Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Official Declaration 3


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

" To Whom It May Concern:

On October 7, 2012, at the 182nd Semiannual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the following was presented by President Henry B Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church:

In early October of this year, the First Presidency announced that a revelation had been received by President Thomas S. Monson extending priesthood to all worthy members (i.e. Women) of the Church. President Monson has asked that I advise the conference that after he had received this revelation, which came to him after extended meditation and prayer in the sacred rooms of the holy temple, he presented it to his counselors, who accepted it and approved it. It was then presented to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, who unanimously approved it, and was subsequently presented to all other General Authorities, who likewise approved it unanimously."

Supposing this announcement is made during general conference answer the following:

1. What would your initial reaction be?

2. What would the Church's reaction be (glad acceptance, schism?)

3. With regard to the leadership, what changes would be made and what would the new church look like?

4. Discuss any other salient aspects of such a change.

Edited by Saints Alive
Posted

The Holy Spirit's revelations, the fact God still speaks, is foundation upon which the Church exists. When God speaks we listen and obey. It does not matter the topic of the revelation; we hear, we listen, we seek for confirmation, and we obey. What is difficult about this that causes you problems such that you need to again hear what the Church would do. It does what it always has done; it listens and obeys.

Posted

" To Whom It May Concern:

On October 7, 2012, at the 182nd Semiannual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the following was presented by President Henry B Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church:

In early October of this year, the First Presidency announced that a revelation had been received by President Thomas S. Monson extending priesthood to all worthy members (i.e. Women) of the Church. President Monson has asked that I advise the conference that after he had received this revelation, which came to him after extended meditation and prayer in the sacred rooms of the holy temple, he presented it to his counselors, who accepted it and approved it. It was then presented to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, who unanimously approved it, and was subsequently presented to all other General Authorities, who likewise approved it unanimously."

Supposing this announcement is made during general conference answer the following:

1. What would your initial reaction be?

2. What would the Church's reaction be (glad acceptance, schism?)

3. With regard to the leadership, what changes would be made and what would the new church look like?

4. Discuss any other salient aspects of such a change.

1) Suprise/Excitement

2) Excitement/acceptance

3) I wouldn't necessarily think there would be any changes/ much cuter and prettier

4) I think with a significant change such as that, I would expect individual members of the church would perhaps go through their own personal process of coming to terms/understanding with it.

As I have thought back and reflected on my feelings when I heard the news regarding the revelation on the Priesthood...I just remember smiling and feeling very happy and excited. When I reflect back on the change that was made regarding the status of the office of Presiding Patriarch...I did not have such a feeling. I struggled with accepting the change. I understand the reasoning and rational for the change...but, for me it was a difficult change to accept, I think mainly because when I looked upon the Presiding Patriarch of the Church...that represented to me... in a real way... a literal connection to the Prophet Joseph and Hyrum. To me it just always felt "right" to have a literal descendent of Hyrum within the GA ranks..and of course being sustained as a Prophet, Seer and Revelator. I have struggled with how that could just be taken away or packed away on a shelf stamped with "emeritus" on the box. But, I sustained the Brethren then, and I would sustain the Brethren under this hypothetical.

Posted (edited)

The Holy Spirit's revelations, the fact God still speaks, is foundation upon which the Church exists. When God speaks we listen and obey. It does not matter the topic of the revelation; we hear, we listen, we seek for confirmation, and we obey. What is difficult about this that causes you problems such that you need to again hear what the Church would do. It does what it always has done; it listens and obeys.

That all fine and good... Care to speculate about the practical applications of said revelation?

Edited by Saints Alive
Posted

1) Suprise/Excitement

2) Excitement/acceptance

3) I wouldn't necessarily think there would be any changes/ much cuter and prettier

4) I think with a significant change such as that, I would expect individual members of the church would perhaps go through their own personal process of coming to terms/understanding with it.

As I have thought back and reflected on my feelings when I heard the news regarding the revelation on the Priesthood...I just remember smiling and feeling very happy and excited. When I reflect back on the change that was made regarding the status of the office of Presiding Patriarch...I did not have such a feeling. I struggled with accepting the change. I understand the reasoning and rational for the change...but, for me it was a difficult change to accept, I think mainly because when I looked upon the Presiding Patriarch of the Church...that represented to me... in a real way... a literal connection to the Prophet Joseph and Hyrum. To me it just always felt "right" to have a literal descendent of Hyrum within the GA ranks..and of course being sustained as a Prophet, Seer and Revelator. I have struggled with how that could just be taken away or packed away on a shelf stamped with "emeritus" on the box. But, I sustained the Brethren then, and I would sustain the Brethren under this hypothetical.

I wasn't a member when OD 2 was announced, I wonder how analogous the two examples are? I think some members would have a harder time with this.

Posted

I wasn't a member when OD 2 was announced, I wonder how analogous the two examples are? I think some members would have a harder time with this.

Yes...I suspect you're correct on this. I guess I look at these types of things as my own little personal "Zion's Camp's". I just ask myself this question...."ok, am I going to be the guy this time who becomes arrogant and prideful....and stubborn, or am I going to be the guy who prayerfully seeks confirmation/affirmation that this is God's will, as well as on opportunity for me to add a few more drops of oil in my lamp?"

Of course....always thought I would have been the "nineth" person on the ARK too....so I never say never. That way I can stay a bit more spiritually sharp and more finely tuned....hopefully!

Posted

1. What would your initial reaction be?

Am I on Candid Camera?

I don't know why one would even speculate about this. It would never happen. The roles that both men and women play in this life were set from the begining. I suppose if it really did happen most members would accept it and move on; some would probably leave the church over it. It's hard to imagine what would happen because it simply would not happen.

OD 2 was not so surprising because it was known from the early years of the church that the blacks would someday receive the priesthood.

Posted
1. What would your initial reaction be?

I would probably understand, accept, and commit. However, while there was existing doctrine supporting OD 2 and none against it, there is existing doctrine against OD 3 and none in support of it.

Posted

Personally, that's a level of responsibility that I wouldn't want to have to deal with. I would have to do some soul-searching and prayer in order to feel good about it. I don't know why some women are so concerned with thinking we should have the priesthood. To me it has always been clear that we are the ones who receive the blessings of the priesthood. I remember when I was newly married, I taught the 10-11 year old primary girls. I don't remember what the lesson was about, but one girl said "It isn't fair that only guys get the priesthood and not girls." I didn't even think about what to say to her, I just started talking and ended up saying something like this: "I agree, it isn't fair. The guys get the responsibility (the work) and we get the blessings from it. In my home, if I need a blessing for any reason, my husband is there and can give me one. But if he needs one, he is out of luck until he finds someone in the ward to come help out. I agree, it isn't fair. We are pretty lucky." I have never felt like I was missing anything in not holding the priesthood, and I think that supporting my husband (as long as he supports the Lord) is a privilege and a blessing to me, and in no way makes me inferior to him. It is just the way the family works. I am not less in terms of authority as far as our children are concerned, but sometimes I say "let's ask daddy before we decide," and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I think it's a great way to make sure that our family is more unified than it otherwise would be, if I were butting heads with him trying to make sure I have equal power or whatever.

Posted

5. Thank the heavens my chances of being called as a Bishop are cut in half.

Lol...I gues mine should be duck and cover...or pray that I never marry. That should do the trick too.

Posted

5. Thank the heavens my chances of being called as a Bishop are cut in half.

But the way things stand the chances of any otherwise completly capable female serving as Bishop is 0%

Posted (edited)

i once heard something like this"

the women has a great responsibility. she brings a child into this world-she then raises a child, teaching the child are things necessary. AND to make man equal God gave him the priesthood

Edited by Christian Mormon
Posted

That all fine and good... Care to speculate about the practical applications of said revelation?

No. If and when it happened, I will worry about it then.

Posted

My reaction to this hypothetical would be to hypothetically brace myself for the inevitable follow-up petitions from the chronic discontents claiming that Declaration 3 didn't go far enough since it failed to include Church funding of sex-change operations for its members.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Posted

When I saw the thread title, my first thought was "it's going to be a discussion about whether or not women will ever get the priesthood", and then I started reading it and thought for a fraction of a second that it wasn't a joke, that they were going to give us a week to ponder/pray about it, then put it to a sustaining vote next week. All of this happened in the fraction of a second that it took to move my mouse to the new tab button (to verify this on the Church website) while I moved my eyes down to the part where you asked what our reaction to this would be.

  1. My only other thought when I thought this was serious was "hey, this is the first time in my lifetime that they've proposed an amendment to the D&C", but I actually saw it in the realm of possibility (and still do) and I was willing to potentially accept it as a revelation (and I still would if this was real). Still, I would have to do the praying/pondering to satisfy my skeptical side, which would tell me that this is just a PR move.
  2. Was there a schism when OD 2 came out? There was a tiny cult that declared OD 2 a final act of apostasy (with OD 1 being another such act), but that aside, I think the revelation would be accepted.
  3. A number of ramifications came to mind, but my over-thinking, ADD mind made them so complicated that I can't post them now.
  4. I agree with Wade Englund. Any organization that attempts to tell people how to live their lives and suggest that another way of life or moral system may be incorrect will always be criticized by those who insist on one of those other ways of life/moral systems.

Also, I should point out that I don't think this is ever going to happen for a number of reasons, but I'm still open to the possibility. If I were not open to the possibility, I would not believe in modern revelation and therefore be the worst kind of Mormon heretic.

Posted

My reaction to this hypothetical would be to hypothetically brace myself for the inevitable follow-up petitions from the chronic discontents claiming that Declaration 3 didn't go far enough since it failed to include Church funding of sex-change operations for its members.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Thats a bit of a stretch isn't it?
Posted

Thats a bit of a stretch isn't it?

Maybe, but they would be demanding Church funding for birth control. ;)

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...