The Nehor Posted August 25, 2017 Posted August 25, 2017 (edited) Okay, who is it down in South Texas sinning so bad that God is about to cleanse the whole area? I am not mad. I just want to know. Seriously, if anyone is in the area stay safe and if you are supposed to be evacuating please evacuate. The forecasts just keep getting worse. Edited September 6, 2017 by The Nehor
Tacenda Posted August 25, 2017 Posted August 25, 2017 25 minutes ago, The Nehor said: Okay, who is it down in South Texas winning so bad that God is about to cleanse the whole area? I am not mad. I just want to know. Seriously, if anyone is in the area stay safe and if you are supposed to be evacuating please evacuate. The forecasts just keep getting worse. We were there in July, in and around Dallas and Waco! Is it hitting these areas too? Glad we dodged the storm, stay safe!
ksfisher Posted August 25, 2017 Posted August 25, 2017 2 minutes ago, Tacenda said: We were there in July, in and around Dallas and Waco! Is it hitting these areas too? Glad we dodged the storm, stay safe! My wife is visiting family in the Dallas area right now. She says everything is fine there.
USU78 Posted August 25, 2017 Posted August 25, 2017 My wife's cousins flew out of Houston earlier this week and are spending some time playing in Miami. We visited them last year between floods there and it was a miserable mess.
The Nehor Posted August 25, 2017 Author Posted August 25, 2017 7 minutes ago, Tacenda said: We were there in July, in and around Dallas and Waco! Is it hitting these areas too? Glad we dodged the storm, stay safe! No, I am in DFW and we are expecting maybe a little rain. The coast is in trouble and maybe Houston.
thesometimesaint Posted August 25, 2017 Posted August 25, 2017 Hurricanes are nothing to mess with stay safe by leaving the effected area.
strappinglad Posted August 26, 2017 Posted August 26, 2017 (edited) I predict that the price of gasoline will go up. Lots of refineries could be shut down or damaged by the storm. I had to chuckle when I read that the rain will be of Biblical proportions. Let's see. 36 inches in a couple of days. That's 60 ft of water in 40 days and nights. Well, it's a start I guess. At least it's the kind of Biblical flood that cinepro could agree with. Kidding aside, be safe if you are in the way of that big storm !! Edited August 26, 2017 by strappinglad
The Nehor Posted August 26, 2017 Author Posted August 26, 2017 If anyone wants to see some real life crazy here is a stream from a storm chaser near the eye of this thing. Scary...but awesome. https://www.pscp.tv/Jeff_Piotrowski/1zqKVRbYXWWKB
The Nehor Posted August 26, 2017 Author Posted August 26, 2017 1 minute ago, The Nehor said: If anyone wants to see some real life crazy here is a stream from a storm chaser near the eye of this thing. Scary...but awesome. https://www.pscp.tv/Jeff_Piotrowski/1zqKVRbYXWWKB I want to go get some food but I am afraid I will miss something.......
The Nehor Posted August 26, 2017 Author Posted August 26, 2017 (edited) 6 minutes ago, strappinglad said: Linkee ended. Maybe he got blown away ! It just died a few minutes ago. One of the guys with him tweeted that they are all okay after some near hits from debris. This stuff is what the internet was made for. I am sitting in the comfort of my own home watching a crazy awesome guy narrate from near the eyes of a CAT-4 hurricane. Told me I would be doing that 10 years ago I would have called you a liar. Really makes those pathetic news weather guys who are way outside the area of the storm in a light drizzle talking about a storm look like putzes. Edited August 26, 2017 by The Nehor 1
The Nehor Posted August 26, 2017 Author Posted August 26, 2017 Here is a less exciting stream but looks like he is in hyperspace. https://livestormchasing.com/stream/brandon.clement
The Nehor Posted August 26, 2017 Author Posted August 26, 2017 The good stream is back!!! https://www.pscp.tv/Jeff_Piotrowski/1zqKVRbYXWWKB They are talking about having to break into a building to get shelter.
Okrahomer Posted August 26, 2017 Posted August 26, 2017 I have family in Austin--kind of on the edge of it so far.
Guest Posted August 26, 2017 Posted August 26, 2017 10 hours ago, The Nehor said: Okay, who is it down in South Texas winning so bad that God is about to cleanse the whole area? I am not mad. I just want to know. Seriously, if anyone is in the area stay safe and if you are supposed to be evacuating please evacuate. The forecasts just keep getting worse. My brother lives near Huston TX, worried about him.
The Nehor Posted August 26, 2017 Author Posted August 26, 2017 So far it looks like most of those who should have evacuated have. There are reports of people in the storm wanting rescue but there is no way to get to them. I almost disagree with the mayor who decided not to make the evacuation mandatory but he is right: enforcing the order would put police and fire personnel in danger. In the stream I watched the storm was wripping 12" by 12" I-beams out of the ground with 120-155 mph winds. The streamer made it into the eye but lost connection so no video right now. The real danger and damage will come from the flooding if the storm keeps stalling the way it seems to. That is a lot of water churned up over a small area. No idea how bad the storm surges are yet but it is unlikely to be good.
rongo Posted August 26, 2017 Posted August 26, 2017 It's looking likely that next Saturday's BYU/LSU game in Houston will be relocated (because of flooding aftermath). Now, if they'll agree to come play it up in Provo . . .
Darren10 Posted August 26, 2017 Posted August 26, 2017 (edited) Sorry if you need a facebook to see this. I do not know anywhere else to find this. https://www.facebook.com/tacosoftexas/photos/a.1463997393892179.1073741829.1436488673309718/1800923786866203/?type=3&theater Haha! That's Gringo for, "jaja". Edited August 26, 2017 by Darren10
Darren10 Posted August 26, 2017 Posted August 26, 2017 http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/latter-day-saints-prepare-hurricane-harvey
The Nehor Posted August 28, 2017 Author Posted August 28, 2017 WARNING: This is not a happy post Had a family of evacuees from the coast in our ward. It is steadily getting worse. Houston is slowly drowning. Calls for rescue are being sent everywhere including social media. People are being told not to take refuge in their attic unless they have a way to get to the roof (axe or sledgehammer) because they might get trapped if water continues to rise. 911 is overtaxed and all they can do at this point is make lists. The onramps to the freeways are all flooded and there is no way for vehicles to leave. Some are trying and are getting stranded. There are reports of people with disabled people in their cars. Elderly people unable to climb into the attic to escape. While the reported death toll is currently low that number is very artificial. The true extent of the damage and death toll will not be known for days at this point. This could easily end up being worse then Katrina. The rain is unlikely to let up short of a miracle which Houston could desperately use. Right now it looks like tens of thousands of residences are either flooding or are almost certainly going to and there is a high possibility that will shoot up to hundreds of thousands. There is also the very real possibility that one of the major dams in the area could break. This is unlikely but if it does the death toll will probably hit six figures.
Duncan Posted August 28, 2017 Posted August 28, 2017 8 minutes ago, The Nehor said: WARNING: This is not a happy post Had a family of evacuees from the coast in our ward. It is steadily getting worse. Houston is slowly drowning. Calls for rescue are being sent everywhere including social media. People are being told not to take refuge in their attic unless they have a way to get to the roof (axe or sledgehammer) because they might get trapped if water continues to rise. 911 is overtaxed and all they can do at this point is make lists. The onramps to the freeways are all flooded and there is no way for vehicles to leave. Some are trying and are getting stranded. There are reports of people with disabled people in their cars. Elderly people unable to climb into the attic to escape. While the reported death toll is currently low that number is very artificial. The true extent of the damage and death toll will not be known for days at this point. This could easily end up being worse then Katrina. The rain is unlikely to let up short of a miracle which Houston could desperately use. Right now it looks like tens of thousands of residences are either flooding or are almost certainly going to and there is a high possibility that will shoot up to hundreds of thousands. There is also the very real possibility that one of the major dams in the area could break. This is unlikely but if it does the death toll will probably hit six figures. setus lupetus!!!! I hope the dams don't do that, stay safe brother!
The Nehor Posted August 28, 2017 Author Posted August 28, 2017 6 minutes ago, Duncan said: setus lupetus!!!! I hope the dams don't do that, stay safe brother! I am up in Dallas pretty much completely safe. I am just a weather disaster junkie. I just remembered my North America company headquarters is in Houston (we are a mostly independent subsidiary) and many of the people I work with on larger projects are in the area. I did not forget where it was; I just never made the connection in my brain. I have been looking at flood maps to figure out if the brand new building we built two years ago is flooded or not but it is difficult to get accurate reports without good satellite imagery. Instead you have to go by individual reports which are notoriously inaccurate. I just realized I have more friends then I thought possibly in the middle of this. I also have two girls I have dated down there I have no reason to want drowned (not true of all the women I have dated). One is probably safe but the other........not sure. This is like when I played SimCity as a kid and just kept hitting the disaster button. 1
Duncan Posted August 28, 2017 Posted August 28, 2017 2 minutes ago, The Nehor said: I am up in Dallas pretty much completely safe. I am just a weather disaster junkie. I just remembered my North America company headquarters is in Houston (we are a mostly independent subsidiary) and many of the people I work with on larger projects are in the area. I did not forget where it was; I just never made the connection in my brain. I have been looking at flood maps to figure out if the brand new building we built two years ago is flooded or not but it is difficult to get accurate reports without good satellite imagery. Instead you have to go by individual reports which are notoriously inaccurate. I just realized I have more friends then I thought possibly in the middle of this. I also have two girls I have dated down there I have no reason to want drowned (not true of all the women I have dated). One is probably safe but the other........not sure. This is like when I played SimCity as a kid and just kept hitting the disaster button. well! where I live gets hit every ten years with something, a flood or just BITTERLY cold weather, last time was the winter of 2013/4, it was colder here than on Mars, it was outrageous
The Nehor Posted August 28, 2017 Author Posted August 28, 2017 Ironically one of the biggest problems is going to be potable water. While people could get very hungry most people have some food and it takes a long time to starve. The rising water will not be good to drink and there is no central area from which to distribute water. Sewage plants are already out and so that junk is going to start flowing out. People will probably try to drink the rising water if they have nothing else putting them at risk of disease and reactions like diarrhea that could prove fatal without medical help. Rescue workers are doing the best they can but there was a disagreement on evacuation so there are a lot of people with nowhere to go and no way to set up a central distribution location that can reach the people who need supplies. Helicopters are the best bet and there just will not be enough of them. The National Weather Service has admitted they have no good models of this situation as this situation is pretty unique. The best prediction they has is that the center will go back over the Gulf tomorrow, pick up more water, and keep dumping it through at least Thursday and maybe longer. I feel a little bad for the mayor who did not give an evacuation order because realistically when the roads become clogged and the water rises it could be a death trap. I do hold a bit of contempt (fairly or unfairly) for Governor Abbot. He suggested evacuation at around 1 pm on Friday, way too late for a reasonable evacuation of anything. It smells of political cover so he can say "I told you so" with his all but worthless warning. If anything good comes of this it might be that Texas actually realizes how dangerous its current water infrastructure situation is and ups the budget for maintenance and inspections. I won't hold my breath. Just read that they are now expecting the levees to flood over. Depending on how far they go over this could be anything from lots more damage to biblical catastrophe.
Recommended Posts