Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Scientists find massive society


Recommended Posts

Posted
On 2/5/2018 at 9:04 AM, Storm Rider said:

I find these types of archeological finds interesting, but I don't favor jumping on any bandwagons that seek to either prove or disprove the veracity of the Book of Mormon.  I remain in a wait and see kind of position - there is so much we do not know about the history of these two continents and if there are skilled individuals search more and more discoveries will be made which will appear both supportive and/or unsupportive for the veracity of the Book of Mormon.  The story is still unfolding and it will be interesting, but for me it ends at "that's interesting".

If past experience has shown us anything, as a Book of Mormon supporter I would jump on this bandwagon with enthusiasm and gusto, because the wagon may not have far to go before it falls apart.

Posted (edited)

Daniel Peterson has some thoughts on this story.

Takeaway quote: "None of this proves the Book of Mormon true, of course. But it’s certainly consistent with the book’s historical narrative."

Yep.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, smac97 said:

Daniel Peterson has some thoughts on this story.

Takeaway quote: "None of this proves the Book of Mormon true, of course. But it’s certainly consistent with the book’s historical narrative."

Yep.

Thanks,

-Smac

If nothing else, this shows that there is much about Meso American archeology that is still undiscovered and that there were intricate civilizations in those lands that, plausibly, left no superficial evidence. All of which makes the Book of Mormon account seem more tangibly real to me, although I have long accepted it as a genuine record left by ancient peoples.

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, smac97 said:

Takeaway quote: "None of this proves the Book of Mormon true, of course. But it’s certainly consistent with the book’s historical narrative."


As exciting as this find is, it is also consistent with what Alexander von Humboldt, Ethan Smith, Atwater, Boudinot, Spaulding and numerous others were saying about Mesoamerica and North America in the 18th and 19th centuries. The massive cities, highways, canals, earthworks and walled fortifications of native populations were described in a number of books that were published before the Book of Mormon.

Edited by Rajah Manchou
Posted
On 2/8/2018 at 4:01 PM, smac97 said:

Daniel Peterson has some thoughts on this story.

Takeaway quote: "None of this proves the Book of Mormon true, of course. But it’s certainly consistent with the book’s historical narrative."

Yep.

Thanks,

-Smac

Consistent? I thought consistent meant "fair or accurate, done in the same way over time", or "without logical contradictions". Would you care to expand on why you agree that the BofM historical narrative is consistent with the recent finds? The time frame might be a starting point.

Posted
20 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

If nothing else, this shows that there is much about Meso American archeology that is still undiscovered and that there were intricate civilizations in those lands that, plausibly, left no superficial evidence. All of which makes the Book of Mormon account seem more tangibly real to me, although I have long accepted it as a genuine record left by ancient peoples.

If I'm reading you correctly, you are saying the recent finds, actual finds, support that a culture in Meso America could have left no superficial evidence. You're going to have to run that past me one more time.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bcuzbcuz said:

If I'm reading you correctly, you are saying the recent finds, actual finds, support that a culture in Meso America could have left no superficial evidence. You're going to have to run that past me one more time.

That researchers would have had to use "a high-tech aerial mapping technique" to detect "tens of thousands of ... houses, buildings, defense works and pyramids" means that the evidence was not superficial.

Frankly, I thought my meaning would have been clear on its face. I don't understand your confusion. Did you even bother looking at the link?

I understand you've lived abroad for years. Have you lost some of your English proficiency? Here's the word superficial in Swedish: ytlig

 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Posted
21 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

If nothing else, this shows that there is much about Meso American archeology that is still undiscovered and that there were intricate civilizations in those lands that, plausibly, left no superficial evidence. All of which makes the Book of Mormon account seem more tangibly real to me, although I have long accepted it as a genuine record left by ancient peoples.

These are my thoughts as well.

I personally believe that we will, one day, find direct and incontrovertible evidence that the Book of Mormon took place in Mesoamerica.  

Posted
6 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

That researchers would have had to use "a high-tech aerial mapping technique" to detect "tens of thousands of ... houses, buildings, defense works and pyramids" means that the evidence was not superficial.

Frankly, I thought my meaning would have been clear on its face. I don't understand your confusion. Did you even bother looking at the link?

I understand you've lived abroad for years. Have you lost some of your English proficiency? Here's the word superficial in Swedish: ytlig

 

My English is, granted, not like it was. But I do know when an argument lacks substance. Go back and read your BoM and see the numbers involved in the final battles. Then go on line and look into the findings of the battles between the Romans and the Etruscans. Just north of Rome, the finds, that include leads used in slings, to bronze arrowheads, cover over 500 acres of finds. The digs have gone on for years.

Why are there so many finds? Because the battles were extended, over a good number of years, and , even if one can discount the victors exagerations of numbers, there were thousands of soldiers fighting against each other, maybe 3000 or more on each side. 

Thousands of soldiers, 500 acres of finds. 

Your English is undoubtedly better than mine (although I’ll posit my Swedish is better than yours). Superficial is not a word I’d use to describe the finds of significant battles. Now, your turn. Show me something other than superficial finds of the battles from the BoM.

Posted
On 2/3/2018 at 10:14 AM, JAHS said:

I actually agree with you on this, that they are taking advantage of this desire and making a bundle of money off it. 
There's nothing wrong with going on these tours if you are going to just see the sights, but if you are only going expecting to see something that is evidence for the Book of Mormon you are wasting your money.
Nobody knows for sure where it all happened.

Sons and daughters of Lehi have to eat too. I visited Copan as a missionary in CA in 1967. Our DC3 landed in a cornfield near the ruins. No other LDS in sight. Only a few locals were there as guides, but they knew and said nothing about Mormons. I did see and photograph the "Star of David" and the "elephant" on the hieroglyphic pyramid. Incredible place. Who knows what it all means?

Posted
On 2/3/2018 at 10:57 AM, cdowis said:

It is important to note the 15 million inhabitants  --  one argument against the Book of Mormon is the large population, especially  the number of dead at the War of Extinction at the end.

Indeed. It makes So-and-so with his ten thousand more credible.

Posted
13 hours ago, Rajah Manchou said:


As exciting as this find is, it is also consistent with what Alexander von Humboldt, Ethan Smith, Atwater, Boudinot, Spaulding and numerous others were saying about Mesoamerica and North America in the 18th and 19th centuries. The massive cities, highways, canals, earthworks and walled fortifications of native populations were described in a number of books that were published before the Book of Mormon.

They were held in the Palymra town library. There are check-out cards with Joseph Smith's signature on them.

Posted (edited)
On 2/9/2018 at 9:25 AM, Michael Sudworth said:

These are my thoughts as well.

I personally believe that we will, one day, find direct and incontrovertible evidence that the Book of Mormon took place in Mesoamerica.  

That is quite possible; however, I don't think that would result in more people joining the Church. There is no substitute for a witness of the Spirit. Especially when you find out you have to pay tithing, attend three hours of meetings on Sunday,  give up all your vices, and stack hundreds of chairs and tables..

Edited by Bernard Gui
Posted
6 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

They were held in the Palymra town library. There are check-out cards with Joseph Smith's signature on them.

Its quite common for someone to read a book and then tell someone else what they read. Joseph Smith was surrounded by people (Hiram for example) who were educated at universities with libraries that were full of books. A relative of Joseph Smith (who also taught Solomon Spaulding and Ethan Smith) was a professor of oriental languages and theology at Dartmouth, just a few miles from where the Smith family lived for years. He was also the librarian and the owner of a bookshop.

I'm more than open to the Book of Mormon being a historical document, I have faith that it is, but the "Palmyra Library" argument isn't a strong one.

Posted
1 hour ago, Rajah Manchou said:

Its quite common for someone to read a book and then tell someone else what they read. Joseph Smith was surrounded by people (Hiram for example) who were educated at universities with libraries that were full of books. A relative of Joseph Smith (who also taught Solomon Spaulding and Ethan Smith) was a professor of oriental languages and theology at Dartmouth, just a few miles from where the Smith family lived for years. He was also the librarian and the owner of a bookshop.

I'm more than open to the Book of Mormon being a historical document, I have faith that it is, but the "Palmyra Library" argument isn't a strong one.

It was said in jest. As my uncle used to say, ”If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs, but we don’ t have any eggs.”

Posted
8 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

It was said in jest. As my uncle used to say, ”If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs, but we don’ t have any eggs.”

:)Your uncle must have been quite a character...I like his quote.  Kind of leaves me hungry though.

Posted
On 2018-02-10 at 1:18 AM, Bernard Gui said:

They were held in the Palymra town library. There are check-out cards with Joseph Smith's signature on them.

Thanks. An interesting insight.

Posted

Bernard, you really must avail yourself of the emoji group. B:)

There is a vast difference between open fields and jungle . Google earth can enlighten one if needed. Archeologists are still finding items from Biblical times in places that have been walked over for decades/centuries without noticing anything special. Tropical jungle will destroy and cover over habitations very quickly compared to the arid lands of the Bible or even the more temperate lands of the Romans.

Posted
On 2/4/2018 at 11:44 PM, Calm said:

Couldn't that be a problem of too little to work with though?  Voynich Manuscript has over 170,000 characters while the alleged Anthon (or Caractors document) has around 200 (estimate).

Well, sort of, but the Voynich characters don't seem to have any relationship to any known script, and the large number doesn't seem to have helped.  

Posted
On 2/9/2018 at 7:16 PM, Bernard Gui said:

Indeed. It makes So-and-so with his ten thousand more credible.

Yeah, apologists like myself had to do a little tap dance on that one.  Fred Astair would have been proud.

No more, folks.

Posted
On 2/9/2018 at 4:15 PM, Bernard Gui said:

Sons and daughters of Lehi have to eat too. I visited Copan as a missionary in CA in 1967. Our DC3 landed in a cornfield near the ruins. No other LDS in sight. Only a few locals were there as guides, but they knew and said nothing about Mormons. I did see and photograph the "Star of David" and the "elephant" on the hieroglyphic pyramid. Incredible place. Who knows what it all means?

Not sure the Star of David means what you might assume. As far as I know, its use as a symbol for Judaism doesn't date back far enough for the Lehites to have brought it with them.

 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Well, sort of, but the Voynich characters don't seem to have any relationship to any known script, and the large number doesn't seem to have helped.  

This assumes it is a valid language or code.

Posted
5 hours ago, bcuzbcuz said:

Thanks. An interesting insight.

Ah, perhaps you didn't notice he was being facetious about the lending library?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Calm said:

This assumes it is a valid language or code.

I'd like it to be! :D If not, someone went to a LOT of trouble just for a practical joke.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...