Ham Clam Posted December 11, 2014 Posted December 11, 2014 I'm pretty much trying to read, read, read all the good Mormon (history, ect) books our there. Should I simply get 'Teaching of the Prophet Joseph Smith' or is there a better book?
JLHPROF Posted December 11, 2014 Posted December 11, 2014 (edited) I'm pretty much trying to read, read, read all the good Mormon (history, ect) books our there. Should I simply get 'Teaching of the Prophet Joseph Smith' or is there a better book? Words of Joseph Smith by Ehat and Cook is more complete, annotated, and VERY hard to find. Last check online used copies were around $300. Joseph Smith Papers once the full collection is released including discourses will probably end up as the new best choice. EDIT - Missed your comment on TPJS - YES, you should still get that. Barring a better option it is the best standard out there. No attempt for the most part by the editors to cut discourses into soundbytes. Edited December 11, 2014 by JLHPROF 1
cinepro Posted December 11, 2014 Posted December 11, 2014 I'm pretty much trying to read, read, read all the good Mormon (history, ect) books our there. Should I simply get 'Teaching of the Prophet Joseph Smith' or is there a better book? You could do worse. If you're really interested in understanding Joseph Smith, I would probably start with Bushman's "Rough Stone Rolling". If you want a good overview of Church history in general, Arrington's "The Mormon Experience" is good.
Duncan Posted December 11, 2014 Posted December 11, 2014 http://deseretbook.com/Encyclopedia-Joseph-Smiths-Teachings-Donald-Q-Cannon/i/3826202 I own it, quite good! Also read anything by Truman Madsen on Joseph Smith
janderich Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 Words of Joseph Smith by Ehat and Cook is more complete, annotated, and VERY hard to find. Last check online used copies were around $300. Joseph Smith Papers once the full collection is released including discourses will probably end up as the new best choice. EDIT - Missed your comment on TPJS - YES, you should still get that. Barring a better option it is the best standard out there. No attempt for the most part by the editors to cut discourses into soundbytes.There is a Kindle version of Words of the Prophet Joseph Smith. It also includes Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Lectures on Faith, and The History of Joseph Smith, all for $10. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Words-Joseph-Smith-including-Teachings-ebook/dp/B007JPNF92/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418349106&sr=1-1&keywords=words+of+the+prophet+joseph+smith
JLHPROF Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 There is a Kindle version of Words of the Prophet Joseph Smith. It also includes Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Lectures on Faith, and The History of Joseph Smith, all for $10. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Words-Joseph-Smith-including-Teachings-ebook/dp/B007JPNF92/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418349106&sr=1-1&keywords=words+of+the+prophet+joseph+smith Wow...never even considered getting a Kindle before now...but this would make it worth it.
Robert F. Smith Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 You also might want to obtain the 2007 LDS Church manual, Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (586 pages). It is available online at https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/36481_eng.pdf?lang=eng , but you may be able to obtain a paperback copy at a used bookstore or in an LDS Distribution Center. 1
cinepro Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 You also might want to obtain the 2007 LDS Church manual, Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (586 pages). It is available online at https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/36481_eng.pdf?lang=eng , but you may be able to obtain a paperback copy at a used bookstore or in an LDS Distribution Center. I guess it depends on if she wants to know what Joseph Smith taught in the 19th century, or what Joseph would have taught if he were alive today and wore a Brooks Brothers suit while speaking in conference twice a year. 2
mfbukowski Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 Wow...never even considered getting a Kindle before now...but this would make it worth it.I love mine. It's a full android tablet for $100. and you can get cheap books on it- for me its a combo you can't beat
Calm Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 You also might want to obtain the 2007 LDS Church manual, Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (586 pages). It is available online at https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/36481_eng.pdf?lang=eng , but you may be able to obtain a paperback copy at a used bookstore or in an LDS Distribution Center.Or you may be able to get an extra copy in your ward library or check with the executive secretary to see if they stored any excess from that year.
Avatar4321 Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 Words of Joseph Smith by Ehat and Cook is more complete, annotated, and VERY hard to find. Last check online used copies were around $300. Joseph Smith Papers once the full collection is released including discourses will probably end up as the new best choice. EDIT - Missed your comment on TPJS - YES, you should still get that. Barring a better option it is the best standard out there. No attempt for the most part by the editors to cut discourses into soundbytes.I read the words of Joseph Smith and I agree the book is excellent. I can't remember where I put my copy. I didn't realize it was so difficult to find
Bob Crockett Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 The problem I've found with reading the words of the prophet Joseph Smith is that it is hard to credit or give high value to some third-party recollections of what he said which make it into some of these books. There's stenographed sermons, there's personal writings of Joseph Smith, there's writings somebody else has done in the name of Joseph Smith, and then it falls off after that. 1
stemelbow Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 I'm pretty much trying to read, read, read all the good Mormon (history, ect) books our there. Should I simply get 'Teaching of the Prophet Joseph Smith' or is there a better book? Read all the good Mormon history books out there? Yeah, you'll need to read more than one book to accomplish that. And as soon as you read all the good ones available now, there will surely be plenty of more good ones that come out shedding new light and providing different perspectives. Once you catch up on those there will surely again be new ones in the works. For instance the Joseph Smith Papers Project is in the works now, but has released quite a bit to date: http://josephsmithpapers.org/
amertune Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 You can also get the kindle app for free on your PC or on any smartphone/tablet.
Recommended Posts