Mormon Culture

What Mormon culture quirks get to you?

1) YAs getting engaged after 2-6 weeks.

2) Jello...yuck!

3) Weird casseroles

4) Mutual (when I was younger...always weird)

I like jello, but I don't like some of the things put in it.

Don't like being called an apostate because I make an aesthetic choice to keep my hair long.

2-6 weeks ! What could possibly go wrong? Now a 2-6 year engagement, that's just asking for trouble !

When the stake High Council was grilling me after my mission, someone told me that getting married in six months was too soon, but six years was too long. That's the only thing I remember from that meeting except that I forgot my biker jacket at the stake center an hour away and had to get it the next time I went up.

2) Jello...yuck!

3) Weird casseroles

The Mormon Uniform. Knee length skirt, short sleeves, the perfect neck line, long straight hair, the big smile. Don't get me wrong, I love the church, but we all look alike.

I can't really complain about number one-i was engaged after knowing the boy for four weeks! Going on 13 years now and no troubles yet. :D

In all honesty, it's a tricky subject to me. I think that sometimes short engagements are just dumb, but on the other hand long engagements don't seem to have a better track record. I have more LDS, married in the temple, friends that were divorced after knowing/dating their spouse for more than a year than i do friends who only knew each other a short time. What's the answer? I have no idea!

I recall reading an article in the Church news a few years back about this guy who was either Mexican or serving in Mexico. Anywho, when he finished his mission his Mission President told him not to wait to get married. He then asked the young elder if any of the sisters missionaries were of interest to him and he said well, there is one that seems nice enough to me, attractive and all. So IIRC, the Mission President brought in this sister and asked what she thought of the elder and she hadn't really given it much thought, long story short the Mission President arranged for these two to get married and they did. She had to cut short her mission to do this. If Calmoriah can find that article I will be grateful!!!

Church news is harder to search, not sure how much is accessible for one thing; will try but you might have better luck asking Scott Lloyd. I don't think he comes in here so PMing him would work best, IMO.

2) Jello...yuck!

3) Weird casseroles

These wouldn't have made my list... but come to think about it, gossip and judgmental members are really the only things that get to me.

I recall reading an article in the Church news a few years back about this guy who was either Mexican or serving in Mexico. Anywho, when he finished his mission his Mission President told him not to wait to get married. He then asked the young elder if any of the sisters missionaries were of interest to him and he said well, there is one that seems nice enough to me, attractive and all. So IIRC, the Mission President brought in this sister and asked what she thought of the elder and she hadn't really given it much thought, long story short the Mission President arranged for these two to get married and they did. She had to cut short her mission to do this. If Calmoriah can find that article I will be grateful!!!

Holy cow that is so freakin weird and awkward!!

certaintly later then 2009 but no later then 2011! I admit it's a needle in cornfield!

If I lived in my old ward, I would just go in to the library and thumb through the church news, but being in Utah, we don't get it.

I will try and figure out some way to search.

Here is the link to Church News archives. If you click on advanced search it allows you to search between dates. :tribal:

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/archives/

Edited by calmoriah

These wouldn't have made my list... but come to think about it, gossip and judgmental members are really the only things that get to me.

That is easy. They have not forgiven therefore in them lies the greater sin. That silly woman who is always gossiping about infidelities and sin? Yeah...... I now pity her instead.

On the marriage line of things: 19 yr olds getting married. This semester has taught me that I have a real prejudice against it. It creeps me out. I can tell myself all the time that there's choice and they can work out just fine and the whole nine. But it still creeps me out.

Also exceptional cases being used as great lessons for marrying young and quick or changing plans last minute to marry young and quick. This probably is in part because of what occurred right before my mention. I started thinking about it a year before I went....no one believed it happened. One dude even chastised me about thinking that far in advance. 6 month prior, some people STILL didn't believe it would happen (I don't know why people saw "marry me" on my forehead all the time). My mom started telling me this story of this woman who was all ready to go and then met the man she was to marry 2 weeks prior and they knew it was meant to be, so she didn't go. "You never know what may come." I mentioned that if i found him, 2 weeks prior, he'd have to wait 18 more months before anything could happen.

Oddly it's only the mix of young AND quick that really bothers me. Quick, but they're 25 and they've had time to mature and figure what they want in life. Okay, go for it, you're old enough to have started seeing how relationships can unravel and that marriage ain't a fantasy dreamland. Young and they've known each other for 4 or so years. Okay, still a little young, there's no rush, but you've had time to know what you want. Go for it. But Young and Quick (and when you're 18-19, 6 months to me is quick, let alone 6 weeks)....eww.

That's my big thing. The other is white shirts on men. They almost always look better in colored shirts. I'm single, let me have my darn eye-candy. Wear a color.

- How we talk about sex/sexual issues

- random belief that republican/conservative ideals somehow makes you more in line with God

- FHE in YSA wards. You aren't my family. I don't need a substitute just because I'm away in college.

- random stupid assumptions, from time to time, about how women ought to be.

- The food at the temple. This may not even be a cultural thing, but I'm airing out my complaints, why not my food choice when I work at the temple. ONE main choice item without meat wouldn't kill. Especially when you have 2-3 meal options. Especially when half the people work are above the age of 60 and should be watching their cholesterol intake anyways.

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams

On the marriage line of things: 19 yr olds getting married. This semester has taught me that I have a real prejudice against it. It creeps me out. I can tell myself all the time that there's choice and they can work out just fine and the whole nine. But it still creeps me out.

Also exceptional cases being used as great lessons for marrying young and quick or changing plans last minute to marry young and quick. This probably is in part because of what occurred right before my mention. I started thinking about it a year before I went....no one believed it happened. One dude even chastised me about thinking that far in advance. 6 month prior, some people STILL didn't believe it would happen (I don't know why people saw "marry me" on my forehead all the time). My mom started telling me this story of this woman who was all ready to go and then met the man she was to marry 2 weeks prior and they knew it was meant to be, so she didn't go. "You never know what may come." I mentioned that if i found him, 2 weeks prior, he'd have to wait 18 more months before anything could happen.

Oddly it's only the mix of young AND quick that really bothers me. Quick, but they're 25 and they've had time to mature and figure what they want in life. Okay, go for it, you're old enough to have started seeing how relationships can unravel and that marriage ain't a fantasy dreamland. Young and they've known each other for 4 or so years. Okay, still a little young, there's no rush, but you've had time to know what you want. Go for it. But Young and Quick (and when you're 18-19, 6 months to me is quick, let alone 6 weeks)....eww.

That's my big thing. The other is white shirts on men. They almost always look better in colored shirts. I'm single, let me have my darn eye-candy. Wear a color.

- How we talk about sex/sexual issues

- random belief that republican/conservative ideals somehow makes you more in line with God

- FHE in YSA wards. You aren't my family. I don't need a substitute just because I'm away in college.

- random stupid assumptions, from time to time, about how women ought to be.

- The food at the temple. This may not even be a cultural thing, but I'm airing out my complaints, why not my food choice when I work at the temple. ONE main choice item without meat wouldn't kill. Especially when you have 2-3 meal options. Especially when half the people work are above the age of 60 and should be watching their cholesterol intake anyways.

With luv,

BD

I agree with everything except the colored shirt thing! I am thinking a spring wedding. Have a friend who does flowers, but he's out sick, that's the only problem!

Edited by Duncan

I agree with everything except the colored shirt thing! I am thinking a spring wedding

Well congrats, duncan! ;)

Seriously though, I'll let you know if your right. Currently, considering my relationship issues, probably not. The man I'm interested in has gone MIA big time for no apparent reason, and I'm not the type to blind myself to when relationships are about to fall apart. So either come spring I will be barely on the mend of a broken heart (known the guy for 5 years, liked him for 3, and have been with him (though not dating because of me or him, depending) for 1.5 years give or take... so it has the making for a killer heartbreak and I've never been in love before) or possibly planning if a miracle ensues.

Well congrats, duncan! ;)

Seriously though, I'll let you know if your right. Currently, considering my relationship issues, probably not. The man I'm interested in has gone MIA big time for no apparent reason, and I'm not the type to blind myself to when relationships are about to fall apart. So either come spring I will be barely on the mend of a broken heart (known the guy for 5 years, liked him for 3, and have been with him (though not dating because of me or him, depending) for 1.5 years give or take... so it has the making for a killer heartbreak and I've never been in love before) or possibly planning if a miracle ensues.

ah, sorry to hear that! Have a friend that I have enjoyed their company but she was dating this man for the last 2.5 years and h is a massive jerk to her so they broke up. I am trying in my own small ways to throw my name in for consideration. Anyways hope things go well!