Seriously No Politics ×

Bishops: Gay Partnerships "have Merit"

Daniel2

I'm not offended by people/institutions learning, growing, and overcoming prejudices.

This is like me as a mormon saying I think apostates are not pure evil and may have some redeeming value in a flowery way.

Again, duh. Nothing is overcome or changed. It just sounds pretty but is pretty meaningless.

This is like me as a mormon saying I think apostates are not pure evil and may have some redeeming value in a flowery way.

Again, duh. Nothing is overcome or changed. It just sounds pretty but is pretty meaningless.

If you saying that represented an actual change in your thinking than I think it is actually significant.

I think it would be a gross exaggeration of what the Synod accomplished to sum it up that the Catholic Church thinks homosexual relationships are peachy keen.  

Pope Francis is more pastoral in his approach - he seeks to lead all to Christ and accepts all people just as they are.  His purpose is to get them into the Church and then begin to teach them, all of them regardless of their predilections or weaknesses, of a more holy walk with Christ.

The problem is that the condemnation of mortal sin is taking a back seat or at least is silenced to a large extent in order to make homosexuals feel more welcome as Catholics.  

I see the conflict, I can acknowledge the need to minister to those who have ceased to come, but will he cause an even greater number of faithful to find alternatives because of his actions.  The conservative, faithful wing of the Catholic Church seems a bit whip lashed by the words and actions of this pope.  If the pope abdicates all pretense for holiness then the CC will be split asunder; however, if he can remain firm in defining sin while still creating a culture of open arms to all there is a chance he will accomplish wonders.  It will be interesting to see how things proceed.

Huh, and here I was thinking homosexuals were depraved moral monsters bereft of,the Light of Christ with no redeeming values whatsoever. I would like to thank the Catholics for their enlightenment on that point. Are they going to tell us next that exercise is good for us?

We'd like to tell you that fruits and veggies are good and that you should eat meat sparingly, but that's already in your word of wisdom ;)

• 1 month later...

As much as to say, "Adulterous sexual relationships have merit."

Probably a lot of adulterers would contend that they do.

As much as to say, "Polygamous sexual relationships have merit."

Probably a lot of polygamists would contend that they do.

As much as to say, "Heterosexual relationships have merit."

Probably a lot of heterosexuals would contend that they do.

As much as to say, "sexual relationships first sealed in the temple have merit."

Probably a lot of Latter-day Saints would contend that they do.

Funny how that works, eh?

What if they're ALL right...?

I wonder if concern over this type of sentiment is what drove the LDS church to clarify and tighten the reigns on regulations for LDS bishops about marriage...

How long until the LDS apostles have a similar meeting behind closed doors, I wonder...?

Never see it happened as Bishop's have less power in the LDS Church than in the Catholic Church. Also one of the most important aspect of the Church is, "one man, one women". If we abandon this we are domed forever. Also Catholic Bishops hold less power than Catholic Bishop's. It is never going to happen.

Please quote specifically where they say this rather than just linking to the whole article.

The bishops said gays had "gifts and qualities" to offer and asked rhetorically if the church was ready to provide them a welcoming place, "accepting and valuing their sexual orientation without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony."

The LDS have said:  "The Church’s doctrinal position is clear: Sexual activity should only occur between a man and a woman who are married. However, that should never be used as justification for unkindness. Jesus Christ, whom we follow, was clear in His condemnation of sexual immorality, but never cruel. His interest was always to lift the individual, never to tear down".

Okay, where is there anything said in the lds.org page about gay relationships?

Here's a direct quote about same-sex couples (those in "gay relationships") from the church's website as linked above:

The Church has advocated for rights for same-sex couples regarding “hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights..."

https://www.lds.org/topics/same-gender-attraction?lang=eng

I know.  But that does not answer Scott's question:

That gay partnerships (i.e. homosexual behavior) have merit? Where have they said that?

I am not saying anything about the answer myself, whether or not they have merit.  I am just asking where it is claimed that this is said anywhere on the site linked to.

I know. But that does not answer Scott's question:

I am not saying anything about the answer myself, whether or not they have merit. I am just asking where it is claimed that this is said anywhere on the site linked to.

The portion I quoted to you demonstrates that the church believes that gay relationships have at least enough merit to be worthy of hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights.

Unless... you believe that the church would advocate for something for which it doesn't believe has any merit...?

Archived