Seriously No Politics ×

Hear Morningstar Sing And Watch Random People Playing Tennis

MorningStar

I was just asked to sing in church this Sunday, so my daughter is napping and I'm practicing on my out of tune, clunky piano and experimenting with the accompaniment/making pa-lenty of mistakes. Sometimes I record myself for the purpose of picking it apart and seeing where I can do better. :D

If I had waited 10 minutes longer, you could have listened to landscapers mowing the lawn and weed whacking.

Edited by MorningStar

It's our free entertainment. Some senior citizens play there every morning and any one of them could beat me. :D Not having a yard, it's also a great place for the kids to run around.

I was just asked to sing in church this Sunday, so my daughter is napping and I'm practicing on my out of tune, clunky piano and experimenting with the accompaniment/making pa-lenty of mistakes. Sometimes I record myself for the purpose of picking it apart and seeing where I can do better. :D

If I had waited 10 minutes longer, you could have listened to landscapers mowing the lawn and weed whacking.

I joined the Church in 1979...signed a waiver I would never sing in public. Pres Kimball signed off on it. :) Good job.

Hahaha!!! Well, you can write the lyrics for other people to sing then. :D

I'll have a good one someday. :D My husband wants a nice keyboard, but they just don't feel the same. I would like to have a keyboard in addition to a real piano so the kids can practice with headphones.

P.S. Cal, the view options were either the tennis court, the fireplace, my computer, or my backside. I was torn between the tennis court and my backside.

I needed that hymn to be sung to me. Thankyou!

I got a call from one of the Bishopric a couple of hours ago, asking if I could speak this Sunday because one of the scheduled speakers was ill. I needed a hymn to get me into the proper frame of mind, and this did it.

Unlike most sane folks, I get all energized and excited when asked to speak in public. I can't say Yes fast enough, and if there's too much time between being asked and the time I must speak, I get very antsy. In fact, I like it best when I have short notice. My shortest notice ever was three hours, and I glommed onto that sucker you bet. I have no explanation for this quirk.

This is not to say that I am an excellent public speaker. Maybe sometimes I have done well, but in my own mind I am merely OK, and not always even that. Only once did I feel I got it right -- and oddly enough it was the time when I had three hours notice.

Lead, Kindly Light! I am going to need it.

That's awesome you love speaking! I would rather sing for an hour than give a 5 minute talk. When I give talks, I usually can't eat a thing up to two days before. I even get nervous while writing talks. The first talk I gave, I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack. Doesn't make any sense that I have no problem singing at the last minute. The hardest musical number I ever did was at my friend's funeral. I was pregnant, sick, and sang right after her crying children sang with some other kids in our ward. I managed not to cry with my iron will and amazingly no one could tell I had a bad cold.

I'm so glad the hymn is helpful to you! :D

Edited by MorningStar

I'll have a good one someday. :D My husband wants a nice keyboard, but they just don't feel the same. I would like to have a keyboard in addition to a real piano so the kids can practice with headphones.

We got a keyboard for that very reason....volume control because I was suffering from migraines at the time very badly. One of the few things I didn't like about Canada. Even without the headaches, the thought of listening to "Twinkle, Twinkle" 4000 times (1000 each of four variations) wasn't appealing to me (the first piano teacher was a Suzuki enthusiast).

We are going to get a real piano one of these days when a good reason to use it as a bribe for my daughter comes up (like getting her to go back to college in music or something.)

Edited by calmoriah

Wanted: a piano tuner ASAP. Must be familiar with warped sound boards,hardened hammers, loose tuning pins etc. Will put on retainer for probable weekly visits. Must love the work so much that will be willing to work for supper and the opportunity to observe amateur tennis matches. Call 1-800-TINEARS

Wanted: a piano tuner ASAP. Must be familiar with warped sound boards,hardened hammers, loose tuning pins etc. Will put on retainer for probable weekly visits. Must love the work so much that will be willing to work for supper and the opportunity to observe amateur tennis matches. Call 1-800-TINEARS

Asking them to watch the tennis. Isn't that a bit much? :P I'm practicing at the church tomorrow so I don't have to suffer so much.

That's awesome you love speaking! I would rather sing for an hour than give a 5 minute talk. When I give talks, I usually can't eat a thing up to two days before. I even get nervous while writing talks. The first talk I gave, I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack. Doesn't make any sense that I have no problem singing at the last minute. The hardest musical number I ever did was at my friend's funeral. I was pregnant, sick, and sang right after her crying children sang with some other kids in our ward. I managed not to cry with my iron will and amazingly no one could tell I had a bad cold.

I'm so glad the hymn is helpful to you! :D

It is interesting that "fear of public speaking" is right up there in with such things as "fear of death".

By the way, can you please come and sing that at our Ward this Sunday after my talk? It would help distract the congregation from what they just heard.

Yes, I know you're singing in YOUR ward this Sunday. Lucky stiffs.

Will the piano be tuned? :D

Sadly, my piano is not even nearly the worst I have had to sing with. I once sang for a wedding reception at someone's house and the piano was BAD. Really, really, reeeeeeeeally bad. I don't think anyone in that family actually played the piano and it was hard not to burst out laughing when I heard it.

MS, I am one of your adoring fans. I admire your voice full stop and would cheerfully sing duets with you any time. Are you planning on singing in this tempo? Personal choice is: a tiny bit more thoughtful and largo ( as in stately) . But that is style -your sound is spot on. :)

Edited by jana at jade house

MS, I am one of your adoring fans. I admire your voice full stop and would cheerfully sing duets with you any time. Are you planning on singing in this tempo? Personal choice is: a tiny bit more thoughtful and largo ( as in stately) . But that is style -your sound is spot on. :)

Woo hoo! Come sing a duet with me! I'll keep that in mind. If I slow it down too much, some of the longer phrases will be a lot harder to get through.

When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy....

My Patriarchal blessing says I was one of the morning stars who sang for joy. Thus my name. :D Coincidentally, it's also the Native American name my aunt gave me when I was about 9.