Seriously No Politics ×

Colorado Members get Letter from First Presidency

Nofear

On 10/14/2016 at 11:27 AM, Calm said:

http://kdvr.com/2016/05/24/prosecutors-colorado-sees-increase-in-murders-motivated-by-marijuana/

"DENVER -- Some prosecutors in Colorado say they're noticing a new trend: An increase in murders motivated by marijuana.

In Aurora, the last 10 of 15 drug-related homicide cases were connected to marijuana.

Arapahoe County District Attorney George Brauchler said it's not the big-time dealers who are involved. For the most part, it has been the small-time ones on the streets.

In Jefferson County, a burned-up car had a dead body inside, and investigators later determined the victim was harvesting marijuana nearly 100 miles away in Agate. When he was killed, he was stuffed into the trunk.

"There is increased crime, sometimes violent crime, associated with legalization of marijuana," Brauchler said. "That's not what you'd expect. You'd expect the harder-core drugs."

Man recent marijuana murder cases involve small-time street dealers getting killed for their marijuana and money.

"If cash is the only way to acquire marijuana, crime follows cash," Brauchler said.

Mark Chafant, 19, is one of many victims. He was allegedly trying to sell a bag of marijuana to some teenagers when he was shot and killed. Calvin Banks and two other juveniles were charged with the crime.

Other cases involve local dealers accused of killing tourists. Brauchler believes the legalization of marijuana is partly to blame for the rise in crime.

"It is easier for there to be black market in a legalized system than there was before," he said.

Brauchler said until law enforcement figures out a way to slow the flow of black market marijuana and the cash that comes with it, the marijuana-related death rate in the state will continue to grow."

-----

Unintended consequences indeed.

We have heard this all before if you are familiar how William Randolph Hearst campaigned to make marijuana illegal.  Blame legalized marijuana on all the drug deals that went bad to make the drug responsible for violence.  Most of this article makes no logical sense at all.  If a person can walk into a dispensary and buy marijuana, why are they still dealing with dealers on the street?  Or If cash is the only way to acquire (food, cars, houses and just about everything else), crime follows cash. Absurd statements like this make the article loose total credibility for me.

There are enough people out there that strongly oppose legalization of marijuana, I am more interested in actual facts than wild newspaper articles.

I personally am opposed to legalization of marijuana.  I would much rather have it somewhat controlled.  But that does not mean that I find these sensational stories believable or based on actual facts.  Especially when they make absolutely no logical sense.  Too many people have an agenda.

58 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

What do you feel about Alzheimers?

It is a horrible disease. We still have a lot to know about it. Fortunately most are not in incurable/intractable pain. Eventually they just forget how to breath. I'm undecided as to what to do about them. Sorry I can't be of more help.

5 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

I haven't made up my own mind on euthanasia. It would have to self initiated, no signs of serious mental health issues(Other than the fact that they are dying), within 6 months of projected death, incurable/intractable pain, able to give legal consent. Even then I have serious reservations about it.

While would you view mental health differently than physical health if they were already terminal?  Are not the desires of dying who have mental health issues as. Important as those who do not?

3 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

It is a horrible disease. We still have a lot to know about it. Fortunately most are not in incurable/intractable pain. Eventually they just forget how to breath. I'm undecided as to what to do about them. Sorry I can't be of more help.

How is mental pain not as traumatic as physical pain?  So that suffering not be as respected as physical pain?  For many, loss of mental ability is worse than loss of physical ability.

2 hours ago, Calm said:

While would you view mental health differently than physical health if they were already terminal?  Are not the desires of dying who have mental health issues as. Important as those who do not?

Suicidal ideation is a different kettle of fish than just about every other mental health issue. Is the person responding to death or because of some metal health issue. such as Clinical Depression. Without getting too technical crazy people need to be treated for their craziness and not incentivized to die. 

8 hours ago, california boy said:

We have heard this all before if you are familiar how William Randolph Hearst campaigned to make marijuana illegal.  Blame legalized marijuana on all the drug deals that went bad to make the drug responsible for violence.  Most of this article makes no logical sense at all.  If a person can walk into a dispensary and buy marijuana, why are they still dealing with dealers on the street?  Or If cash is the only way to acquire (food, cars, houses and just about everything else), crime follows cash. Absurd statements like this make the article loose total credibility for me.

If dispensaries were cheaper and had better quality product that would make sense but they generally have neither. My favorite take on why it should be kept illegal intended for stoners:

Edited by The Nehor
13 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

Suicidal ideation is a different kettle of fish than just about every other mental health issue. Is the person responding to death or because of some metal health issue. such as Clinical Depression. Without getting too technical crazy people need to be treated for their craziness and not incentivized to die. 

Crazy people???

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

Crazy people???

Do we have to change the terminology again? It seems so pointless. The term is sometimes is used as a pejorative so we come up with a nicer term which quickly becomes a pejorative and we have to do it again. When does the cycle end? The whole thing is retarded. :vader: 

Just now, The Nehor said:

Do we have to change the terminology again? It seems so pointless. The term is sometimes is used as a pejorative so we come up with a nicer term which quickly becomes a pejorative and we have to do it again. When does the cycle end? The whole thing is retarded. :vader: 

:DRetarded??

28 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

:DRetarded??

My DIL made this film while in school at Utah State, a campaign of sorts to end using the word "retarded". She is amazing and worked with special needs young adults and many that had Down Syndrome. She was in charge of the Best Buddies USU for one year. I still have to catch myself and not say something is retarded because of this campaign to end the word.

Her video:  

http://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/it-s-about-awareness-best-buddies-usu-working-to-improve/article_5ceb05f6-ce98-11e4-9860-a327fed80842.html#.VQ3ry9BWtkg.facebook

Edited by Tacenda
13 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My DIL made this film while in school at Utah State, a campaign of sorts to end using the word "retarded". She is amazing and worked with special needs young adults and many that had Down Syndrome. She was in charge of the Best Buddies USU for one year. I still have to catch myself and not say something is retarded because of this campaign to end the word.

Her video:  

http://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/it-s-about-awareness-best-buddies-usu-working-to-improve/article_5ceb05f6-ce98-11e4-9860-a327fed80842.html#.VQ3ry9BWtkg.facebook

Loved this video.  What an awesome daughter you have!!  I will spread the word!

My daughter years ago worked with the Make a Wish Foundation at Disney World in Florida..so many little ones and adults that were struggling for just the simple things in life that we often take for granted.  We are all special..all with different talents..and different needs.  Thank you for this!!

45 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Going for irony there. Hope I nailed it.

The mentally retarded are blessed spirits by God. They are like little children who die before the age of accountability who will be saved in the Celestial Kingdom. So when you see someone with mental retardation try to be hopeful about their eternal potential.

On 10/16/2016 at 7:12 PM, thesometimesaint said:

And if there is no hope or help, such as with Dementia?

3 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

There is no cure but there is help. We're working towards finding a cure.

SEE http://www.alz.org/what-is-dementia.asp

From your link:

"While most changes in the brain that cause dementia are permanent and worsen over time, thinking and memory problems caused by the following conditions may improve when the condition is treated or addressed..."

Given that a massive amount of dementia is not caused by depression, vitamin defiencies, thyroid and alcohol and medication, there is no current help for those suffering from that form of dementia.  Dementia is not just a mental illness, there is something physically damaged in the brain.  Why treat the damage left by a stroke differently in terms of ethics than the damage left by a heart attack or a bone break or malformation that causes physical pain?  Physical pain is, after all, just a mental experience the same as mental anguish.  Why is it acceptable to allow a person to die if suffering from physical pain (a mental experience), but not mental pain (the same type of experience)?

Edited by Calm
On 10/14/2016 at 5:33 PM, ksfisher said:

I was told about 5 years ago in a training conducted by a DOT official that 90% of medical marijuana prescriptions in California were issued to 20 to 30 year olds for "chronic pain."

I met someone with a Texas drivers license who had a California medical marijuana card, he was in his 20s.  California is a great example of lack of enforcement.  In my opinion States attempted to learn from California regarding medical marijuana. As a matter of principle and promotion of good health, I can support the Church stance on recreational use.

4 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

It is the  difference between being run over  by a bus, and not being run over by a bus butt hinking you were.

No, it isn't.  It is not just believing one has been hurt, there is actual physical damage occurring to the brain that result in the symptoms. A closer analogy would be the difference between an external and an internal injury or an injury to muscle and bone (obvious) and an injury to a nerve (neuropathy can be extremely painful, but with no 'outward' observable sign of the cause).

Edited by Calm
18 hours ago, provoman said:

I met someone with a Texas drivers license who had a California medical marijuana card, he was in his 20s.  California is a great example of lack of enforcement.  In my opinion States attempted to learn from California regarding medical marijuana. As a matter of principle and promotion of good health, I can support the Church stance on recreational use.

Lack of enforcement?  Why do you say that?  You absolutely have to have a medical marijuana card to even enter a dispensary.  And you don't get a medical marijuana card by having a California drivers license.  That is totally irrelevant.  The criteria is you have to have a doctor's prescription.  

I personally completely support medical marijuana,  Of course not everyone may be in dire need of marijana to help them cope with some illness.  So what?  I would much rather people buy marijuana from a dispensary rather than some drug dealer on the street. And I much rather have the state have some control over it rather than legalize it for everyone.  I voted YES for medical marijuana and in this election I already voted NO for legalization.  Just mailed in my ballot this morning.