How Does Your Ward Missionary Dinner System Work?

Duncan

We have 6 missionaries in our ward with 2 of them being the APS who travel and are around but they aren't around. I am looking to revamp the dinner system. I think now it's just a sheet that gets passed around in RS and i know too that the brethen call up the elders and invite them out as well. But I think we need something new here. How does your ward/branch feed the missionaries?

In our ward (we currently have one set of elders and a set of sisters that the other ward and our's share-the other ward also having their own set of elders), we used to just pass around a missionary meal calendar but very lately we have been informed that that is now against mission rules and each ward is to have a meal coordinator who calls and schedules.

I think the thinking is that this is a way to get more less active and part member families involved (and i've seen it work in other wards, but only where the meal coordinator is really gung ho about the calling) and to keep a handful of families from feeding the missionaries over and over again.

Like i said, it's a very new thing, so i have no idea how it's going to work out in this area.

The dinner schedule is a calling in our ward. So it isn't an anonymous binder passed around and everybody knows they are answering to one person. I see it twice every Sunday, it is passed in GD as well as RS (and I hope EQ)...I think it helps that she makes herself and that binder very visible when it is passed.

we used to just pass around a missionary meal calendar but very lately we have been informed that that is now against mission rules and each ward is to have a meal coordinator who calls and schedules.

How is it against the mission rules for your ward to pass around a calendar? Your ward isn't part of the mission.

Edited by ksfisher

We simply pass around a calendar in RS... for a while we tried the one person in charge of calling, but we are now back to passing around the calendar.

We have only one set at a time... it was sisters, then senior couples, and for a while elders (off and on)... we are back to a senior couple.

When it was the elders, I used to make them a dinner and drop it off to them because they couldn't come into my home (single sister) which I laughed at because of my age. But I suppose it's easier just to make one rule. I didn't want to go to the bother of having someone else here, etc., so I just made them a dinner... my enchillada dinner was always popular... I'd make a big pan of enchilladas, Spanish rice, green salad, and a dessert... all in aluminum pans so they didn't have to worry about dishes.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

We simply pass around a calendar in RS... for a while we tried the one person in charge of calling, but we are now back to passing around the calendar.

We have only one set at a time... it was sisters, then senior couples, and for a while elders (off and on)... we are back to a senior couple.

When it was the elders, I used to make them a dinner and drop it off to them because they couldn't come into my home (single sister) which I laughed at because of my age. But I suppose it's easier just to make one rule. I didn't want to go to the bother of having someone else here, etc., so I just made them a dinner... my enchillada dinner was always popular... I'd make a big pan of enchilladas, Spanish rice, green salad, and a dessert... all in aluminum pans so they didn't have to worry about dishes.

GG

drooling...right...now, when I was a missionary in California and people would ask me what i wanted I would alway say chicken enchilladas, because I love them so much!!!

How is it against the mission rules for your ward to pass around a calendar? Your ward isn't part of the mission.

the mission president has forbidden the missionaries from passing around a calendar. He has asked the bishops to use meal coordinators instead.

Regardless of what a bishop might want, the missionaries are going to obey him over any local bishop (which they should) and so that means no meal calendars. Therefore, if we want the missionaries to be fed, we have to have someone in charge of getting it done.

I suppose we could protest by letting the missionaries starve, but the wards are just supporting the mission president instead. :)

When it was the elders, I used to make them a dinner and drop it off to them because they couldn't come into my home (single sister) which I laughed at because of my age. But I suppose it's easier just to make one rule.

GG

You must be in one weird mission area. So what was the magic safe number....three missionaries to counter your charms and prevent an inevitable menage a tois? I have never once had missionaries not come to my home. I always thought the problem was single women jumping one man who showed up without a body guard.

the mission president has forbidden the missionaries from passing around a calendar. He has asked the bishops to use meal coordinators instead.

Regardless of what a bishop might want, the missionaries are going to obey him over any local bishop (which they should) and so that means no meal calendars. Therefore, if we want the missionaries to be fed, we have to have someone in charge of getting it done.

I suppose we could protest by letting the missionaries starve, but the wards are just supporting the mission president instead. :)

We have a coordinator....who sends around a calendar, she probably calls people to remind them. I still don't get the problem.

We have a coordinator....who sends around a calendar, she probably calls people to remind them. I still don't get the problem.

You'd have to contact the mission president to ask him for more details.

He seems to be the one who has the problem with the old practice. :pardon:

You must be in one weird mission area. So what was the magic safe number....three missionaries to counter your charms and prevent an inevitable menage a tois? I have never once had missionaries not come to my home. I always thought the problem was single women jumping one man who showed up without a body guard.

My mission was the same way, unless the sister or brother was older. Once they could be considered a grandparent then the missionaries could be alone with them without breaking any rules.

My mission was the same way, unless the sister or brother was older. Once they could be considered a grandparent then the missionaries could be alone with them without breaking any rules.

You made me laugh Juliann...

That's what I thought bluebell... I was old enough to be their grandmother, so what was the problem? But, alas, they still held by that rule...

GG

drooling...right...now, when I was a missionary in California and people would ask me what i wanted I would alway say chicken enchilladas, because I love them so much!!!

I make a casserole I call "Chicken Ole"... it's essentially chicken enchilladas but done in layers casserole style vs individual enchilladas... that was always a popular dish when I was working and we had a pot luck on special holidays.

GG

I guess I misunderstood what you were writing. I thought you were saying that it was against mission rules for the ward to pass around a calendar. Still, how the ward handles the actual assignments is an internal matter.

I make a casserole I call "Chicken Ole"... it's essentially chicken enchilladas but done in layers casserole style vs individual enchilladas... that was always a popular dish when I was working and we had a pot luck on special holidays.

GG

i'll have Jeeves fire up the Packard and we'll be over in a few!

I guess I misunderstood what you were writing. I thought you were saying that it was against mission rules for the ward to pass around a calendar. Still, how the ward handles the actual assignments is an internal matter.

It is an internal matter, but what's a bishop to do? If the missionaries can't pass around a calendar, and no one in the ward has the responsibility to do so, the missionaries will get not get fed.

A person could just do it without the approval of the bishop, but that's not a great answer either.

So working with the mission president, rather than against him, seems like a good way to go, regardless of whether or not it's an internal matter.

(And to be honest, i wouldn't be surprised if the stake president isn't backing the mission president on this, so it might be completely out of the ward's hands).

So working with the mission president, rather than against him, seems like a good way to go, regardless of whether or not it's an internal matter.

I think we're saying the same thing, just in different ways. The mission president doesn't want the missionaries to pass around a calendar. That's right, it's not the missionaries responsibility to get the assignment fulfilled, it's the ward's. The mission president would like there to be a contact person in the ward, this makes sense and that is how the handbook says things should be done. The contact person for the missionaries in any ward in the church is the ward mission leader. If the ward doesn't have a mission leader then the contact person is the counselor in the bishopric over missionary work or the bishop himself. The bishop may designate another ward member to do the actual list passing.

In most of the wards in our stake the responsibility for getting the meals taken care of falls on the ward mission leader. The ones who are best able to involve other organizations have an easy time. The WML's who try and do it all on there own have a much more difficult time.

I think we're saying the same thing, just in different ways. The mission president doesn't want the missionaries to pass around a calendar. That's right, it's not the missionaries responsibility to get the assignment fulfilled, it's the ward's. The mission president would like there to be a contact person in the ward, this makes sense and that is how the handbook says things should be done. The contact person for the missionaries in any ward in the church is the ward mission leader. If the ward doesn't have a mission leader then the contact person is the counselor in the bishopric over missionary work or the bishop himself. The bishop may designate another ward member to do the actual list passing.

In most of the wards in our stake the responsibility for getting the meals taken care of falls on the ward mission leader. The ones who are best able to involve other organizations have an easy time. The WML's who try and do it all on there own have a much more difficult time.

in our stake, the ward mission leader is not allowed to deal with the meals. The MP wants a separate calling.

It'll be interesting to see how it all works out. :)

But couldn't the coordinator use the meal calendar to begin with and then be responsible for filling up the spaces, passing on the info to the missionaries and then doublechecking a day or two ahead of the appointment to make sure it is a go? Edited by calmoriah

I always thought it was to prevent the possibility of false accusations against a companionship and to overcome the ability of one missionary being more likely to be able to con his companion into doing something wrong (like watching movies, etc) being less with other missionaries not his companion.

Once they could be considered a grandparent then the missionaries could be alone with them without breaking any rules.

One can be a grandparent in one's thirties these days (have a child at 15 who has a child at 15).

It is the same at my Branch just down the road from Garden Girl. The Magic Solution is for the single sister to invite a married couple. We pass a calendar around, plus the Branch Mission Leader's Wife makes sure that the days are all filled up. It is up to the Missionaries to call each family the night before to make sure the family has remembered.

We are *On Record* that if someone fails to do dinner - then they are to call me and I will feed them. It is nothing to grab a hamburger or tuna helper from the cupboard, nuke some frozen veggies and toss a Marie Callandar's envelope mix of Fudge Brownies into a pan and bake it. The brownies are made in a foil pan so that they take that home. Hubby and I really don't need it. OR instead of a 'Helper'- to grab frozen chicken breasts, nuke/then fry them, and nuke an envelope mix of pasta or rice sides with frozen veggies. Never has taken me longer than 30 minutes to "throw together" a meal for them.

I remember once we had a DA, we phoned and phone and phoned and no answer. So we just went over there and they said they gave the wrong phone number and apologized profusely. So they said we could come in and they ordered pizza and like over an hour later it arrived, cold. So we all ate it and thanked them for the pleasant company. Then on sunday the Dinner calendar sister gave us grief because this family gave her grief about us not calling and having to do a dinner last minute, so I was incensed about it for a minute or two. Ah, well