Jump to content

Am I becoming my dad?


Recommended Posts

So through the fairmormon videos, I've stumbled across 3 other YouTube channels that discuss mormon topics. This morning on my way to work I listened to this video by stone 16. I know alot of you say that this new approach to reach the youth of the church has nothing to do with the the mormon church, they dont fund it. Ok, but watching these 4 channels, saints unscripted, midnight mormons, stone 16 and the new fairmormon videos, I get a weird feeling that all 4 are being produced by the same company. I have no proof of that. It's just a feeling, they're all alike in someway and I cant quite put my finger on it. Am I just getting old? Am I an old fuddy duddy now like my Dad? Or is this a new direction members or nonprofits (not the church) are going to take to reach the youth? If so, I dont know if it's going to work. Any thoughts?

20210107_073150.jpg

Link to comment

No, you're not becoming your dad, but you have been watching too many Progressive auto insurance commercials. ;):D

P.S.: Do I need to tell you the same thing I told Islander the other day when he was picking on you?  "Lighten up, Francis!" ;):D  This particular strain of apologetics might not appeal to you and me, but then, its not designed nor intended to.

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

No, you're not becoming your dad, but you have been watching too many Progressive auto insurance commercials. ;):D

P.S.: Do I need to tell you the same thing I told Islander the other day when he was picking on you?  "Lighten up, Francis!" ;):D  This particular strain of apologetics might not appeal to you and me, but then, its not designed nor intended to.

That's what I thought. I'm just starting to dip my toes into this whole apologetics thing. I guess I've been what some would call a "chapel mormon". Pay, pray and obey🤣. Never really worried about much more than what's right around me as far as Mormonism goes. I just haven't had the time or the urge to study deeper than the scriptures. But man, its wild out there! 

Link to comment
39 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

That's what I thought. I'm just starting to dip my toes into this whole apologetics thing. I guess I've been what some would call a "chapel mormon". Pay, pray and obey🤣.

You, a Chapel Mormon [sic]?  I doubt it, Mikey!  I very much doubt it! :D:rofl:

Link to comment
3 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

That's what I thought. I'm just starting to dip my toes into this whole apologetics thing. I guess I've been what some would call a "chapel mormon". Pay, pray and obey🤣. Never really worried about much more than what's right around me as far as Mormonism goes. I just haven't had the time or the urge to study deeper than the scriptures. But man, its wild out there! 

What matters, first, last, most, and always, is one's testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Pure light and knowledge from the Spirit of God is worth more than all of the accumulated knowledge of secular studies and plumbing the endless depths of history and other disciplines combined.  And remember the old saying: "The past is a foreign country.  They do things differently there." ;)  And never forget another thing I've told you before: You don't see these things as they are; you see them as you are.  And further still, perhaps the biggest reason you haven't spent time in the other pursuits you mention is because ... they're not worth your time!

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

You, a Chapel Mormon [sic]?  I doubt it, Mikey!  I very much doubt it! :D:rofl:

I didnt say I was good at being a chapel mormon 😁

Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

What matters, first, last, most, and always, is one's testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Pure light and knowledge from the Spirit of God is worth more than all of the accumulated knowledge of secular studies and plumbing the endless depths of history and other disciplines combined.  And remember the old saying: "The past is a foreign country.  They do things differently there." ;)  And never forget another thing I've told you before: You don't see these things as they are; you see them as you are.  And further still, perhaps the biggest reason you haven't spent time in the other pursuits you mention is because ... they're not worth your time!

True. I never had the time, was happy just to go along to get along, that's kinda changed now.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

I get a weird feeling that all 4 are being produced by the same company.

The same people work on them, I believe, so there are likely huge overlaps.  Saints Unscripted is one of the reasons FM set them up to make videos for FM.  I don’t know who is producing each of them, should be easy to find out. It is a small community doing these podcasts and they likely all know each other well and choose to work together because of shared interests. I only know one of the individuals of the community so can’t say for sure. 

The director and host of Midnight Mormons directed the FM videos and was a host at least on Stone.

As far as why there aren’t others...there may be that you and I haven’t noticed for some reason (I don’t look for these things or watch them, but people draw my attention to them, so I only know a few popular ones) or they just aren’t popular with youth; this group is very popular at this time plus few Saints get involved in apologetics to begin with, which will limit who is doing this stuff to a small group. 
 

I don’t really see a problem. It is similar to how you see the same authors writing for NAMI when they used to do apologetics, FM, the Interpreter, Book of Mormon Central, etc. And a number of FM volunteers associate with other apologetic organizations.  It is a small community.  There are not too many people wanting to put effort and resources into apologetics and there are fewer who can do it in a way that attracts an audience.

Quote

Or is this a new direction members or nonprofits (not the church) are going to take to reach the youth?

It is one direction.  I don’t track youth productions of other organizations, but if there are other productions using different methods that are attracting youth, I don’t see any reason why FM might not try them.  There is nothing inherent in the Saints Unscripted, etc style that drives FM to connect with them beyond the fact they are effective in reaching youth, so we tried it out. 

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

I didnt say I was good at being a chapel mormon 😁

I can imagine! :D

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Calm said:

The same people work on them, I believe, so there are likely huge overlaps.  Saints Unscripted is one of the reasons FM set them up to make videos for FM.  I don’t know who is producing each of them, should be easy to find out. It is a small community doing these podcasts and they likely all know each other well and choose to work together because of shared interests. I only know one of the individuals of the community so can’t say for sure. 

The director and host of Midnight Mormons directed the FM videos and was a host at least on Stone.

As far as why there aren’t others...there may be that you and I haven’t noticed for some reason (I don’t look for these things or watch them, but people draw my attention to them, so I only know a few popular ones) or they just aren’t popular with youth; this group is very popular at this time plus few Saints get involved in apologetics to begin with, which will limit who is doing this stuff to a small group. 
 

I don’t really see a problem. It is similar to how you see the same authors writing for NAMI when they used to do apologetics, FM, the Interpreter, Book of Mormon Central, etc. And a number of FM volunteers associate with other apologetic organizations.  It is a small community.  There are not too many people wanting to put effort and resources into apologetics and there are fewer who can do it in a way that attracts an audience.

It is one direction.  I don’t track youth productions of other organizations, but if there are other productions using different methods that are attracting youth, I don’t see any reason why FM might not try them.  There is nothing inherent in the Saints Unscripted, etc style that drives FM to connect with them beyond the fact they are effective in reaching youth, so we tried it out. 

Thank you calm. I think it's good there's groups out there trying to reach the youth of the church. I admit I'm not very knowledgeable about apologetics yet, so I'm asking questions to figure it out.  I hope this thread didnt come off as I'm trying to become a conspiracy theorist,  it just seemed weird that all 4 shared the same production value, so thank you again for the explanation.

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

And remember the old saying: "The past is a foreign country.  They do things differently there." ;)  And never forget another thing I've told you before: You don't see these things as they are; you see them as you are.  And further still, perhaps the biggest reason you haven't spent time in the other pursuits you mention is because ... they're not worth your time!

Sheer brilliance.

Seriously.

:clapping:🤓🤓🥰

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

 I hope this thread didnt come off as I'm trying to become a conspiracy theorist

I was confused if you saw a problem with it or thought it was just strange. 

Link to comment
On 1/7/2021 at 6:05 AM, AtlanticMike said:

That's what I thought. I'm just starting to dip my toes into this whole apologetics thing. I guess I've been what some would call a "chapel mormon". Pay, pray and obey🤣. Never really worried about much more than what's right around me as far as Mormonism goes. I just haven't had the time or the urge to study deeper than the scriptures. But man, its wild out there! 

But there ARE answers for everything, don't let it get to you. Lots of folks here are ready to help if you are ready to listen. We have heard it all many times over!

Link to comment
14 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

But there ARE answers for everything, don't let it get to you. Lots of folks here are ready to help if you are ready to listen. We have heard it all many times over!

Thank you so much! I really do appreciate that. I'm studying opinions of different apologist that I find, actually fair mormon has a bunch of really good videos. I'll put my headset on and listen to videos, yesterday I listened to a guy named Dan Peterson talking about Book of Mormon DNA, that's what I'm studying now. That will probably be my next topic in general discussions once I Iisten to a few more opinions and figure it out. 

Link to comment
On 1/7/2021 at 5:48 PM, Calm said:

There are not too many people wanting to put effort and resources into apologetics and there are fewer who can do it in a way that attracts an audience.

And then there are people like me, who are willing to put in the time and effort into it, but realize that the best they got is pedantism. I spent literally hours last Sunday writing a refutation of some drivel I found on Patheos. The British Bride then tried to read it, and said she couldn't understand half of it. Probably because it was "Write-Only". You know what that is, right? Us computer guys can use a couple different types of CD discs. There's the "Read-Only" that you can write data to, because they can't be modified, and then there's the "Read-Write" kinds, that you can write to them and later modify the data, and then there's the "Write-Only" kind, that you can write data to, but too bad because it's too hard to read, so it's "Write-Only".  It's like IBM software manuals -- they wrote them, but good luck trying to understand what they wrote.

Anyway, I was torn between making a comedy skit out of it and writing an actual refutation, and it shows.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, AtlanticMike said:

a guy named Dan Peterson

LOL! One of the premier apologists on the planet is just some guy, you know.

Oh, wait, were you trolling...? 🤪

Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

LOL! One of the premier apologists on the planet is just some guy, you know.

Oh, wait, were you trolling...? 🤪

He's a BYU professor. I dont know him. I'm learning about DNA and watching videos from different people. How was I trolling?

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

He's a BYU professor. I dont know him. I'm learning about DNA and watching videos from different people. How was I trolling?

You weren't, necessarily. Sorry about that, I was being flippant/joking. Dr. Peterson is extremely well-known here, and even posts on occasion. 

There are two kinds of trolling: hostile and friendly. It seemed to me you were trolling in the friendly fashion, because (as said) Dan Peterson is prominent here at MDDB. Which, as it turns out now, you didn't know. I was assuming too much.

Link to comment

No worries. He's just one of the people I've come across in my search to figure out this whole 2 hill cumorah thing. Its fascinating to me because I've never heard that there's more than one cumorah. Infact, my first time leaving the state I live in was to take a church bus trip to Hershey park then to go to cumorah. Cumorah has always been in New York for me, never even considered to be anywhere else. It really is confusing as hell. Im taking it slow, my wife thought I was spending to much time on church topics so I'm watching or reading only about 30 minutes a day so I keep the wife happy. I'll figure it out soon.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Stargazer said:

You weren't, necessarily. Sorry about that, I was being flippant/joking. Dr. Peterson is extremely well-known here, and even posts on occasion. 

There are two kinds of trolling: hostile and friendly. It seemed to me you were trolling in the friendly fashion, because (as said) Dan Peterson is prominent here at MDDB. Which, as it turns out now, you didn't know. I was assuming too much.

I wouldn't have known Dan Petersen had it not been for seeing him discussed about on this discussion forum and others. :)

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I wouldn't have known Dan Petersen had it not been for seeing him discussed about on this discussion forum and others. :)

Probably me too. He is probably more (in)famous in anti-LDS circles.

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Probably me too. He is probably more (in)famous in anti-LDS circles.

I would say he is well known in LDS apologetic circles, whether pro, neutral, or anti.

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...