Jump to content

Mormont trek trip


Vanguard

Recommended Posts

So I'm planning as part of a larger trip to Chicago (during the Summer of 2022 - and yes, I like to plan way out!) to follow the trek back to Utah. My wife and I will be allocating the equivalent of about four full days. So far the plan is -

Day 1 - Nauvoo historical sites / Carthage Jail

Day 2 - Nauvoo Temple session / Fort Madison (on the Mississippi River), Bonapart (on the Des Moines River), Omaha area overnight.

Day 3 - Winter Quarters sites & temple session / Scottsbluff, NB area overnight

Day 4 - Fort Laramie / Guernsey Ruts / Independence Rock / Martin's Cover & Mormon Handcart Historic Site / Fort Bridger / Evanston, WY overnight

We won't spend much time beyond Evanston as we live in the SLC area and can visit these sites any time. I am looking for additional suggestions for sites to include along the way. Day 3 feels a little light. Any commentary would be much appreciated. 

Obrigado :)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

You might stop for a few hours in Hannibal, Missouri, to see the boyhood home of Mark Twain and the museum.  The town itself is a kind of museum.  I spent a few hours there on my way to Nauvoo. https://marktwainmuseum.org/

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. I will consider this. I didn't realize it was so close to Nauvoo. ; )

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

So I'm planning as part of a larger trip to Chicago (during the Summer of 2022 - and yes, I like to plan way out!) to follow the trek back to Utah. My wife and I will be allocating the equivalent of about four full days. So far the plan is -

Day 1 - Nauvoo historical sites / Carthage Jail

Day 2 - Nauvoo Temple session / Fort Madison (on the Mississippi River), Bonapart (on the Des Moines River), Omaha area overnight.

Day 3 - Winter Quarters sites & temple session / Scottsbluff, NB area overnight

Day 4 - Fort Laramie / Guernsey Ruts / Independence Rock / Martin's Cover & Mormon Handcart Historic Site / Fort Bridger / Evanston, WY overnight

We won't spend much time beyond Evanston as we live in the SLC area and can visit these sites any time. I am looking for additional suggestions for sites to include along the way. Day 3 feels a little light. Any commentary would be much appreciated. 

Obrigado :)

It's too bad you're taking the northern route into Nebraska.  If you were able to dip south into Missouri there are SO many amazing Church history sites.  But then it wouldn't be "The Mormon Trail" route.

Edited by JLHPROF
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

It's too bad you're taking the northern route into Nebraska.  If you were able to dip south into Missouri there are SO many amazing Church history sites.  But then it wouldn't be "The Mormon Trail" route.

I'm realizing we're definitely missing out on a lot in Missouri... : ( The whole trip is quite ambitious actually. We're leaving SLC by van to go down to Palm Springs to see my folks, catching an Amtrak in San Bernardino that will whisk us away to Chicago over three days, spending enough time in the Windy City to visit all the requisite Chicago sites, renting a car to Indianapolis for the DCI Worlds Finals (look it up if you're not familiar with DCI), returning to Chicago on a Sunday morning to attend church services at the New Beginnings Church in south Chicago led by the Pastor Corey Brooks (look him up - he's amazing), and then traveling on that Sunday over to Nauvoo to start our 'Trek' leg of the vacation. Whew. : )

Link to comment

During the Sesquicentennial my husband and I joined the official Wagon Train (that had started in Winter Quarters) in Sutherland, Nebraska and rode with them for a day... we got up early in the morning and had breakfast with them (a real western style with flapjacks, etc)... then rode in a covered wagon belonging to a couple from Iowa that had a team of huge draft horses named Bonnie and Clyde... we dressed in authentic clothing... As the train was ready to get under way, the trail leader cried out... Wagons, Ho!!... and off we went.  I admit it sent chills in me because I could just feel how it must have been... as we travelled across the Nebraska prairie, I jumped down and walked beside the wagon for a ways... it was an experience I, and my non-LDS husband, remembered through the years... its hard to relate just how I felt, but I now understand and view the history much differently than before this experience... we stopped out on a farmer's land at a child's gravesite that the family had found and taken care of for generations.  We gathered around the grave and one of the men offered a prayer, dedicating the site... it was very moving... As the wagon train travelled across the prairie, homeowners opened up their fences to allow us to travel through...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

During the Sesquicentennial my husband and I joined the official Wagon Train (that had started in Winter Quarters) in Sutherland, Nebraska and rode with them for a day... we got up early in the morning and had breakfast with them (a real western style with flapjacks, etc)... then rode in a covered wagon belonging to a couple from Iowa that had a team of huge draft horses named Bonnie and Clyde... we dressed in authentic clothing... As the train was ready to get under way, the trail leader cried out... Wagons, Ho!!... and off we went.  I admit it sent chills in me because I could just feel how it must have been... as we travelled across the Nebraska prairie, I jumped down and walked beside the wagon for a ways... it was an experience I, and my non-LDS husband, remembered through the years... its hard to relate just how I felt, but I now understand and view the history much differently than before this experience... we stopped out on a farmer's land at a child's gravesite that the family had found and taken care of for generations.  We gathered around the grave and one of the men offered a prayer, dedicating the site... it was very moving... As the wagon train travelled across the prairie, homeowners opened up their fences to allow us to travel through...

GG

Thanks for that. Sounds like a great experience. : )

Link to comment

I do not think anyone can fairly do nauvoo and the jail in one day, even if one is just experiencing the activities at each restored site within Nauvoo and not the pageant type events.  (Chicago to Nauvoo is 4 hrs.)  You are going to want to walk from the temple to where they crossed the mississippi  and probably stop at one of the community eating places in nauvoo. 

Link to comment
On 3/25/2021 at 1:46 PM, Calm said:

My Gift of the Spirit is choosing appropriate search terms for Google.

I had a good laugh at this, because knowing the right search terms isn't always easy.  Among my experiences with receiving direct answers to prayer include a time when I was preparing a talk for sacrament meeting and I knew exactly how I wanted to approach the topic, but I couldn't for the life of me find anything on the Church's web site that supported the approach that I wanted to take.  But after praying long and hard, a particular search combination of words came to mind, and using those search words pulled up a devotional talk from an apostle that took the exact approach that I was looking for and I used some of his remarks for the framework of my talk.  So having this Gift is a good thing, the rest of us have to labor long and hard and pray to get it :) 

Edited by InCognitus
Link to comment
On 3/25/2021 at 1:37 PM, Vanguard said:
On 3/25/2021 at 12:29 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

You might stop for a few hours in Hannibal, Missouri, to see the boyhood home of Mark Twain and the museum.  The town itself is a kind of museum.  I spent a few hours there on my way to Nauvoo. https://marktwainmuseum.org/

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. I will consider this. I didn't realize it was so close to Nauvoo. ; )

I also recommend the visit to Hannibal.  If you go there, the Mark Twain Cave is just over two miles south along the river from there.  It was part of Mark Twain's inspiration for his books.

https://www.marktwaincave.com/

 

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...