Warehouse of Shovels?

No, this isn't a thing about some serial murderer but when we had the groundbreaking for the Temple here some people, my bro. included got to keep the shovel for the sod turning activity. They couldn't find any gold shovels so they had to spray paint them and they have these little tags on them identifying what Temple groundbreaking this was used for and date and that kind of info. My bro was told that the extra shovels are taken to SLC and put into storage, along with the extra shovels from other Temple groundbreakings. If this is the case there must be a several hundred Temple shovels in some storage unit or a warehouse of some capacity. Does anyone know if this place exists and why in Hannah's Heaven do they need to keep all these shovels?This and the fact that my supermarket only sells Starbursts in the gummies and not the regular kind is blowing my mind 60 ways to sunday.

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Duncan, just call the church office building! They're very helpful! :)

They'd probably say, "Listen pal, whatever medication you're on or glue you're eating or drugs you're using you ain't using enough, this is 'Ameerica', we don't know what you're talking about, so I don't know what you your 'dill' is but please stay in 'Kee-Nada":wacko:

11 hours ago, Rain said:

Don't know if it exists,  but it makes sense to keep them for future use.  

No it doesn't make a lick of sense to pay to transport more than  one symbolic shovel per temple for the history museum, much less the storage costs.

On 2017-05-05 at 1:00 AM, Duncan said:

No, this isn't a thing about some serial murderer but when we had the groundbreaking for the Temple here some people, my bro. included got to keep the shovel for the sod turning activity. They couldn't find any gold shovels so they had to spray paint them and they have these little tags on them identifying what Temple groundbreaking this was used for and date and that kind of info. My bro was told that the extra shovels are taken to SLC and put into storage, along with the extra shovels from other Temple groundbreakings. If this is the case there must be a several hundred Temple shovels in some storage unit or a warehouse of some capacity. Does anyone know if this place exists and why in Hannah's Heaven do they need to keep all these shovels?This and the fact that my supermarket only sells Starbursts in the gummies and not the regular kind is blowing my mind 60 ways to sunday.

There is no reason to suppose there were that many shovels left over...how many were handed out to begin with for the ceremony?  If anyone who wanted to could take them home....

I think my husband was at the Payson groundbreaking ceremony.  I will ask him what happened there.

They are gold:

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-11-014-payson-utah-temple-groundbreaking-ceremony?lang=eng

Looks like maybe a couple of dozen at most...my memory is some of our young women took a turn at turning the soil, which would be what the spare shovels at the side would be for I am guessing.  Even if they gave away only half, the rest would still fit in the back of a pickup easily, even in a trunk.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/news/52694330-183/temple-church-construction-oaks.html#&ui-state=dialog

Tucson here:

https://www.lds.org/church/news/president-uchtdorf-dedicates-ground-for-tucson-arizona-temple?lang=eng

Edited by Calm