Seriously No Politics ×

A Moment of Beauty in These Difficult Times....

1 hour ago, smac97 said:

Let's have contributions that are unifying, uplifting, cheering, and good.

Thanks,

-Smac

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_of_Faith_(Latter_Day_Saints)

Article 13

The thirteenth article states beliefs in how one should conduct oneself. The "admonition of Paul" referenced appears to be Philippians 4:8.

1. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul — "We believe all things, we hope all things," we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
3 hours ago, smac97 said:

Anyone else?  Let's have contributions that are unifying, uplifting, cheering, and good.

Though I'm a Canadian, I really like this video from former president Bush:

If only we could live up to this call for unity.

A really old oldie, minimalist jazz, incredible arrangement, perfect singer, and, dare I say it, timely, timely, timely:
Fever
Never know how much I love you
Never know how much I care
When you put your arms around me
I get a fever that's so hard to bear
You give me fever,
When you kiss me
Fever when you hold me tight
Fever
In the mornin', a fever all through the night
Sun lights up the day time
Moon lights up the night
I light up when you call my name
And you know I'm gonna treat you right
You give me fever,
When you kiss me
Fever
In the mornin'
A fever all through the night
Everybody's got the fever
That is somethin' you all know
Fever isn't such a new thing
Fever started a long ago
Romeo loved Juliet
Juliet she felt the same
When he put his arms around her
He said, "Julie baby you're my flame"
Thou givest fever
When we kisseth
Fever with thy flaming youth
Fever
I'm on fire
Fever yeah I burn forsooth
Captain Smith and Pocahontas
Had a very mad affair
When her daddy tried to kill him
She said, "Daddy oh don't you dare"
He gives me fever
With his kisses
Fever when he holds me tight
Fever
I'm his missus
And daddy won't you treat him right?
Now you've listened to my story
Here's the point that I have made
Chicks were born to give you fever
Be it fahrenheit or centigrade
They give you fever
When we kiss them
Fever if you live you learn
Fever
Till you sizzle
Oh what a lovely way to burn
What a lovely way to burn
And what a lovely way to burn
Songwriters: Eddie Cooley / John

Edited by USU78

I've lost the links, but early on in the Colorado Springs protests, there were pix and videos of the police and protesters kneeling together in remembrance of George Floyd.  Also a video of the protesters doing a roller-skating line dance.  

On my way home today, I saw good General Palmer on his impressively-ungelded stallion, unmolested and ungraffiti'd, where he'll surely continue to evoke awkward tittering for years to come, from the high school he guards.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

9 hours ago, USU78 said:
A really old oldie, minimalist jazz, incredible arrangement, perfect singer, and, dare I say it, timely, timely, timely:
Fever
Never know how much I love you
Never know how much I care
When you put your arms around me
I get a fever that's so hard to bear
You give me fever,
When you kiss me
Fever
In the mornin', a fever all through the night
Sun lights up the day time
Moon lights up the night
I light up when you call my name
And you know I'm gonna treat you right
You give me fever,
When you kiss me
Fever
In the mornin'
A fever all through the night
Everybody's got the fever
That is somethin' you all know
Fever isn't such a new thing
Fever started a long ago
Romeo loved Juliet
Juliet she felt the same
When he put his arms around her
He said, "Julie baby you're my flame"
Thou givest fever
When we kisseth
Fever with thy flaming youth
Fever
I'm on fire
Fever yeah I burn forsooth
Captain Smith and Pocahontas
Had a very mad affair
When her daddy tried to kill him
She said, "Daddy oh don't you dare"
He gives me fever
With his kisses
Fever when he holds me tight
Fever
I'm his missus
And daddy won't you treat him right?
Now you've listened to my story
Here's the point that I have made
Chicks were born to give you fever
Be it fahrenheit or centigrade
They give you fever
When we kiss them
Fever if you live you learn
Fever
Till you sizzle
Oh what a lovely way to burn
And what a lovely way to burn
Songwriters: Eddie Cooley / John

Peggy Lee!

Wow it's been a while since I have heard that name!

22 hours ago, Nevo said:

Though I'm a Canadian ...

You're Canadian, eh?  That explains a lot about you! ;):D

:friends:

A few years ago, I was waiting for some meeting to start at church.  I was reading the Book of Mormon to myself in Spanish aloud, softly, and our High Council Representative, who I was, theretofore, unaware speaks Spanish, approached me and we started conversing in Spanish.  Then a counselor in the Bishopric, who is Canadian, approached, and said, "It always makes me a little nervous when people around me are speaking a language I don't understand."  I said, "Don't worry, Brother G.  It's not a lot different than when you start speaking Canadian with someone else around us!" :D:rofl::D

“My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

“And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes” (D&C 121:7–8).

And so he has.  Thanks for posting the above, USU78.  I could listen to that for hours on end! :)

On 6/27/2020 at 9:05 PM, USU78 said:

And for today's sad anniversary:

Just absolutely wonderful!!! Did W.W. Phelps write this? I have always identified with him, he was a poet, I am a poet. He is hard on the eyes, via looks, I am hard on the eyes, via looks. Although my wife, children, and friends tell me, that not on my worst day, could I look that bad. He struggled at times with his faith (as in believing), I have struggled with my faith at times (as in believing). So we are brothers in many ways. I wonder if he wrote this because he wrote many songs about the Prophet Joseph Smith, as a form of redemption, for having betrayed the Prophet for a time. One thing wonderful about our Prophet, is how he just forgave him and others whom he knew had said and wrote horrible things about him. Also another thing, W.W. Phelps, wrote one of his greatest, (if not the greatest) and the most wonderful of hymns, that is sung at every Temple dedication, and in countless, Ward, Stake, and General Conferences, that hymn, being #2, “The Spirit of God”.If he had only written this hymn, that alone should take him too, and keep him there as maybe the greatest Latter-day hymn writer, past, present, and future. What a wonderful legacy, to have your hymn sung at Kirkland Temple dedication, and every Temple since. My guess is that it will be included in October General Conference, and in countless Wards, when the world turns again to normalcy, an event I look forward too. 

20 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Just absolutely wonderful!!! Did W.W. Phelps write this? I have always identified with him, he was a poet, I am a poet. He is hard on the eyes, via looks, I am hard on the eyes, via looks. Although my wife, children, and friends tell me, that not on my worst day, could I look that bad. He struggled at times with his faith (as in believing), I have struggled with my faith at times (as in believing). So we are brothers in many ways. I wonder if he wrote this because he wrote many songs about the Prophet Joseph Smith, as a form of redemption, for having betrayed the Prophet for a time. One thing wonderful about our Prophet, is how he just forgave him and others whom he knew had said and wrote horrible things about him. Also another thing, W.W. Phelps, wrote one of his greatest, (if not the greatest) and the most wonderful of hymns, that is sung at every Temple dedication, and in countless, Ward, Stake, and General Conferences, that hymn, being #2, “The Spirit of God”.If he had only written this hymn, that alone should take him too, and keep him there as maybe the greatest Latter-day hymn writer, past, present, and future. What a wonderful legacy, to have your hymn sung at Kirkland Temple dedication, and every Temple since. My guess is that it will be included in October General Conference, and in countless Wards, when the world turns again to normalcy, an event I look forward too. 

Just looked it up. I thought it was Phelps, too, but it was John Taylor who, as you know, watched it happen and fought like a demon to stop it.

On 6/27/2020 at 7:05 PM, USU78 said:

And for today's sad anniversary:

On 6/27/2020 at 10:17 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

And so he has.  Thanks for posting the above, USU78.  I could listen to that for hours on end! :)

The anniversary of the martyrdom takes me back to the dedication of the reconstructed Nauvoo Illinois Temple. President Gordon B. Hinckley timed the dedication on the anniversary day and the precise time of day of the martyrdom as a tribute to the Prophet who commenced the building of the original Nauvoo Temple but did not live to see it completed. 

I was there on that dedication day and have revisited it a number of times since. As I gaze on that beautiful edifice, I’m reminded of the Prophet’s declaration that no unhallowed hand shall stop the work from progressing. 

And so, USU78, though it is indeed a sad anniversary, when we consider what has transpired since, we have great cause for joy — and gratitude. “Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah”!

Edited by Scott Lloyd