Seriously No Politics ×

Endowment Houses

16 hours ago, Duncan said:

I am baffled every conference I hear about another Utah Temple, like a 20 minute drive is too much?! What's wrong with Ireland or Mongolia getting a Temple😮

I know the temples in Utah are very busy with baptisms.  My kids wait for a long time to do 3 names. We have gone to several temples here in Utah. They are all busy for the youth. I know draper and Jordan river are all very busy. They hand out time cards. It's full when I go. 

That's why there is another Utah temple being built. 

6 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Curious. Since the only ordinances actually performed in the Holy of Holies aren't even admitted to still being practiced.

2nd Anountings?  

They haven’t said that they deny this ordinance is done, have they?  I know it’s not discussed much, so lots of members aren’t aware of it, but it’s not a secret is it?

Edited by JulieM
12 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

No, they are done in other temples also. I enjoy talking with temple recorders; you can learn many things.

Huh. I didn't realize that. Makes sense as they usually try to keep quiet who is involved. If someone has to fly to Salt Lake for unknown reasons that gets peoples tongues wagging.

I did a little reading (just kept it to wikipedia) about the 2nd anointing. Who decides who receives it? What are the qualifications for receiving it? It seems to be even more hush-hush than the endowment, so if you can't talk about it I understand. Do most members know much about it?

Just curious but respectful :) 

42 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

Huh. I didn't realize that. Makes sense as they usually try to keep quiet who is involved. If someone has to fly to Salt Lake for unknown reasons that gets peoples tongues wagging.

One of the FP or 12 comes to the respective temple when ordinances are needed.

17 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

I did a little reading (just kept it to wikipedia) about the 2nd anointing. Who decides who receives it? What are the qualifications for receiving it? It seems to be even more hush-hush than the endowment, so if you can't talk about it I understand. Do most members know much about it?

Hello Dear Friend,

The 2nd anointing is unknown to many, if not most, members of the Church; it is just not a common topic of discussion.

It is a topic which I have devoted some time to understanding. However, what I share remains and is only my opinion and understanding and nothing more. This ordinance is offered to those individuals in leadership positions that "need" it given their capacity and area of service. It is seldom, if ever, offered to members at large. Contrary to common understanding, the ordinance is not meant to indicate an individual or more accurately, a couple, has attained a guarantee of Exaltation or Eternal Life. It remains an ordinance, a covenant between the individuals involved and God. 

At various times, leaders of the church have encouraged members to seek their Calling and Election sure just as Peter did in 2 Peter 1:10. My opinion is that this Calling and Election is similar to the Second Annointing, but one may receive their Calling and Election without having received the ordinance of Second Anointing. 

44 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

The 2nd Anointing (or having your calling and election made sure as some refer to it or the second endowment) was very commonly done in the early days of the church.  It was not kept a secret either as it seems to be done today.  At one time, I studied the history of it...but at one point I think the church stopped doing them (or at least stopped talking publicly about them).  I think members were requesting to have the ordinance performed for them and members may have wondered why some got it done and not others, etc.  I honestly don't know if they ever stopped performing the ordinance because it is still performed today (from all appearances and some have even written about their experiences).  It's somewhat controversial still (I think) because many don't know about it or don't believe it's still taking place.

I have read that almost all mission presidents receiving their 2nd anointing, Patriarchs and many Stake Presidents (don't know for sure of course).  I would imagine all of the Apostles have had their's done.  I'm not sure how they are selected for this ordinance but maybe others here know.  

It's a bit silly not to discuss it now because it was something of great importance to Joseph Smith and he wrote and spoke quite a bit about it, iirc (he sometimes referred to it as the "fulness of the priesthood").  We just should not get into particulars or share anything that should not be shared regarding the specific words, ordinance, blessing, etc.  But it's not really a secret that it's performed.

Here's this:

Although Joseph Smith, Jr. introduced the Nauvoo Endowment in 1842, he came to understand that his work in establishing the "fullness of the priesthood" was not yet complete. In August 1843, church leader Brigham Young stated that "f any in the Church had the fullness of the priesthood, he did not know it", nevertheless, Young understood that the "fullness of the priesthood" involved an anointing as "king and priest", with the actual kingdom to be given later.

The initial second anointing took place on September 28, 1843, when Joseph and his wife Emma Smith received it. During Smith's lifetime, the second anointing was given to at least 20 men and 17 women (Buerger 1983, pp. 22–23). After Smith died in June 1844, Brigham Young assumed control of the LDS Church, and in January 1846, he began administering the second anointing in the nearly-completed Nauvoo Temple. Young re-administered the ordinance to many of those who had received it under Joseph Smith, and he delegated his authority to others, who performed nearly 600 second anointings (some to polygamous unions) before the temple was closed on February 7, 1846 (Buerger 1983, p. 26).

After the trek to Utah, the LDS Church did not conduct further second anointings until late 1866. Beginning in the 1870s, second anointings were performed vicariously (Buerger 1983, p. 30). In the 1880s, then President of the Church John Taylor was concerned that too many second anointings were being performed, and he instituted a series of procedural safeguards, requiring recommendation by a stake president, and a guideline that the ordinance "belonged particularly to old men" (Buerger 1983, pp. 32–33). In 1901, President Lorenzo Snow further limited accessibility to the ordinance by outlining stringent criteria for worthiness (Buerger 1983, pp. 33–34).

By 1918, over 14,000 second anointings had been performed for the living and the dead. (Buerger 1983, p. 39). During the administration of Heber J. Grant in the 1920s, however, the frequency of second anointings was dramatically reduced. Stake presidents were no longer allowed to recommend candidates for the ordinance, that privilege falling only to members of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles (Buerger 1983, pp. 39–40). By 1941, just under 15,000 second anointings had been performed for the living, and just over 6,000 for the dead (Buerger 1983, p. 41). The church has not allowed historians to have access to second anointing records subsequent to 1941; therefore, the current frequency of anointings is obscure.

Edited by ALarson
1 minute ago, MiserereNobis said:

Thanks for the replies. If someone has received are they supposed to keep quiet about it? If they are asked directly are they supposed to deny? I'm just wondering what level of secrecy (no negative connotation meant) surrounds this.

They should not discuss it (except with their spouse), so they shouldn't bring it up.  If they were directly asked, I can't imagine they should lie about it or deny it.  Maybe just say "it's not to be discussed".

4 hours ago, cherryTreez said:

I know the temples in Utah are very busy with baptisms.  My kids wait for a long time to do 3 names. We have gone to several temples here in Utah. They are all busy for the youth. I know draper and Jordan river are all very busy. They hand out time cards. It's full when I go. 

That's why there is another Utah temple being built. 

The kids would likely have plenty of time if they went during school hours.  Not sure the school would approve though.  ;)

3 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

My opinion is that this Calling and Election is similar to the Second Annointing, but one may receive their Calling and Election without having received the ordinance of Second Anointing. 

People conflate the two. Having your calling and election made sure requires receiving the second comforter, the Savior himself laying his hands on you and confirming your part in exaltation.

The second anointing is to prepare and authorize a person to receive that blessing at some point.  It is the ordinance, not the spiritual blessings received as a result.

Confirmation is to Second anointings what the First Comforter is to Calling and Election.

6 hours ago, Calm said:

The kids would likely have plenty of time if they went during school hours.  Not sure the school would approve though. ;)

They go before school and after. My son went during summer, winter and spring breaks. All were busy. Our school had a different spring break than other schools. It was still busy.  

9 minutes ago, cherryTreez said:

They go before school and after. My son went during summer, winter and spring breaks. All were busy. Our school had a different spring break than other schools. It was still busy.  

I am not complaining, just making the joke that if kids cut school and went then, it would likely be free. Not saying they should. In fact, they shouldn’t. Our local temples are light during school hours. 

Edited by Calm

I rang a couple of weeks ago to book a room at temple patron accommodation for the night of Good Friday. Every room was already booked out, and I was third on the stand-by list. But thankfully this afternoon I was told that a bed had opened up for me. Good stuff!

Some of those in our temple district travel more than 3,000 km to the temple. When they come, they come en masse and often fill the temple the whole week.