We Are Moving To Utah!

bluebell

My husband just got a job in Utah and they want him to start in about two weeks!  We are currently living in North Dakota so this should be an interesting (but exciting) move.

The job is in Midvale, but we are probably going to try to live in Kaysville or Farmington.  Thankfully, hubby can set his own hours so he won't have to try to make the commute in rush hour traffic at least.

We've been to Utah a lot of times and have a lot of friends there, but no family, and we really don't know the area all that well.  I'm just looking for some general advice on good places to look for something to rent, good neighborhoods/schools in those communities, and whatever else you might want to share.

I'm pretty sure that as soon as the shock wears off, I'm going to be stressed trying to get everything accomplished...

:)

I've lived in the area all my life. Currently live in Kaysville. I would love to be of help, PM if you'd like. ETA: Is there a reason you don't want to live in Midvale or nearby? PM, if you'd like.

Thanks Tacenda! 

We just like the areas north of SLC a little better-they don't seem as crowded or urban (though it's not like I've spent that much time there, so my perception might be off).  Mostly though it's because hubby's best friend lives in Layton and we really want to be near him and his family.  They are going to be doing a side business together so being closer will make that easier.

I hope it's not a huge culture shock. In fact in Farmington they've built a shopping center/movie theatre/restaurants etc. called Farmington Station Park with high tech water fountain shows, free concerts in the summer, ice skating in the winter. Sometimes when I go there I feel like I'm in lala land and definitely feel very worldly. You could say some parts of the area is a sort of, keep up with the Jones's. But very nice people and an excellent school district. If you want since I'm a Sub, I could tell about the schools I've subbed at, I definitely have my favorites!

Bluebell is being modest she is actually getting called into one of the General Women's Auxillary Presidencies, now she will share her knowledge on a global scale!!!! that's why her family is moving to Utah, to cut down on the commute

Why would you curse her like that! That's like me telling you that you're moving to SLC to become the next apostle. It's not very nice, Duncan!!

Bluebell is being modest she is actually getting called into one of the General Women's Auxillary Presidencies, now she will share her knowledge on a global scale!!!! that's why her family is moving to Utah, to cut down on the commute

That is not my idea of a good time!  :mega_shok:

My husband just got a job in Utah and they want him to start in about two weeks!  We are currently living in North Dakota so this should be an interesting (but exciting) move.

The job is in Midvale, but we are probably going to try to live in Kaysville or Farmington.  Thankfully, hubby can set his own hours so he won't have to try to make the commute in rush hour traffic at least.

We've been to Utah a lot of times and have a lot of friends there, but no family, and we really don't know the area all that well.  I'm just looking for some general advice on good places to look for something to rent, good neighborhoods/schools in those communities, and whatever else you might want to share.

I'm pretty sure that as soon as the shock wears off, I'm going to be stressed trying to get everything accomplished...

:)

All my kids and grand kids are now here in Atlanta area, so you want see a post about me moving to Utah, although my daughter-in-law and two grandbabies will be back tonight from Vernal, UT for their annual visit to Ashley family.
  • 2 weeks later...

So there are two of you here in this thread whose username or photo are very familiar...anyone here also on Personality Cafe?

Anyway, bluebell, Kaysville is a very pretty area.  I live very west and very south of SLC.  I have liked it and not liked it.  I'd take Tacenda up on her invitation to message her since she's right there!

I grew up in Bountiful, UT myself.  I have very fond memories of that time. Yet, I don't want to live there as an adult.  It seems to be as much of a bubble as Provo was when I was a student at BYU.  Good people come from bubbles such as these, so don't take me wrong.  I guess I just have had my own struggle coming out of such bubbles (barely, I know, I'm still in UT) and would be careful about if I had the choice of where I grew up.

Just know that UT has it's very own 'Mormon Culture' and your response to it will probably be based on your comfort level in dealing with sheltered people.  They are good people.  Most have strong testimonies.  Most want to live what they believe.  Yet many also struggle to remember the deeply contrasting reality of life and lifestyles outside of Utah.  Kaysville has many very well-to-do areas and sometimes this means people who have become what I think Brigham Young was warning against when he said:  "This will become the great highway of the nations. Kings and emperors and the noble and wise of the earth will visit us here, while the wicked and ungodly will envy us our comfortable homes and possessions....

The worst fear that I have about this people is that they will get rich in this country, forget God and his people, wax fat, and kick themselves out of the Church and go to hell. This people will stand mobbing, robbing, poverty, and all manner of persecution, and be true. But my greater fear for them is that they cannot stand wealth; and yet they have to be tried with riches, for they will become the richest people on this earth." (Brigham Young: The Man and His Work, 4th ed., p.126-129)

Parts of Bountiful, Salt Lake, Draper, South Jordan, Lehi, Saratoga Springs, Herriman, Riverton, Sandy, Lindon, Provo also have higher socioeconomic status. . .it's all relative isn't it.  (And yes, I do happen to live in one of the above mentioned cities lol.)  I am not in the well-to-do areas of said cities, but they are close enough that we feel the 'influence' of it nevertheless.  I am learning that it's true - God loves all His children, rich or poor, and there are good and less worthy individuals in every place.

So, long way of saying, this move will be an adjustment.  I've had several friends who have moved from outside of UT who moved here tell me they don't like it.  Yet I also see that they often wait for their neighbors to reach out to them.  Some neighborhoods are really good at it, others are not.  I believe you get what you give.

Best Wishes.

Thanks Lady_lullaby.  We've actually put a house in Layton under contract, so if all goes well we should be closing around the 23rd. 

I admit i'm nervous about moving to Utah.  I've never had so many people who have lived/grown up in a place warn me against it to such a degree!  But, it is what it is.  We feel like we are going where we are supposed to go, so come what may we're going to have to deal with it.  :pardon:

We have moved 13 times in 13 years, and lived in four different states so far (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and North Dakota).  We are really hoping that Utah can become our home and that we'll be able to put down some roots there.  Moving is always scary though.  Even to places that you end up loving.     

Bluebell there are several transplants in Layton because of Hill Air Force, so hopefully it won't be too Stepfordy, kidding! Also, both my sister and good friend live in Layton, both are TBM, wouldn't it be something if they lived nearby? Of course Layton is a big city, but is a great community.

Just remember what is important: Royal/Navy Blue (BYU)=good, Crimson/Red (UofU)=very, very, bad. Davis county is split about evenly, so you should have no problem finding fellow supporters. If you bring your provincial loyalties along and keep following North Dakota State, that is acceptable, just dont go over to the dark red side.

Dear Bluebell, PLEASE do not take this personally!  But whenever I hear about a LDS moving to Utah, I can't help but feel a little frustration.  

These are my reasons:  For the most part, Utah doesn't need you.  Utah may love you and want you, but they don't need you.  Almost anywhere else does need you.  Almost anywhere else, possibly with the exception of Idaho, needs your strong church service.  They need help!  Also, on the assumption that you follow the vast majority of LDS who vote conservatively, as do I, Utah does not need your vote.  They have plenty already.  Come to my state (Oregon)!  We need your vote badly!  

Again, Bluebell, this is not about you personally because I don't know you.  I wish you much happiness in the "shadows of the everlasting hills".  But we lose so many LDS friends to Utah.  I just found out this week that another family from our ward is moving to Utah.  

Just my own little pet peeve ..... no big deal.   :give_rose:

Dear Bluebell, PLEASE do not take this personally!  But whenever I hear about a LDS moving to Utah, I can't help but feel a little frustration.  

Come to my state (Oregon)!  We need your vote badly!  

Brenda...

As one Oregonian to another, I can appreciate your sentiment... I'm on the coast in Lincoln City... where are you?

GG

Just my own little pet peeve ..... no big deal.   :give_rose:

In Bluebell's case it is the job that drives the move, as it was for us though my husband is not at all unhappy due to being from here.  However, now that our son is married to a very much Utahan girl I don't hold out much hope of leaving the State which I would dearly love to do because I don't do heat.

Dear Bluebell, PLEASE do not take this personally! But whenever I hear about a LDS moving to Utah, I can't help but feel a little frustration.

These are my reasons: For the most part, Utah doesn't need you. Utah may love you and want you, but they don't need you. Almost anywhere else does need you. Almost anywhere else, possibly with the exception of Idaho, needs your strong church service. They need help! Also, on the assumption that you follow the vast majority of LDS who vote conservatively, as do I, Utah does not need your vote. They have plenty already. Come to my state (Oregon)! We need your vote badly!

Again, Bluebell, this is not about you personally because I don't know you. I wish you much happiness in the "shadows of the everlasting hills". But we lose so many LDS friends to Utah. I just found out this week that another family from our ward is moving to Utah.

Just my own little pet peeve ..... no big deal. :give_rose:

I completely understand what you are saying!

But for us, part of the reason we have looked for work in utah is because both my self and my husband (him more than me) have felt that it was where The Lord wanted us. I never EVER thought I would live in utah but we are going where we feel we are being led.

So I guess utah does need us, or we need it, for the foreseeable future. But again, I completely understand where you are coming from and didn't take it personally at all. :)