glitterNgold Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 What do you think would happen if the LDS Church stopped its missionary program? What I mean is, what if they proclaimed the gospel by living their lives, being examples, and letting the name of the church do the talking. Assume young men and young women are instead asked to choose a charity of their choice to get involved in like Peace Corps or something. Assume LDS only sponsored service missions. Assume the leadership asked members to be missionaries without using words.What do you think would happen to the church? Would the rough stone stop rolling? Would evil overpower the good forces in the world? What do you think? Thanks!GNGPS- this is not a discussion of why the church would do this. It is a discussion only if what might take place if it happened.
Duncan Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 If the Church stopped sending out missionaries I suspect that the teaching new members would fall onto the members. I think the benfits of serving a mission would be lost, as hard as serving a mission can be you also miss out on the great experiences as well. If statistically, IIRC, the members aren't giving referals now then I don't see much changing in that regards 2
glitterNgold Posted January 17, 2013 Author Posted January 17, 2013 New members could learn about the religion by attending Sunday school and programs like the peace corps can provide a culturally enriching, service oriented experience.
volgadon Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 What do you think would happen if the LDS Church stopped its missionary program? What I mean is, what if they proclaimed the gospel by living their lives, being examples, and letting the name of the church do the talking. Assume young men and young women are instead asked to choose a charity of their choice to get involved in like Peace Corps or something. Assume LDS only sponsored service missions. Assume the leadership asked members to be missionaries without using words.What do you think would happen to the church? Would the rough stone stop rolling? Would evil overpower the good forces in the world?What do you think?Thanks!GNGPS- this is not a discussion of why the church would do this. It is a discussion only if what might take place if it happened.I'm from a country that doesn't have proselyting missionaries, and where the members can't proselyte, either. Your scenario wouldn't do much.
Tacenda Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 (edited) I went visiting teaching last night and the woman we visit (Stake President's wife), said, after my partner gave the VT message on Missionary Work, that it usually takes about 7 LDS people in someone's life before they'll feel ready to join the church. Or along those lines. So in a way that has alot to do with the OP. So those 7 people hopefully or apparently would have made a good impression on the person. Has anyone ever heard this before? I don't know why there is the specific number 7 but that's what she said. In other words, maybe the convert had a few interactions with LDS people and when the missionaries stop by or a regular member offers them a BOM or invites them to church , maybe they would have first needed the number of times with members of the church before they would have felt ready. (Sorry for the many words, to get my point across, btw!) Edited January 17, 2013 by Tacenda 1
Saints Alive Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 We only send out missionaries now because that is what The Lord has commanded us to do. If we stopped sending missionaries out conversions would definitely slow but not stop.
Questing Beast Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 I believe that the quality of young people to lead the church would degrade if we did not have full-time missions. As already mentioned, the experience of a mission is not duplicated by serving in some non-affiliated charity org. The Church could create its own expanded charity organizations to take the place of proselyting missions; those would probably serve an equally enriching experience as a proselyting mission does....
CV75 Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 What do you think would happen if the LDS Church stopped its missionary program?It would mean the Brethren would not be exercising those keys as intended, violating several key instructions given in the Doctrine and Covenants. Since the Lord will not allow anyone to lead the Church astray, the Brethren would have to come to their senses or be replaced. Then things would continue as prophesied.
Questing Beast Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 I am blanking on the reference to the prophecy that the "elders will be called home", i.e. no more full-time missionaries in the world. It's supposed to be an "end times" kind of "sign of the times". It must be in "Mormon Doctrine", by McConkie, but I am not going to look it up: so the "the Brethren" would only have to reference that prophecy if criticized for ending proselyting missions....
Saints Alive Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 I believe that the quality of young people to lead the church would degrade if we did not have full-time missions.Well that explains why the church had much better leadership under Pres. Hinckley than we have now Good to know that a mission is a prerequisite to quality leadership.
glitterNgold Posted January 17, 2013 Author Posted January 17, 2013 I'm not saying LDS stop missionary work altogether. You can still do missionary work without saying anything. Sort like the Catholics?
Tacenda Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 I'm not saying LDS stop missionary work altogether. You can still do missionary work without saying anything. Sort like the Catholics?GNG didn't you go on a mission fairly recently? How did that go? IMO, we should only proselytise to people that aren't Christian just like all the other Christians out there. I never realized how hard it would be for people to leave their church for ours and the repucussions of that until I have come close to leaving my faith, and see the fallout that would have on my family, extended family, friends and neighbors. I think we should only teach those that don't believe Christ is our Saviour. Then others would be more open to our religion. It's as bad as them (EV's) saying we're not Christian. The way the LDS live and behave is a great tool to attract those of other faiths, but to say your wrong even though you're Christian is maybe not helpful.
volgadon Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 GNG didn't you go on a mission fairly recently? How did that go? IMO, we should only proselytise to people that aren't Christian just like all the other Christians out there. I never realized how hard it would be for people to leave their church for ours and the repucussions of that until I have come close to leaving my faith, and see the fallout that would have on my family, extended family, friends and neighbors. I think we should only teach those that don't believe Christ is our Saviour. Then others would be more open to our religion. It's as bad as them (EV's) saying we're not Christian. The way the LDS live and behave is a great tool to attract those of other faiths, but to say your wrong even though you're Christian is maybe not helpful.Tacenda, the repercussions would be there for members of any faith. Our goal is to offer access to the highest level celestial kingdom, that is, to provide what they are lacking in their faith. 2
sheilauk Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 (edited) GNG didn't you go on a mission fairly recently? How did that go? IMO, we should only proselytise to people that aren't Christian just like all the other Christians out there. I never realized how hard it would be for people to leave their church for ours and the repucussions of that until I have come close to leaving my faith, and see the fallout that would have on my family, extended family, friends and neighbors. I think we should only teach those that don't believe Christ is our Saviour. Then others would be more open to our religion. It's as bad as them (EV's) saying we're not Christian. The way the LDS live and behave is a great tool to attract those of other faiths, but to say your wrong even though you're Christian is maybe not helpful.If that were the situation (only prosletysing non Christians) I would probably not be a member as I wAs technically still a member of another Christian church when I converted, though I was totally inactive & unwilling to return as I felt that that church was unsatisfactory (for me, I know others are happy with it & I think it's a good church). But for me, I needed something different, I could go so far as to say something more, & I have found it with LDSs. I think the Church would survive without missionaries but I think we should be loudly proclaiming the Gospel and what we know & have & if we didn't we would have lost something as well as failing to carry out the Lord's instructions. Edited January 17, 2013 by sheilauk 3
Tacenda Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 If that were the situation (only prosletysing non Christians) I would probably not be a member as I wAs technically still a member of another Christian church when I converted, though I was totally inactive & unwilling to return as I felt that that church was unsatisfactory (for me, I know others are happy with it & I think it's a good church). But for me, I needed something different, I could go so far as to say something more, & I have found it with LDSs. I think the Church would survive without missionaries but I think we should be loudly proclaiming the Gospel and what we know & have & if we didn't we would have lost something as well as failing to carry out the Lord's instructions.I hope with all my heart you're right and leave it at that.
Ahab Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 What do you think would happen if the LDS Church stopped its missionary program? What I mean is, what if they proclaimed the gospel by living their lives, being examples, and letting the name of the church do the talking. Assume young men and young women are instead asked to choose a charity of their choice to get involved in like Peace Corps or something. Assume LDS only sponsored service missions. Assume the leadership asked members to be missionaries without using words.What do you think would happen to the church? Would the rough stone stop rolling? Would evil overpower the good forces in the world?What do you think?Thanks!GNGPS- this is not a discussion of why the church would do this. It is a discussion only if what might take place if it happened.Including no texts, like in books or pamphlets? And no sign language, too? Would there be any talking at all? What would people be talking about? The gospel is the good news... all the good news... about everything. It's not just about using the name of Jesus Christ, but all the thoughts and ideas he has and all the actions he would do and advise others to do to be like he is to be able to have joy in their lives.How about this, which would be a bit of a compromise to what I think you're talking about. How about if people didn't use words like faith, or repentance, or the name of Jesus Christ, or God, or the Holy Spirit, or anything like that. Suppose people just talked about "good" things that would help people in their lives, It would still be the gospel, if it was about something good or about how to have something good in our lives. The gospel is a plan for happiness, THE plan of happiness, but we could just call good good while calling evil evil and never having to use any so-called "religous" terms. Faith is just about be sure about something. Repentance is justs when you stop doing a bad thing and do something good, instead. God is the just the most supreme being there is in all of existence... us at the best we can be.Would that be something more like what you'd like to see? I'm already developing the habit of trying to put things in their most simple terms, instead of using "religous" terms, and it seems to work well for most people... a lot less preachy.
rpn Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 Succeeding generations would have a comparatively more difficult time growing into faithful and hardworking people, and good parents. 1
CV75 Posted January 18, 2013 Posted January 18, 2013 I'm not saying LDS stop missionary work altogether. You can still do missionary work without saying anything. Sort like the Catholics?It would not be the same without the keys being exercised. Members can do plenty of "missionarry work" on their own, and be good examples, neighbors, explainers, the salt of teh world, light of the earth, etc. But without called and ordained representatives going forth under the auspices of the First Presidency (with the attendant missionary organization, purpose and message as described in D&C), I think the Church would be running afoul of its charter.
ERayR Posted January 18, 2013 Posted January 18, 2013 GNG didn't you go on a mission fairly recently? How did that go? IMO, we should only proselytise to people that aren't Christian just like all the other Christians out there. I never realized how hard it would be for people to leave their church for ours and the repucussions of that until I have come close to leaving my faith, and see the fallout that would have on my family, extended family, friends and neighbors. I think we should only teach those that don't believe Christ is our Saviour. Then others would be more open to our religion. It's as bad as them (EV's) saying we're not Christian. The way the LDS live and behave is a great tool to attract those of other faiths, but to say your wrong even though you're Christian is maybe not helpful.Everybody is to have a chance to receive the saving ordinances. That can't happen if you limit the scope of missionary work.
ERayR Posted January 18, 2013 Posted January 18, 2013 It has been said that the Church thrives in spite of the missionaries so perhaps it might do better,
bluebell Posted January 18, 2013 Posted January 18, 2013 GNG didn't you go on a mission fairly recently? How did that go? IMO, we should only proselytise to people that aren't Christian just like all the other Christians out there. I never realized how hard it would be for people to leave their church for ours and the repucussions of that until I have come close to leaving my faith, and see the fallout that would have on my family, extended family, friends and neighbors. I think we should only teach those that don't believe Christ is our Saviour. Then others would be more open to our religion. It's as bad as them (EV's) saying we're not Christian. The way the LDS live and behave is a great tool to attract those of other faiths, but to say your wrong even though you're Christian is maybe not helpful.If that were the case, my husband wouldn't be a member, as he was very active Lutheran before he joined the church at 16-the only one in his family to do so. 1
Popular Post Calm Posted January 18, 2013 Popular Post Posted January 18, 2013 Missionary work is letting the Church speak for itself...this is one of many ways it has chosen to speak from its very beginnings. It is a missionary faith, not to do missionary work would not be "speaking for itself" but letting others determine what it should be. 5
Tacenda Posted January 18, 2013 Posted January 18, 2013 If that were the case, my husband wouldn't be a member, as he was very active Lutheran before he joined the church at 16-the only one in his family to do so.When you put it that way. How did his family take it? I'd love to hear his story.
bluebell Posted January 18, 2013 Posted January 18, 2013 When you put it that way. How did his family take it? I'd love to hear his story.Fine.The mother was semi-active catholic and no one else in the family was religious.
canard78 Posted January 18, 2013 Posted January 18, 2013 It would mean the Brethren would not be exercising those keys as intended, violating several key instructions given in the Doctrine and Covenants. Since the Lord will not allow anyone to lead the Church astray, the Brethren would have to come to their senses or be replaced. Then things would continue as prophesied.What about AoF 9? '...He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.'
Recommended Posts