Seriously No Politics ×

Mom of Tyler Glenn Speaks Re: Her Son's Sacrilegious Music Video

The big question I keep having is, why was the new policy such a shock?  Why were some people so appalled and heart-broken? It's the exact same policy the Church has had in place for years, for polygamists.  In retrospect, it was completely predictable that the Church would have to extend it to gays.  If anything, the Church is probably more likely to soften on polygamous marriage than gay marriage.  The polygamists at least have a precedent.

38 minutes ago, Traela said:

The big question I keep having is, why was the new policy such a shock?  Why were some people so appalled and heart-broken? It's the exact same policy the Church has had in place for years, for polygamists.  In retrospect, it was completely predictable that the Church would have to extend it to gays.  If anything, the Church is probably more likely to soften on polygamous marriage than gay marriage.  The polygamists at least have a precedent.

I'm pretty sure that 99.5% of the church has no idea what the policy is/was on polygamists. Maybe that's why many find it shocking. I didn't know it until after the policy on gay marriage and their children was announced and the comparison was made. 

3 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

Talk about zooming over the top of one's head or, what was the phrase, "You just don't get it when it is staring at you in the face."  The issue is the accusation of being anti-gay - the most anti-gay church in the world no less.  

Reality is different regardless of how much the gay media machine cries wolf.  The Church of Jesus Christ is not anti-gay any more than the Catholic Church is anti-gay.  The Church takes a stand that the gay lifestyle is sinful, unhealthy, and leads to gross unhappiness.  Taking that stand leads the church to be against almost all things that facilitate the promotion of the gay lifestyle....like gay marriage.  

Conversely, taking a stand is not being anti-gay.  Being anti-gay, any degree of anti-gay much less the "most" anti-gay has a much different standard - when used in realistic terms - has more about being homophobic and seeking to destroy those that are gay.  The LDS Church does not do that and never has done that.  

People need to wake up - especially the gay media activists - and begin applying a standard to their monotonous, continuous cries of wolf.  

Cal, if you are going to use appellations like being the "most anti-gay church" then at least back it up with why rather than a group of activists that don't know the difference between being anti-gay like the examples I gave and those that simply have a moral standard different than their own. 

You seriously don't think many people view the church as being very anti-gay?  Cause I can post hundreds if not thousands of Facebook posts after the latest church policy attacks and articles after Prop 8 to support my statement. I spend a lot of time in Europe.  When I tell people that I used to be Mormon, they are fully aware of the strident actions the church has taken towards the gay community.   There is no other major Christian religion that has gone after gays more than the Mormon Church.  I have already listed many of the things the church has done to target the LGBT community.  I am not saying everything the church has done has been attacks on the LGBT community has been hostile.  Certainly the one bright spot was encouraging legislature to provide basic non discrimination laws on housing and employment was a very positive thing.  Unfortunately the latest policy attack wiped away a lot of that good will.

You want to blame the churches teachings of homosexual relationships as the reason.  It is not.  Like I said.  Many churches have similar stands.  Can you name another major Christian religion in America that causes the kind of firestorm that their policies against gay families cause more than the Mormon Church?  Can you name another major Christian religion who has had a movie named after them about taking away the civil rights of gay couples?

Look.  I am sorry the church has such a reputation.  I wish it was not true. It makes me very sad that the church has done these things.

44 minutes ago, mtomm said:

I'm pretty sure that 99.5% of the church has no idea what the policy is/was on polygamists. Maybe that's why many find it shocking. I didn't know it until after the policy on gay marriage and their children was announced and the comparison was made. 

I totally agree with you.  I think both policies of excluding children from baptism because of what their parents are doing is disgraceful.  If I would have known about the polygamist policy I would have been just as outraged by it.  

As I said in an earlier post.  Christ drew sinners closer to Him with love and compassion.  The church builds walls to keep them out. 

10 minutes ago, california boy said:

You seriously don't think many people view the church as being very anti-gay?  Cause I can post hundreds if not thousands of Facebook posts after the latest church policy attacks and articles after Prop 8 to support my statement. I spend a lot of time in Europe.  When I tell people that I used to be Mormon, they are fully aware of the strident actions the church has taken towards the gay community.   There is no other major Christian religion that has gone after gays more than the Mormon Church.  I have already listed many of the things the church has done to target the LGBT community.  I am not saying everything the church has done has been attacks on the LGBT community has been hostile.  Certainly the one bright spot was encouraging legislature to provide basic non discrimination laws on housing and employment was a very positive thing.  Unfortunately the latest policy attack wiped away a lot of that good will.

You want to blame the churches teachings of homosexual relationships as the reason.  It is not.  Like I said.  Many churches have similar stands.  Can you name another major Christian religion in America that causes the kind of firestorm that their policies against gay families cause more than the Mormon Church?  Can you name another major Christian religion who has had a movie named after them about taking away the civil rights of gay couples?

Look.  I am sorry the church has such a reputation.  I wish it was not true. It makes me very sad that the church has done these things.

Cal, yes, I understand that the activists have been successful at their game.  They have branded the Mormon Church as "anti-gay", which now has no meaning.  Mormons are anti-gay in the same sense as Islam is anti-gay, or the Westboro Baptist church is anti-gay.  

There is no measuring stick for what anti-gay is or defines.  It is anything or anyone that dares to take a stand against whatever the Gay Agenda demands that everyone accept.....or be labeled "anti-gay".  What does it mean?  Nothing!  If Islam says kill all those who commit a gay act, or Westboro that wants to destroy all gay people, and the Gay Activists take the same brush they paint those people to paint the LDS Church - who the heck will care what they say or do.  What it means is there is not standard except whatever they say.  

Cal, look you have exaggerated the work of the Church to the point of meaninglessness.  You want to talk about the poor children that have been harmed by not being able to be baptized and there are not children.  Twits want to rail against the church because - pick a reason - and it does not matter.  

The Church has taken a stand against gay marriage and most things that promote the gay lifestyle.  If that is anti-gay, then so be it.  They are anti-gay.  Now what?  What else can be said to make them so terrible?  

Why do you think Mormons are so easy to hate by gay people?  They say the same things that the Catholic Church says.  Hmm, could it be they are small, tiny group that is easy to hate and make fun of?  You bet your sweet derriere it is!.  When you can have a Mormon run for president and the biggest reason people won't vote for him is because he is Mormon you know there is a problem.  

I don't care what the reputation is among the gay establishment.  They have shown themselves to be complete hypocrites.  It makes me very sad that gays are this way, but I have no control over them or their agenda of hate and intolerance.  You see, when you start playing this kind of spin game, everyone can play.  When it is the little guy that gets beat down one day, it will be the other guy the next day.  Gays have become everyone's poor sacred cow.  It will last and then it won't.  Let's talk then about how terrible the LDS Church is and how all those friends of gays turn their backs.  The Church will remain the same. 

34 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

Cal, yes, I understand that the activists have been successful at their game.  They have branded the Mormon Church as "anti-gay", which now has no meaning.  Mormons are anti-gay in the same sense as Islam is anti-gay, or the Westboro Baptist church is anti-gay.  

There is no measuring stick for what anti-gay is or defines.  It is anything or anyone that dares to take a stand against whatever the Gay Agenda demands that everyone accept.....or be labeled "anti-gay".  What does it mean?  Nothing!  If Islam says kill all those who commit a gay act, or Westboro that wants to destroy all gay people, and the Gay Activists take the same brush they paint those people to paint the LDS Church - who the heck will care what they say or do.  What it means is there is not standard except whatever they say.  

Cal, look you have exaggerated the work of the Church to the point of meaninglessness.  You want to talk about the poor children that have been harmed by not being able to be baptized and there are not children.  Twits want to rail against the church because - pick a reason - and it does not matter.  

The Church has taken a stand against gay marriage and most things that promote the gay lifestyle.  If that is anti-gay, then so be it.  They are anti-gay.  Now what?  What else can be said to make them so terrible?  

Why do you think Mormons are so easy to hate by gay people?  They say the same things that the Catholic Church says.  Hmm, could it be they are small, tiny group that is easy to hate and make fun of?  You bet your sweet derriere it is!.  When you can have a Mormon run for president and the biggest reason people won't vote for him is because he is Mormon you know there is a problem.  

I don't care what the reputation is among the gay establishment.  They have shown themselves to be complete hypocrites.  It makes me very sad that gays are this way, but I have no control over them or their agenda of hate and intolerance.  You see, when you start playing this kind of spin game, everyone can play.  When it is the little guy that gets beat down one day, it will be the other guy the next day.  Gays have become everyone's poor sacred cow.  It will last and then it won't.  Let's talk then about how terrible the LDS Church is and how all those friends of gays turn their backs.  The Church will remain the same. 

Well at least you acknowledge that the church has a reputation for being anti-gay.  At least that is a start.  Now if we can work towards you understanding that reputation is had amongst way more than just "the gay establishment."  Not all those Facebook posts were written by "the gay establishment."  Actually there were plenty of Mormons who also thought the policies were wrong. and unnecessary attacks on gay families.  It would be a stretch to call them "the gay establishment."  But if anyone was able to do that, it would be you.

1 hour ago, california boy said:

As I said in an earlier post.  Christ drew sinners closer to Him with love and compassion.  The church builds walls to keep them out. 

I will disagree with this and modify it so it is accurate.

"Christ invites all sinners to come unto Him and repent and the Church does likewise. However, the Church has lovingly put restrictions in place so that unrepentant sinners do not heap additional condemnation upon themselves and so that the Church body to some measure is protected form the effects of their pride, a powerful contagion."

Edited for accuracy.

Edited by Mystery Meat
On 12/05/2016 at 6:02 AM, Traela said:

The big question I keep having is, why was the new policy such a shock?  Why were some people so appalled and heart-broken?

I can't be certain, but from a distance it appears that a small number of members had actually started to believe their own propaganda about having an irresistible agenda 'on the right side of history' ... and about the Church having a history of succumbing to social pressure instead of actually following the revealed will of the Lord.

7 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I can't be certain, but from a distance it appears that a small number of members had actually started to believe their own propaganda about having an irresistible agenda 'on the right side of history' ... and about the Church having a history of succumbing to social pressure instead of actually following the revealed will of the Lord.

I have never understood what “being on the right side of history” has to do with morality.  

On 5/13/2016 at 10:22 PM, Tacenda said:

http://johnpavlovitz.com/2016/03/29/6-ways-churchs-treatment-lgbtq-people-actually-damaging-church/

Pretty good article about churches and gays.  And how many gays are getting kicked out of church, despite their love and devotion to the Saviour.  I don't think Christ is going to be too hapese church's leaders come judgment day.

I read this and was greatly impressed.  It touched me.