Jump to content

Hello to all of you who used to post at ZLMB


Recommended Posts

It was an early LDS forum know as 'Zion's Lighthouse Message Board'.  I was roughly 8-10 years ago ran but an individual named Pacumini [sp].  I am not sure all the details, I but it was a great place to run into anyone from BYU staff to very interesting, intelligent posters covering myriad church topics.  I learned as fast and as much as I could through years of immersion and after being a away a few years (to get married and actually live the faith I studied) I am back.  I am sure there are massive archives of that site somewhere in the bowels of some server.  

Link to comment

Unfortunately when another company bought the website providing all the boards, they dumped the names of all posters who didn't reregister or something, so it is extremely hard to follow the conversations at times.  Also reordered the threads so all my hard work at indexing the archives so threads could easily be found is now useless. (calmoriah/rchivist/calrobinson, one of the mods there)

Link to comment
8 hours ago, TheRealArlonJames said:

It was an early LDS forum know as 'Zion's Lighthouse Message Board'.  I was roughly 8-10 years ago ran but an individual named Pacumini [sp].  I am not sure all the details, I but it was a great place to run into anyone from BYU staff to very interesting, intelligent posters covering myriad church topics.  I learned as fast and as much as I could through years of immersion and after being a away a few years (to get married and actually live the faith I studied) I am back.  I am sure there are massive archives of that site somewhere in the bowels of some server.  

Welcome to the board, TheRealArlonJames!  Is there a fake Arlon James here or an impostor? :) 

For those who don't know you, like myself, it would be great to read more about you and have you introduce yourself.  Where are you now regarding your faith journey?

.

Edited by ALarson
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Calm said:

Unfortunately when another company bought the website providing all the boards, they dumped the names of all posters who didn't reregister or something, so it is extremely hard to follow the conversations at times.  Also reordered the threads so all my hard work at indexing the archives so threads could easily be found is now useless. (calmoriah/rchivist/calrobinson, one of the mods there)

Calmoriah.  Awesome, I do remember you as a mod.  Glad you are still here forcing civility out of the wondering trolls and emotionally unbalanced!  Sorry to hear about the scramble on the old forums, there were some really good threads there over the years.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, ALarson said:

Welcome to the board, TheRealArlonJames!  Is there a fake Arlon James here or an impostor? :) 

For those who don't know you, like myself, it would be great to read more about you and have you introduce yourself.  Where are you now regarding your faith journey?

.

In a nutshell:  It has been at least 7 years that I can remember since ZLMB, maybe longer.  I met a great girls, became an Elder, took her to the temple, have served many callings etc etc.  When I was a poster I was just absorbing all I could to make sure I could defend my faith.  Once I got to the point that I was no longer impressed by ANYTHING our critics had to say; not to mention the Spirit had converted my heart, I stopped and took more than just the action of study.  All the knowledge in the world is great but only the Spirit truly converts.  I found myself defending LDS in YouTube comments of all places but it is a cesspool, so I decided to come here instead.  Also to steer young folks who I find in YT towards forums like this so they can learn instead of sling mud.  Thanks ALarson for asking.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, TheRealArlonJames said:

In a nutshell:  It has been at least 7 years that I can remember since ZLMB, maybe longer.  I met a great girls, became an Elder, took her to the temple, have served many callings etc etc.  When I was a poster I was just absorbing all I could to make sure I could defend my faith.  Once I got to the point that I was no longer impressed by ANYTHING our critics had to say; not to mention the Spirit had converted my heart, I stopped and took more than just the action of study.  All the knowledge in the world is great but only the Spirit truly converts.  I found myself defending LDS in YouTube comments of all places but it is a cesspool, so I decided to come here instead.  Also to steer young folks who I find in YT towards forums like this so they can learn instead of sling mud.  Thanks ALarson for asking.

You're very welcome!  Your story is interesting.

I think you'll be a great addition to the forum and I look forward to interacting with you!  I hope you stick around....

Link to comment
1 hour ago, ALarson said:

Welcome to the board, TheRealArlonJames!  Is there a fake Arlon James here or an impostor? :) 

For those who don't know you, like myself, it would be great to read more about you and have you introduce yourself.  Where are you now regarding your faith journey?

.

Oh, I went with TheRealArlonJames' because that was my handle on ZLMB back in the day but when I registered from here some one else was using Arlon James.  So, you know......

Link to comment

Hi TRAJ and welcome. I went by Stericycle, and RoryMcKenzie56 at ZLMB.

You might find a thread I started here about two years ago to be of interest where I contrast the LDS who defended the CoJCoLDS at ZLMB with many here who want a virtual reformation without waiting for it from your leadership. You might not remember me, but I am a Catholic who became impressed with the way LDS apologists answered difficulties raised by their non-Mormon critics at ZLMB. You don't find many attacks from non-Mormons here. Most of the debate is between LDS parties who have different visions of Mormonism. It has been my belief of late that many Mormons have accepted the criticisms that have been raised and rather than defend their Church, they seem to want change and admission of past sins and/or errors.

    Rory

Link to comment
5 hours ago, 3DOP said:

Hi TRAJ and welcome. I went by Stericycle, and RoryMcKenzie56 at ZLMB.

You might find a thread I started here about two years ago to be of interest where I contrast the LDS who defended the CoJCoLDS at ZLMB with many here who want a virtual reformation without waiting for it from your leadership. You might not remember me, but I am a Catholic who became impressed with the way LDS apologists answered difficulties raised by their non-Mormon critics at ZLMB. You don't find many attacks from non-Mormons here. Most of the debate is between LDS parties who have different visions of Mormonism. It has been my belief of late that many Mormons have accepted the criticisms that have been raised and rather than defend their Church, they seem to want change and admission of past sins and/or errors.

    Rory

Rory:  I have seen the pattern you describe over the years.  There are many elements within church history, doctrine and culture that can, without proper context, instruction and most importantly prayer (with a contrite heart, broken spirit and willing mind) which can create stumbling blocks for even the best of us.  My history was that I became active in my early 20's as a convert.  I was a Priest in the Aaronic Priesthood and very active for about a year until I ran into the tidal wave of claims, slanders, apolologetics and scholarly doubts presented by both member an non-member so I took a three+ year sabbatical, so to speak, and literally spent ALL of my free time in total immersion.  I could not be LDS without the ability to defend my faith, period.  I think LDS who are asking questions about the church are doing exactly what they should, so long as they never neglect their covenant right to discernment though the GotHG.  And never turn from the Scriptures and Living Apostles.  Forums such as this and others are great resources but not a substitute for a broken heart and contrite spirit.

Link to comment

Welcome welcome. You'll find a huge variety of us here. Correlated Mormons, Fundamentalist Mormons, New Order Mormons, Exmormons, Doubting Mormons, Faithful Mormons, Atheist Mormons, and of course our Never Mormons. We get along very well for the most part.

Edited by halconero
Link to comment
23 hours ago, TheRealArlonJames said:

Hello to you as well.  Please be so kind as define for one such as I (those blessed with a room temperature IQ) phrases like 'New Order', Atheist Mormon and so forth.  Thank You ever so much ahead of time.

New Order Mormons are those who might identify with progressive social policies on LGBTQ2+ issues, who believe the Book of Mormon to allegorical rather than historical, who don't believe in the prophetic authority of Church Leadership, but who attend and identify with being a member of the Church. Atheist Mormons are similar in many regards, but more specifically they don't believe in any of the divine claims of the Church or in God at all. Still, they might find value in its community, the literature, and the ritual.

I don't know which category I fall into, except for not really falling into these two, though with an appreciation and understanding of their views.

Link to comment
  • 1 year later...

I was nostalgic, did a google search, found this thread.  Now I'm using my necromantic powers to bring it back!  ZLMB - I will always remember it for two great things, unmatched by any other LDS-themed discussion board:

1- That one thread where the mature posters agreed to switch sides and argue the other perspective, just to see what would happen.  The critics found doctrines/beliefs/practices they could defend, and the faithful did their best to pick something apart.

2- They had a massive LDS-themed "Why did the chicken cross the road" database, containing well over 200 answers.  From scriptural answers, to personality based, to a scene from a musical someone wrote.  I thought I had saved a copy, but can't find it.

Link to comment

I checked in on ZLMB several months ago out of curiosity (I just get too ticked off about the name drops to stick around long though).  It is now erased from existence.  If anyone thinks the Internet will be an eternal archive of your thoughts, think again.  Make backups.

Link to comment
On July 31, 2016 at 1:22 AM, TheRealArlonJames said:

I am back to engage all the fine folks I used to bump into and those who have come along since I last bothered to post on LDS type forums.  I have topics I want to start but must rack up enough side commentary first so, here goes.  Hello etc.

 

AJ

Welcome, form a nobody anywhere else. 

Link to comment
On 7/31/2016 at 10:32 AM, TheRealArlonJames said:

I met a great girls, became an Elder, took her to the temple, have served many callings etc etc.  When I was a poster I was just absorbing all I could to make sure I could defend my faith. 

Uh-oh, the polygamists are trying to break into the board again.

Danite teams, we have a Code Blue emergency!

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...