormon friends could see what I see and feel. I think they would find the joy and peace I seem to have found.

Now if you want to really help me, find out why I am so addicted to donuts. I love donuts of all kind and if there is a sin I will give into so willingly and blindly, it’s donuts. Throw a photo of a donut off a cliff and pray I can fly cause I am so going after it, lol. So sad, but most likely true.

Haha! What kind are you addicted to?

I think LDS friendliness can also be a result of being taught constantly that we are all children of God, that we should be working to try and help everyone else be a part of our eternal family as much as we want to be.  And our vision of what that means is very well defined.  We call each other Brother and Sister and are taught to mean it.

We also see mankind in general in an optimistic way, very few are going to end up eternally damned as sons of perdition and only those who really, really deserved it by being the type who would willing to crucify God again knowing he was God.  I think looking at others as generally good people even if they have perhaps temporarily lost their way tends to lead us to like people better…and thus when you know us we are likeable too.

IIRC, there was a poll that demonstrated that LDS had the best view of other faiths even though we were one of the least liked ones…at least until you know us.  Another poll showed we were among the bottom unless one actually knew a Mormon (or rather knew the person and knew s/he was LDS) and then those people rated LDS highly.

God can do miracles I'd you have faith

I trust God. God will show me the way, but I must be willing to accept his path and follow it. This is key to where I go in life. I just feel more comfortable with my Mormon friends than I do with anyone else and thanks to some really great replies on this post, I am discovering why that is. Family is everything to me and I think with Mormons, family is what I feel more and more of. :acute:

I'm sure some Word of Wisdom thread would tell you a thing or two about the evil of donuts. Mormons don't believe in penance, by the Catholic definitions, but we could say it necessary to run a mile after a donut binge to be forgiven of the evil. :)

Having been raised Catholic, I give up donuts for Lent. It is a difficult feat, to say the least. I figure that all the penance I need for the year.

I'm sure some Word of Wisdom thread would tell you a thing or two about the evil of donuts. Mormons don't believe in penance, by the Catholic definitions, but we could say it necessary to run a mile after a donut binge to be forgiven of the evil. :)

Having been raised Catholic, I give up donuts for Lent. It is a difficult feat, to say the least. I figure that all the penance I need for the year.

Oh no.... Donuts can’t be evil. That would not fit in my world of lustful pleasures, lol. :acute:

I am what most Christians would call an ex-Catholic. I know alot of Christians that are called ex-Catholic. I know the Catholic faith all to well. I dare not make a sound when I sneeze. That would be a sin and my super tight perfect shoes would only get tighter for such sins. No disrespect to Catholics, but I grew up as one and have no issues with not being one anymore.

I gave faith that donuts can be calorie free and still taste good...

Well, your faith in that is touching, but I have bad news: faith doesn't always overcome the laws of physics.

Sometimes, yes, but mostly no.

By "sometimes" I am thinking specifically of Christ walking on the surface of the Sea of Galilee. It's do-able, yes, but the parameters are rather extreme.

Unfortunately Mormons are also known for being judgemental and having "holier than thou" attitudes.

It is more of a Utah thing than out in the "mission field". I hear all the time people fleeing Utah in horror for the culture created there.  I wouldn't attribute it to individuals but to the "culture". A person recently did an anthropology study on Mormons and there is little doubt how much influence the Church has in a community where - for example - a subdivision is 80% LDS and there are two church buildings in the same street and everyone watches everyone else. I wouldn't live there if paid to do so.  [sorry, i can't site my source, but I really don't think it arguable].

It is more of a Utah thing than out in the "mission field". I hear all the time people fleeing Utah in horror for the culture created there. I wouldn't attribute it to individuals but to the "culture". A person recently did an anthropology study on Mormons and there is little doubt how much influence the Church has in a community where - for example - a subdivision is 80% LDS and there are two church buildings in the same street and everyone watches everyone else. I wouldn't live there if paid to do so. [sorry, i can't site my source, but I really don't think it arguable].

All my life I've lived in neighborhoods here in Utah, where the 80% figure is actually higher!

Once I remember sitting by a woman on a plane, that lived in Washington State. She said she was so glad to get out of Utah, she grew up there. I didn't understand her antagonist feeling at the time. But I guess it happens. I've never lived anywhere else so can't really compare much.

Funny, I feel must less judged in my current Utah ward than in some wards in the past. The closest to the way I feel accepted was the little Moscow international branch. And we are currently in small town semirural...one new stoplight on the edge of town where the highway goes by and downtown consists of the town center, a dentist office, a dance studio and a small mortuary.

Edited by calmoriah

I have been treated like an outsider all my life by the family I was raised with. I am adopted and my so called siblings all hate me. I am use to being treated less than human without justification. Plus the world in general is sometimes harsh for no apparent reason. So I am not really concern about what ( if any ) look downs or shunning I may get from whom ever.

The only time I really ever felt belonging or loved is at church with church friends ( Mormon friends included ). Funny how this has worked out. Anyways....