Jump to content

The Power of Survey's


Duncan

Recommended Posts

I had an exciting opportunity to participate in the Church Archives online Survey and they asked if I had any comments. I did and I said I see all the time online content that is available but is "limited access" and I said why offer it and not have an opportunity to view it or reading it? I said I realize that everyone wants things online immediately in todays day and age and as an example all these video and audio archives of General Conference. Well, not ten minutes ago, after I cried that Bluebell forgot to wish me a happy birthday the other day😭😭 I logged in and would you believe the CHL has put the audio online portions of conferences from 1938-1941. I don't know if they plan on digitizing all of it and video too and who knows if others raised the same point but yeah, surveys do work!!!!

Link to comment
14 hours ago, Duncan said:

I had an exciting opportunity to participate in the Church Archives online Survey and they asked if I had any comments. I did and I said I see all the time online content that is available but is "limited access" and I said why offer it and not have an opportunity to view it or reading it? I said I realize that everyone wants things online immediately in todays day and age and as an example all these video and audio archives of General Conference. Well, not ten minutes ago, after I cried that Bluebell forgot to wish me a happy birthday the other day😭😭 I logged in and would you believe the CHL has put the audio online portions of conferences from 1938-1941. I don't know if they plan on digitizing all of it and video too and who knows if others raised the same point but yeah, surveys do work!!!!

This is great news! I was starting to think the church was hiding some unconventional talks. 

BTW, I'm sorry I missed saying Happy Birthday to you on FB, I hope you had the best day! 🇨🇦🎈🎉

Link to comment
Just now, Tacenda said:

This is great news! I was starting to think the church was hiding some unconventional talks. 

BTW, I'm sorry I missed saying Happy Birthday to you on FB, I hope you had the best day! 🇨🇦🎈🎉

🎁 Thank you!!!!!

Link to comment

I need to find one of those surveys.

The Church web site is very thorough and complete with their labels, but sometimes they go overboard on audio files.  I downloaded the complete MP3 set for Volume 1 of "Saints" so I could listen to it in my car while travelling,   I copied them to a USB drive and plugged it into my 2013 Nissan's built in audio player, and when I tried to open the directory it CHOKED.  It was totally unresponsive.  After a bit of trial and error troubleshooting, I found that the Album tags on the MP3 files are literally 110 characters long!   For example, this is one of them:  "Saints: The Story of the Church of Jesus Christ in the Latter-days, Volume 1: The Standard of Truth, 1815-1846".  (I'd need to take at least three breaths while trying to say that title out loud!)  After I edited all of the Album tags to shorten them to a reasonable length, it worked just fine in my car  :)

I've been meaning to provide that as feedback to the web site, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

 

Link to comment

They have a feedback option...not sure if still posted on each page or not.  Used to be at the very bottom of each page.

Just checked....on my iPad there is an orange tab on the right hand side towards the bottom.  That gives me the option of providing general feedback or specific to the page feedback.

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
On 9/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, Duncan said:

🎁 Thank you!!!!!

I probably missed it, myself.  I haven't spent much time there on FB recently, and missed a few other birthdays.  So have a belated happy from me, too!

Link to comment
On 9/25/2019 at 9:31 PM, Calm said:

Why does that not surprise me. 

She needs to check out some J. Golden Kimball sometime.  I think that would take care of the need to find unconventional talks.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

She needs to check out some J. Golden Kimball sometime.  I think that would take care of the need to find unconventional talks.

No, his talks are some of the best, lol!

I'm aware the church takes out some of the spoken wording and changes it before it's put into transcript form. Which is fine, but the one talk by Pres. Packer is a for instance. Not saying it happens alot though. 

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/general-conference/1976/10/media/2680671857001?lang=eng

Link to comment
On 9/25/2019 at 4:11 PM, Tacenda said:

Well you and someone else were saying how difficult it was to find things on LDS.org now. My bad!

 

But that means it is hard to find everything, not just somethings.

You don't shift to pushing for much more personal study if you don't want your people to learn things.

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Calm said:

But that means it is hard to find everything, not just somethings.

You don't shift to pushing for much more personal study if you don't want your people to learn things.

In my quote to Stargazer I mentioned that the church will take out spoken words and delete them from the transcripted words. So that is what my fly by comment that some things that are unconventional may be taken away, this and entire talks.

Here is another for instance: https://www.heraldextra.com/boyd-k-packer-cleansing-the-inner-temple-part-of/youtube_59b2d4e6-cfd7-11df-a184-001cc4c03286.html In Pres. Packer's talk he said: "Why would our heavenly father do that to anyone? Remember, he is our father."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2010/10/cleansing-the-inner-vessel?lang=eng

Some suppose that they were preset and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn temptations toward the impure and unnatural. Not so! Remember, God is our Heavenly Father.

 

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
On 9/24/2019 at 5:43 PM, Duncan said:

I had an exciting opportunity to participate in the Church Archives online Survey and they asked if I had any comments. I did and I said I see all the time online content that is available but is "limited access" and I said why offer it and not have an opportunity to view it or reading it? I said I realize that everyone wants things online immediately in todays day and age and as an example all these video and audio archives of General Conference. Well, not ten minutes ago, after I cried that Bluebell forgot to wish me a happy birthday the other day😭😭 I logged in and would you believe the CHL has put the audio online portions of conferences from 1938-1941. I don't know if they plan on digitizing all of it and video too and who knows if others raised the same point but yeah, surveys do work!!!!

You share my son's birthday. Happy late birthday!

Unfortunately you forgot to add me as a facebook friend or I would have wished you both a happy birthday.

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...