Have To Take A Break...

The Microsoft tech/security support for my computer is coming to an end and my computer is so old it won't take the "fix" for Windows XP etc.  So my computer is potentially "unprotected."   This is all Greek to me, but my neighbor is going to help me get something new that will work for me... he showed me a small, flat item that could access the internet etc that would do fine for the small amount I use the computer.

I just hope I can get by without my daily "fix" of finding out what you all are doing...

from the beach.... GG

Edited by Garden Girl

GG...just a thought...

IF you are going to abandon using the internet because it is unprotected...you might as well get a doozy of a virus...and then quit.

I have this '78 Toyota pickup, one windshield wiper (driver's side). Most of the rubber seals are gone. When it rains very hard and I am going 50 or more (not much more) I get a little wet because somehow the water pools on a window and it kind of just sprays inside...only a little. My son-in-law says it is going to "throw a rod". Whatever. I use it until it blows up! I go to work once in a while (about 12 miles) and get barkdust or go to the dump with it. I love it. No spare tire either. I use it until something happens. I carry a cell phone with me. I have done that for a few years figuring something would happen. When it does, THEN I quit using it. 

But whatever you decide GG...I think we'd miss you. God bless.

Rory

Edited by 3DOP

The $400 computers on sale at Wal-Mart are adequate for internet access.  You might want to try the AVG free, Spybot, Emsisoft and Malwarebytes.  All have freeware versions that are quite adequate and when updated and run a minimum of once a week should keep you going safely.  AVG can be setup to run automatically every day.

Edited by ERayR

The Microsoft tech/security support for my computer is coming to an end and my computer is so old it won't take the "fix" for Windows XP etc.  So my computer is potentially "unprotected."   This is all Greek to me, but my neighbor is going to help me get something new that will work for me... he showed me a small, flat item that could access the internet etc that would do fine for the small amount I use the computer.

I just hope I can get by without my daily "fix" of finding out what you all are doing...

from the beach.... GG

Good luck, GG, and hurry back.

What a sec, you don't need to get a new comp because microsoft is not "supporting" their product. I have had virus on my computers when they did support the OS. What stops virus and other crap from happening is something like trendmicro. It is about 50 bucks a year and I can have it on up to 3 comps at a time. That is active anti-virus and malware protection. It even scans websites before you go to them to let you know if there is a threat. I still have a comp that is used on a regular basis that has XP. And FYI that last time they had a windows update for XP was a while ago. Really all this is is a way for microsoft to say, "Hey, you need a new product from us spend another 100 dollars for Window's 8".

Either way I hope you find something that works for you. And I would not spend 400 dollars at walmart for a comp. I do repect ErayR for his opinions but I don't not agree with what he is saying on this one point.

If you want I can help you with a new purchase or talk to you about other options just IM me. I do IT work for the company I work for so I am kind of in the industry.

What a sec, you don't need to get a new comp because microsoft is not "supporting" their product. I have had virus on my computers when they did support the OS. What stops virus and other crap from happening is something like trendmicro. It is about 50 bucks a year and I can have it on up to 3 comps at a time. That is active anti-virus and malware protection. It even scans websites before you go to them to let you know if there is a threat. I still have a comp that is used on a regular basis that has XP. And FYI that last time they had a windows update for XP was a while ago. Really all this is is a way for microsoft to say, "Hey, you need a new product from us spend another 100 dollars for Window's 8".

Either way I hope you find something that works for you. And I would not spend 400 dollars at walmart for a comp. I do repect ErayR for his opinions but I don't not agree with what he is saying on this one point.

If you want I can help you with a new purchase or talk to you about other options just IM me. I do IT work for the company I work for so I am kind of in the industry.

You misunderstand the 400 buck computer is just one option if her computer was not functioning.  To keep it clean from viruses and malware I go the freeware route that I outlined.

You misunderstand the 400 buck computer is just one option if her computer was not functioning.  To keep it clean from viruses and malware I go the freeware route that I outlined.

Yeah I know, I get it too. No one wants to spend money on stuff. I just have some options that are not a whole lot more than that and my experience with AVG, tells me that 50 bucks a year for some serious anti-viral protection is cheep. I have even had a virus with AVG. BUT either way my offer stands for GG assuming she can even read this.

I let GG know of your offer, Mola, her neighbour may have taken care of things already but if she wants a second opinion (which I always think is a good idea) she may be contacting you.

Again, I think you're sweet.

Yes, thanks so much, Mola... As you can see, I can still post, etc., and all the past updates remain in effect.  I just won't be receiving any future updates and my computer is currently unprotected... I'll try to figure this out in the next couple weeks..

GG

Yes, thanks so much, Mola... As you can see, I can still post, etc., and all the past updates remain in effect.  I just won't be receiving any future updates and my computer is currently unprotected... I'll try to figure this out in the next couple weeks..

GG

OK. Sounds good. Just keep us updated if you need something in terms of hardware, IE, a new comp.

I am going to add that you can try window's defender. It is free and it does a pretty fair job of protecting your system.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

Just found this, this is a really good deal. I paid 50 bucks and it auto renews every year. I really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Trend-Micro-Titanium-Internet-Security/dp/B00ENFYLN0

It would probably be 50 bucks to renew next year. This is great stuff and it will really protect your comp. I have not had a virus on any of my 3 comps since getting this 3 years ago. I used to get on average 1 virus a year. And it was mostly because of my wife. The kids are now on line too so I am telling you this is good stuff.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

Mola, this is very kind of you.

What can I say? GG has always been very nice to me, well, everyone else too. So this is the least I can do.

Yeah I know, I get it too. No one wants to spend money on stuff. I just have some options that are not a whole lot more than that and my experience with AVG, tells me that 50 bucks a year for some serious anti-viral protection is cheep. I have even had a virus with AVG. BUT either way my offer stands for GG assuming she can even read this.

I have a pretty savvy tech guy which I consult with.  It was his recommendation that caused me to elect to go with those four freeware versions instead of the paid versions.

It is good of you to offer GG your expertise.

Edited by ERayR

GG, here's hoping you are getting a new set up soon.  All I can do is empathize, I've had the same experience, at least 2 times now.  I just have Norton right now because it is offered free from Comcast, hopefully it's enough protection.  But I've learned to exit out of any pop ups now, that say to run a program that supposedly helps my system.  Also, I check all the downloaded programs on the Control Panel under "programs and features", it might be different on your end.  Then check the dates to see if something has downloaded or if I've accidently downloaded a program and then "uninstall" any program that isn't suppose to be there.  It helps to check the dates!   

Take care there on that beautiful Oregon coast of yours!! :)

I have a pretty savvy tech guy which I consult with.  It was his recommendation that caused me to elect to go with those four freeware versions instead of the paid versions.

It is good of you to offer GG your expertise.

OK fair enough. As I thought about it the major down fall, and it was more my fault, was that with AVG you have to click to update AVG daily. And I think I forgot to do that that led to the virus. I think that is something that should be discussed. I think AVG is probably a fine product. But me, I forget things sometimes and it is nice to have something that automatically updates and actively scans with out me doing anything other than turning on my comp. 

Either way, I am the of person that likes to explain what people are getting so they can make the best decision on a product, even if it is not what I recommend.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

from the beach.... GG

I do I.T. for a living and am my parents official support. I got them to Win7 years ago. I try to keep them affordabley updated with their home tech. If it were possible, I'd have them get a Chromebook. Perfect for people whose computer usage is email, documents, spreadsheets and surfing. BUT, there is one Windows program that they can't do without, to work on their genealogy. So. The last computer purchase I made for them was during Christmas shopping season, and Newegg had awesome deals. If you can hold off purchasing until Nobember, and then shop the Christmas deals, that is what I would do.

Until then, malwarebytes is a good, free, protection.

I hope you don't get windows 8, I don't like it

I've heard conflicting opinions about Windows 8... will take my time...

but I hope your computer gets fix 

My computer works fine... it's just old and slow... I still have dial-up.  I'm able to use it like now, but it is "unprotected."  Trying to upgrade is too much trouble.  I'd rather get something more modern.  I only want access to Internet, email and this forum because I don't do anything online like most people do... no personal business etc.  I'm too old a dog for some of those new tricks... :o

Everyone at Church seems have these iPads(?) or tablets(?) instead of carrying their quads... I love my paper scriptures, but I am indeed impressed with how easy they can navigate scriptures... when I retired 23 years ago, computers were just coming to the forefront and we were in the process of converting the library card catalog to online.  It was a huge effort... I thought I was really something because I had word processing... but to someone who had to make carbon copies (up to 7) of 10+-page faculty promotion evaluations and then have to re-do numerous pages if the review committee changed a sentence or added anything... AAARRRGGGHHHH.... When word processing came into being it was like a miracle... I learned to type on a manual and was tested for speed on a manual when I applied for my first job... I think I passed 100 wpm... certainly 80.

I shouldn't get started down these roads... but it is so funny when I look back over how tech has advanced... you all have these hand held devices, including phones that can do miraculous things... I just find it hard to adjust my thinking...

GG