Fairmormonsupport.org

DBMormon

Well as many of you may know F.A.I.R. has changed over to FAIRMORMON. In conjunction with this the discussion board to assist those with questions, in a faith crisis, or needing support helping a family member, friend, or ward member in crisis has also been updated and is now up and running.

http://FairMormonSupport.org

This site like the previous version will not allow snarkiness from anyone including faithful or critic. In fact if anyone can get away with a little venting, it will be the doubter in crisis. This board is only for those who need answers and support and are wanting to lead with faith (critics wishing to hurt faith need not apply). This forum seeks to help people and is not a place to win arguments or to attempt to prove the Church false or wrong, but rather a SAFE place where members with questions can go to work out the emotion of a faith crisis or getting support while they interact with someone struggling. I realize this may not fit many of you  But this would also be a good place for those you know who might be struggling or spouses, friends, leaders who need support.  if you know someone who desires to believe and needs help putting together a paradigm where faith in the restored gospel can be nourished and can flourish.

Hope you might help spread the word in places where those with questions might find it.

Bill Reel

Well as many of you may know F.A.I.R. has changed over to FAIRMORMON. In conjunction with this the discussion board to assist those with questions, in a faith crisis, or needing support helping a family member, friend, or ward member in crisis has also been updated and is now up and running.

http://FairMormonSupport.org

This site like the previous version will not allow snarkiness from anyone including faithful or critic. In fact if anyone can get away with a little venting, it will be the doubter in crisis. This board is only for those who need answers and support and are wanting to lead with faith (critics wishing to hurt faith need not apply). This forum seeks to help people and is not a place to win arguments or to attempt to prove the Church false or wrong, but rather a SAFE place where members with questions can go to work out the emotion of a faith crisis or getting support while they interact with someone struggling. I realize this may not fit many of you  But this would also be a good place for those you know who might be struggling or spouses, friends, leaders who need support.  if you know someone who desires to believe and needs help putting together a paradigm where faith in the restored gospel can be nourished and can flourish.

Hope you might help spread the word in places where those with questions might find it.

Bill Reel

because it is a forum designed to help people with answers.  It is apologetically based.  It was in my opinion, more fitting here.

it is operated by FairMormon.  I would consider it different from Staylds in that it's end goal is for people to reconcile their crisis in a way that they still fully believe, hope, have faith in the restored gospel.  I would say Staylds focuses more on keeping them connected to the perceived good in Mormonism regardless of level of belief or orthodoxy.  Not sure I want to get into calling one more faithful then another

Ok, Bill, I'll sign up. But I'm afraid I myself don't rise to the level of "reconcile their crisis in a way that they still fully believe, hope, have faith in the restored gospel." For example, am I reading you correctly, that you are equating the "restored gospel" with the LDS Church? I can accept that the Church is the current best guardian of the Gospel (that I know of), and that God Himself worked with Joseph & others to start up the Church for the benefit of all people, but some things I'm not fully on board with.

I mean, I'm at a place where I can honestly pass a temple recommend interview, but there's a lot of the old orthodoxy in me that is gone forever. I love the Church. I am happy to be 100% orthoprax. But my thinking & belief has gone a bit 'off' the correlated, CES-ized path.

Ok, Bill, I'll sign up. But I'm afraid I myself don't rise to the level of "reconcile their crisis in a way that they still fully believe, hope, have faith in the restored gospel." For example, am I reading you correctly, that you are equating the "restored gospel" with the LDS Church? I can accept that the Church is the current best guardian of the Gospel (that I know of), and that God Himself worked with Joseph & others to start up the Church for the benefit of all people, but some things I'm not fully on board with.

I mean, I'm at a place where I can honestly pass a temple recommend interview, but there's a lot of the old orthodoxy in me that is gone forever. I love the Church. I am happy to be 100% orthoprax. But my thinking & belief has gone a bit 'off' the correlated, CES-ized path.

Can you set those things aside and rather then try to win people to your point of view, help them towards regaining faith?  Will your personal views (I have my own) detract from helping those in a faith crisis?  If not then there shouldn't be an issue

Can you set those things aside and rather then try to win people to your point of view, help them towards regaining faith? Will your personal views (I have my own) detract from helping those in a faith crisis? If not then there shouldn't be an issue

"If the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?" (1 Cor. 14:8 )

because it is a forum designed to help people with answers.  It is apologetically based.  

And it should be noted this is its only function (in the sense of providing answers and emotional and other forms of support for those needing those answers or helping others find such answers themselves).  It is not to be a social board or just a board for casual discussion...at least that is my understanding, that the conversations are meant to be able to take the "Ask the Apologist" question function to the next level of a more one on one ongoing interaction.

I would suggest that a good prediction of what the board should be like would be to ask oneself if one has or would write FairMormon's "ask the apologist" for information and if so, then it is likely the board will be appropriate for what one would like to discuss...though we do get a few people sending stuff in to promote their favourite gospel hobby horse and the board is NOT for that purpose.

Hi Jolly, we are not looking for people to sign up unless they feel the need to do so as we don't want to just add traffic/people to the board but for people to go there with a specific purpose in mind, though if you feel you can contribute to helping someone who is having a faith crisis or is dealing with someone who is having one or who is trying not to have one (and all other variations) I am not telling you not to.   :)

It will be highly moderated and I would hate for people to be banned if they came there with good intentions but didn't realize it was a limited purpose board and thought it was more like here....so just throwing out some cautions here...be sure and read the board's guidelines and info before signing up for further information about it.  

Who are the people providing the answers? If I am going to direct people to that board, I'd like to know they're in capable hands. Are Kevin Barney or Greg Smith or Michael Ash involved? Because there really aren't too many others I'd be comfortable offering as guides to someone in a "faith crisis."

Thus I think cal's cautions should be taken to heart so it doesn't become a forum where the blind are leading the blind or where there is pooled ignorance. (There is already too much of that with Dehlin's projects.)

That said, I really don't have a dog in the fight, as I am not part of the FairMormon organization, though I do admire and approve of the work it does.

Thanks for letting us know. I registered and I hope I can be helpful.

I registered there last April (same old Stargazer), but completely forgot until I saw this topic. 

Thanks for reminding me!

Who are the people providing the answers? If I am going to direct people to that board, I'd like to know they're in capable hands. Are Kevin Barney or Greg Smith or Michael Ash involved? Because there really aren't too many others I'd be comfortable offering as guides to someone in a "faith crisis."

I would suggest sending them first to the ATA question function (and certainly they can include a request for input from a particular person or persons) and then if they want additional information or discussion after a few emails, they can go to the board.  My understanding of the board's function (and granted I am not as familiar with it as DB as I haven't had a chance to check it out myself this week since I've been busy with other stuff) is to be more supportive rather than just supplying information as we generally do with the ATA stuff where we expect at most a few emails from the individual for the answer and any additional clarifications, but don't really get the chance to develop an ongoing relationship.

Once I am more familiar with the process, I will come back here and post more info.

Thus I think cal's cautions should be taken to heart so it doesn't become a forum where the blind are leading the blind or where there is pooled ignorance. (There is already too much of that with Dehlin's projects.)

There seems to be a lot of hope on that board amongst the 'afflicted' that the Church is somehow changing in terms of doctrine.  I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to lead them on in that false hope.  The Church hasn't changed doctrinally on Plural Marriage, the Priesthood ban, or homosexuality so there is no reason to hope for it to change on it now.  The board looks pretty slow. Maybe I'd consider posting there if there was more activity.  DB, perhaps you should extend your invitation on 'Shadier' boards to draw in more of those struggling with doubt.

The board looks pretty slow. Maybe I'd consider posting there if there was more activity. 

Slow is not a bad thing.  We don't want people going there for entertainment or debate or to "prove" the gospel to the ones having issues.

Archived